Space Rock Opera Remix 01001001

Brandon Strader

multiplayer.png

Space Quest remix, turning it into a rock Opera. Collecting vocalists.

Sources:

Intro

The Deltaur Intercepts

The Data Cartridge

Thrusting Through Space

Orat's Cave

Vocalists:

wildfire - Communications Officer

rhapsodos - Angel

ToN - Ghost

Cyril - Orat, maybe.... Roger?

Chernabogue - Navigator

Brandon - Alien Hunter

Instruments:

wildfire - Trumpet

Shrack - live percussion

Obtuse - bass

halc - chiptune breakdown

Fratto - Tuba / Trombone

Don't think that just because you're an undiscovered talent that you can't sign on. YOU are who I am looking for specifically. But it's also open to the likes of.. without naming names... pretty much any talented singer with a microphone.

Is this an album project, NO. Is this going to take months, NO (edit: YES ROFLOLOLOLOLOLO). It's a song I am going to make, preferably when I get a new midi keyboard or when mine gets fixed. There's not a deadline because I am just going to write the parts / lyrics, and send them out, and then get reference mp3s from the singers and eventually their final 16-bit wav raw track of vocals. :-)

Update 10/26: I think I've found all of the sources we need. The song will probably end up being 7 minutes long *sigh*. Hopefully that doesn't hurt the quality too much when I lower the kbps for OCR, but ya'll will get 320kbps versions when it's done anyways.

Update 11/06: Everyone has a character assigned. :-)

Edited by Brandon Strader

Bass, Drums, Vocals, whatever's needed. I also play keys, just not as well.

We've got a bassist! One's enough :-D

How are your vocals? Could you post a clip?

Drums? Do you mean a live drumkit? Could you post a clip of that as well, because that would be really fantastic.

As far as keys go, I've got that covered.. I'm not 100% decided yet, but it'll probably have some combination of Zebra 2, chipsounds, poizone, cubase synths, etc... The idea is to have it be like a space orchestra of synths. But I don't want to go overboard. So it'll be like an orchestral backing but a bit subtle, except for the leads, which are leads.

Like DragnBreth said before, Star One is a good example of how it may sound

Cool, guys! If we get too many vocalists, "lead" parts for each person might be a bit short, but we could try to do a cool layered part for the end of the song. :-P

I wasn't really planning any growly vocals. I do want the song to be band-oriented and sound legit in that way but I'm afraid to make it too repetitive, but I'll find a way to get lead vocal parts in there for everybody.

We've got a bassist! One's enough :-D

How are your vocals? Could you post a clip?

Drums? Do you mean a live drumkit? Could you post a clip of that as well, because that would be really fantastic.

As far as keys go, I've got that covered.. I'm not 100% decided yet, but it'll probably have some combination of Zebra 2, chipsounds, poizone, cubase synths, etc... The idea is to have it be like a space orchestra of synths. But I don't want to go overboard. So it'll be like an orchestral backing but a bit subtle, except for the leads, which are leads.

Like DragnBreth said before, Star One is a good example of how it may sound

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Mt_Mega listen to 'See His Love', its the most recent song, I'm doing everything but the guitar. This is my 'feel good' tempo.

I also recorded this recently, http://www.supload.com/listen?s=1p5FuZ but its a work in progress. While I like drumming for slow songs, singing them proves difficult.

Thanks for the offer man! But you know I play guitar too. And it'd be easier for me to write if I'm sittin' here riffing it out, and mixing the live tone would be easier cause I'm getting used to it... :-o

If you got some kind of live thing you can do with a microphone though, let me know. :-D

As for the synth portion of the song, just signed on halc for some "chiptune breakdown" -- will definitely be interesting!

@IntoTheSky looking for drums that are a lot more in the style of power drums! I'll probably end up programming them with superior 2. Also I like how your "See His Love" had like black metal production.. It sounded like burzum / darkthrone meets Christian rock. :-P

Just chiming in to say I love the idea. When I saw the title I wasn't sure whether you were remixing the Ayreon album or something else entirely though.

Yah I slapped up some binary to catch peoples' attention. I guess it worked. 01001001 is roman numeral I :-D

I thought it were a fitting title for this song or whatever. I'm excited to get projects done so I can do more little things like this. :-)

Also I forgot to say this, but vocalists I've never heard like Chernabogue and ToN, please hook me up with a clip of your vocals so I even know what type of range I'll be writing for there. o_O

• 2 weeks later...

Hi hi.

People involved, thanks! I want to assign characters to the people involved. To do so, I need (1) a vocal clip of you, and (2) your own personal assessment of the kind of vocal character you could play in a space opera. To help with this process, here is a list of the vocalists followed by a dash and three question marks. Please help me turn the question marks into, if nothing else, your character's NAME. If you have an idea for a personality for your character, say that too. This will help make a unique part / lyric writing process. Don't be afraid to make creative choices, like cast yourself as an alien. However, we DO need more crew members than aliens. Someone needs to play Orat, the big alien boss.

wildfire - Communications Officer

rhapsodos - Angel

ToN

Cyril - ??? (gotta ask: Orat)

Chernabogue - Navigator?

Brandon - Alien Hunter

I really like the idea of this remix and I think it would be awesome to do more like this one in the future. Let's see how this one goes. I'm going to add it to my to-do list in the general area of which I can begin working on it.

Edit: Also we should vote on a "band name" for OCR use that encompasses everyone who will be working on the song. I'm putting it up for debate / discussion because I don't want to choose something myself that people will object to being called.

need name

Do you have some examples of crew members/other characters we could do? And what kind of vocal you're looking for these characters? It would help to choose a character :)

I was really just hoping for characters in a conceptual way that would help me write lyrics. I think trying to actually portray a character with a specific type of voice, or "acting", would be too cheesy.

I'm interested in playing drums. As in, live kit. I don't have any youtube videos but you can check out www.myspace.com/virtuousarmor if you want to hear my drumming.

Can you record the live acoustic drums or are they electronic ones? If electronic, do you record midi notes for 'em? ;-)

Choosing a "character" may be confusing

It's really just to help with writing the lyrics. Except in the case of Orat. Maybe Cyril could play Orat for a few lines, but have a "regular" character for his clean voice. :-)