Keiji Inafune leaves Capcom

StarZander

A few days ago, my Software Engineering professor talked about something he called the Bus Factor, meaning, how many employees of a company have to die in a bus accident to destroy the company. Mega Man is one of, if not the biggest, franchise of Capcom, so if Capcom has a Bus Factor of 1, then they're doomed.

In reality though I imagine it's higher than 1, but this is still a big hit to Capcom.

Mega Man is one of, if not the biggest, franchise of Capcom

Wait, what?

Guys, I hate to break it to you but...Mega Man doesn't really seem all that popular now a days. I mean sure I guess Mega Man 9 and... I don't know whatever Zero X whatevs things they release every few years on DS sorta do OK maybe in Japan, but I mean...I'm willing to bet that Mega Man isn't the majority of Capcom's income.

And...for the most part...Inafune has been an executive producer for recent games...

...do you understand what an execute producer does?

Hint: Not much involving game play or design.

...which is why he's leaving.

Also also: They need to stop making Mega Man games anyway. Just saying.

I'm willing to bet that Mega Man isn't the majority of Capcom's income.

Making 8-bit Megaman games won't eat all their budget at once either. :D

Also also: They need to stop making Mega Man games anyway. Just saying.

Unfortunately (or not, depends), Capcom (much like Konami) has never been about taking risks, but about making sequels (and easy profit - Street Fighter 2 anyone?). They took a few chances last year, and it ended badly. So we better brace ourselves for Resident Evil 9, Street Fighter VII and of course Megaman 22. Just saying. ;)

Seems like Capcom is shedding its "old skin" one name at a time.

From indepedent, to directing, seems like big changes are in store.

But I can't disagree, every title they've produced does seem more Americanized.

Curious though where Inafune may go next. Maybe Grasshopper?

Or who knows where?

Unfortunately (or not, depends), Capcom (much like Konami) has never been about taking risks, but about making sequels (and easy profit - Street Fighter 2 anyone?). They took a few chances last year, and it ended badly. So we better brace ourselves for Resident Evil 9, Street Fighter VII and of course Megaman 22. Just saying. ;)

Ah, it brings this back to my mind...

Funny thing is, many of the games they've made fun of really have done exactly what they claimed they would do ('Old man' snake? Devil May Cry IV?).

Wait, what?

Guys, I hate to break it to you but...Mega Man doesn't really seem all that popular now a days. I mean sure I guess Mega Man 9 and... I don't know whatever Zero X whatevs things they release every few years on DS sorta do OK maybe in Japan, but I mean...I'm willing to bet that Mega Man isn't the majority of Capcom's income.

And...for the most part...Inafune has been an executive producer for recent games...

...do you understand what an execute producer does?

Hint: Not much involving game play or design.

...which is why he's leaving.

Actually, here's last year's report:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Here-Are-Capcom-039-s-Best-Selling-Franchises-111220.shtml

And here's this year's:

http://thesilentchief.com/2010/07/30/resident-evil-still-capcoms-best-selling-franchise/

So while Mega Man's not where the majority of their profits come from, it is where a very significant chunk of them come from. Since there's actually over 100 different Mega Man games, that's not such a surprise. Sales for his games may be on a bit of a decline recently, but they're still pretty damn popular.

Agreed on the executive producer part - Keiji's not done much with the actual gameplay in most Capcom games lately. He's been more of a figurehead, hence why he wants to leave - he wants to be much more involved in the actual creation of the games.

So unless him leaving lands a serious blow to the morale of the actual developers and designers, actual gameplay and quality of it won't change that much.

Well. . .

We think we know what happened here: It wasn't that Capcom higher-ups, uh, encouraged him out for his critical statements, or that Inafune received a more lucrative offer from one of the Western publishers he has become so fascinated with -- it's just that his Mega Man Legends 3 character design got last place.

I lol'd

I kinda prefer this chick over any of the other designs anyways:

devroompic.jpg

I strongly doubt his absence will delay MegaMan Legends 3 in any way, because he was just producing it. Capcom will most likely continue development without him.

Unfortunately, it's sad to see him go, but fortunately, he isn't dead. So we'll see more original IP's from him.

It's not like his name is Gunpei Yokoi or anything.

I would have liked that design best if she were, you know, wearing some pants or something. The hood and cloak design, along with the goggles, makes for an interesting outfit with lots of combinations within the single design. But the slutty underclothing really ruins it.

My favourite came in 6th place, even beaten out by that ugly, barren design in the yellow, which got 5th. Hell's heart, stabbing, etc is still in effect.

I was kinda sad when I first read this. :(

I would have liked that design best if she were, you know, wearing some pants or something. The hood and cloak design, along with the goggles, makes for an interesting outfit with lots of combinations within the single design. But the slutty underclothing really ruins it.

My favourite came in 6th place, even beaten out by that ugly, barren design in the yellow, which got 5th. Hell's heart, stabbing, etc is still in effect.

Yeah, I kind of agree.

I really liked the met-girl's design. A little ditzy looking, but other than that I'm drawn to it.