OCR02185 - *YES* Dennis 'Desktop Dynamite'

OceansAndrew

Contact info:

ReMixer: DarkSim

Website (well, tindeck account): http://www.tindeck.com/users/DarkSim

User account: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=33879

Submission Info:

Game ReMixed: Dennis (US Title - Dennis The Menace)

Original song arranged: No strict title, but it's from level 1, "Mr. Wilson's House" (MOD file attached, or

)

Original Composer: Not 100% sure, after a Google search I arrived at Paul Tankard, but it's possible he only ported the music.

Comments:

This is my first attempt at a serious ReMix, having only just started to make electronic music recently. I stumbled upon the source tune after trawling through an old folder on my computer one night whilst looking for inspiration. This track immediately jumped out at me as having massive potential for a high-energy style mix, and so that's the feeling I've tried to convey.

I chose the Amiga as the system to remix because it was my first "gaming" system, and after our 500 packed up we upgraded to a 1200, which came with 2 games - Dennis being one of them - in a pack called "Desktop Dynamite", hence the name. I could never get very far with the game, so I was always playing level 1 over and over, and listening to this music must have made an impression!

Thanks to everyone who commented in the WiP thread, especially phantasia and Rozovian, for excellent constructive help. Hope you enjoy :)

DarkSim

Some really cool textures and sounds added to a pretty interesting source. I'd never really imagine the sortof creepy track matching up with the wacky hi-jinx of Dennis the Menace, but it is what it is. The game itself also seems to be creepy, going around Mr. Wilson's mansion stealing money, and trying to avoid him.

I dig the sound of this; it seems to me like a combination of Mazedude and Sole Signal (side note- guys, make that happen!), with some cool beats and interesting transitions combined with a lot of good synths and attention to detail. Production is decent, and the arrangement is varied and expansive. I can also guarantee that this will be the first (and possibly last?) Dennis the Menace remix, but maybe some awesome remixer will prove me wrong. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree with OA. Definitely a very cool source tune choice that I'm glad you put on my radar.

I thought the arrangement felt a little static as far as the overall soundscape. There were different sounds being employed here and there, but the production and sound palette got old as the track went on. The machine gun drumming swell at 3:56 sounded like it clipped/distorted at the finish, but it wasn't a huge deal.

That said, I'm feeling what I'm hearing overall, DarkSim, and this was a solid expansive take on the original. Very glad to see yet another new game get some love! Hope to hear more great stuff from you.

YES

Pretty cool source from a game you wouldn't have expected it. Mr. Wilson looks HELLA creepy, by the way. I like where you've taken the track, the style change is done well and the arrangement is pretty solid. I can see Larry's point on the overall sounds starting to just wear on you after a while, but I don't think it's too bad.

Nice work picking an obscure game and giving us a good mix out of it!

YES

OA's right: a creepy track like this isn't what comes to mind when I think of Dennis. While watching that youtube video with the source tune, I kept thinking, "make the kid rounder and give him a mustache and this is the Addams Family for SNES". The gameplay is similar.

There's a lot to like in this arrangement. Production is solid, the new melodies compliment the old, there's a good flow, and you personalized the track. On that basis alone, I think it's passable. I do agree with some of the criticisms that the track leans static. The breakdown should have done something more drastic, like cut the syncopated pads, bring in some FX, and overdrive the drums, maybe. Because of how similar it was to the high-gear sections, it sounded pretty samey. But I'm cool passing this - keep it in mind next time!

YES