Xbox Dash Update / Kinect

Brandon Strader

500x_xbl_update.jpg

We get what, one major dashboard update per year. I thought this was spongeworthy. The update is for Kinect, but since most of us won't have that / won't be getting it until we find out it's legit, I'll just focus on the other stuff for now. (But please, feel free to post once you've got Kinect or about your plans -- no flaming, keep it adult in here. :-))

Here's some of the stuff we're looking towards:

- Netflix search update

- ESPN

- Zune Music

- Friggin pages aren't 3D no more now they're 2D flat tabs lol

- (above) Kinect Support :-P

- Improved voice quality / codec

- Revamped on-screen keyboard yay

- Easier Marketplace browsing apparently

- You can sign out other controllers now with your main one, I think

There's a few other things but they seemed less interesting to mention, like that it is easier to get on a wireless network... who games wirelessly? I got a line going through the basement to hook up my stuff via ethernet.

So when this thang drops tomorrow, we can discuss it further. I think Kinect drops on November 4th, so we've a few days yet until we can really discuss that if anyone is planning on getting it.

340x.gif

no he thinks that the way bleck and I post should be confined to offtop

Well all the I do too too too's and nonsense instead of actually talking about the Dash update or Kinect, it's not really on topic. But on the topic of gaming wirelessly, how many of you actually play FPS regularly? That's the kind of game that would need a wired connection. :3 And since we're on the topic of Xbox360 I think that's a valid statement, since it's really the main FPS console. :-o

Well all the I do too too too's and nonsense instead of actually talking about the Dash update or Kinect, it's not really on topic. But on the topic of gaming wirelessly, how many of you actually play FPS regularly? That's the kind of game that would need a wired connection. :3 And since we're on the topic of Xbox360 I think that's a valid statement, since it's really the main FPS console. :-o

I played Halo Reach, and before that Halo 3 online quite a bit and I had no wireless problems whatsoever.

All of the I do too's were in response to your "who games wirelessly" which WAS in the OP so I think it's on topic. :P

Obviously everyone not playing FPS aren't real gamers and thus doesn't count when talking about who plays with wi-fi. The main platform for FPS is still PC by the way, especially considering online.

Stop being on some kinda mission to be right and talk about the update yourself instead :pretzel:

Stop being on some kinda mission to be right and talk about the update yourself instead :pretzel:

This is clearly your first dealing with Brandon. (I love how he only cited my post specifically as nonsense.)

In any case, since we have to be on topic and adult in this thread, I'll comment on how the Dashboard 'pages are 2D'. That's funny. That makes the interface look kind of plain.

Reminds me of switching internet browser tabs on the iPhone.

Obviously everyone not playing FPS aren't real gamers and thus doesn't count when talking about who plays with wi-fi. The main platform for FPS is still PC by the way, especially considering online.

I said console, not platform. I didn't say anything about "real gamers" either. Since when is being a real or fake gamer some kind of achievement? :-P

Stop being on some kinda mission to be right and talk about the update yourself instead

It's not out yet

This is clearly your first dealing with Brandon. (I love how he only cited my post specifically as nonsense.)

In any case, since we have to be on topic and adult in this thread, I'll comment on how the Dashboard 'pages are 2D'. That's funny. That makes the interface look kind of plain.

Reminds me of switching internet browser tabs on the iPhone.

Probably because as mixed as the opinions have been of Kinect's capability of tracking movements, it was a necessity to switch it to front face. I myself don't find it that big of a problem, but I guess Microsoft thinks we'll all be amazed by being able to wave our hands to move the menu after the first half hour or so.

Gaming wireless hasn't been issue at all for me. Then again, I play little of online gaming/online multiplayer anyways what with all the childish people and annoying kids on there. Of course, that comes with the territory....

And wasn't 1 vs. 100 cancelled? I played the Beta and really enjoyed it, I've been out of the loop for so long....

The new dashboard looks like a bag of smashed assholes.

Also new startup sound.

Actually, after fiddling with it, I don't like it. It just feels so overly simplified, but again technical problems probably all over if they tried to use Kinect with the previous Dashboard.

And $60 for a year subscription, for a majority of things that don't run on microsoft's servers (Netflix, Last FM, probably two useless apps for the console, Twitter and Facebook)? And "exclusive" access to demos?

XBox Live is becoming hard to justify fo me, even though it's a measly ten dollar price hike. Guess they have to make money back from Kinect somehow....

Actually, after fiddling with it, I don't like it. It just feels so overly simplified, but again technical problems probably all over if they tried to use Kinect with the previous Dashboard.

And $60 for a year subscription, for a majority of things that don't run on microsoft's servers (Netflix, Last FM, probably two useless apps for the console, Twitter and Facebook)? And "exclusive" access to demos?

XBox Live is becoming hard to justify fo me, even though it's a measly ten dollar price hike. Guess they have to make money back from Kinect somehow....

Overly simplified? Isn't the point of a UI to BE simple? I find it a lot cleaner. The old interface was starting to feel dated, and this update fixed that for me.

I really like it... a lot of it just makes sense. I think it's really well done. It's not too different... rather it's more refined.

I like it :D

Overly simplified? Isn't the point of a UI to BE simple?

uh no, the point of a UI is to be usable

imagine for a moment the absolute simplest UI: a bunch of shit in one list

that is not a very usable UI

simplification is merely a side effect

(I have not updated yet so I have no idea what you guys are talking about)

To the people complaining about the price hike: welcome to the rest of the world. At least you get the option to use half of the features. We pay the same price (comparatively), yet don't even get half the advantages.

But yes, new dashboard looks rather ugly. Less white panes please!