OCR02119 - Castlevania III "Demonic Conception"

djpretzel

I know I praised that ghost whirl lead (0:43, 1:50) once already, but again: eerily arresting + holiday themed = genius. I'd probably flip out if I walked into a Halloween shop and heard one of their "wooooo"-sounding trinkets start playing Demon Seed out of nowhere. The castanets still pack a sharp, nutty flavor, and they keep the danceability intact with the bass and wah synths. And of course the windy gusts and many reverbed synths illustrate a spacious cave setting (which makes up part of the level where the source plays).

Chills all around.

I know if I heap lots of praise on this mix, it'll get drowned out with the size of ego Morse has got to have. I fully accept that useless gushing won't really do much to affect future decisions, or give an insightful look into the mix at all (not that me being a jerk does much better.)

Yet, I just can't help it. This pushes all the right buttons, scrubs all the right places, and even tosses in a happy ending - free egg roll with massage. HAPPY ENDING!

In fact, that's what this mix is. It's a happy ending.

"You're listening to "Demonic Conception" with Casey Kasem on cool 101.3, the wave.

this song is dedicated to Barbara from John, I love you baby, come back to me."

i asked myself "could i envision myself whipping the shit out of everything i could possibly come into contact with to this song?" no, too mellow. But i did hear Casey Kasem introduce it in the beginning. (in my head, not in the actual song)

Hmm... You know, the last thing that came to my mind was anything even remotely haunted. For some reason it just goes the other way... The whole time I'm picturing a group of people working in a futuristic garage with holograms they're clickin away at to get parts for customizing some kind of vehicle... be it a mecha or car of some kind, all the while they're snackin on foods and joking with each other.

... or it could just be a side effect of too much Phantasy Star Online...

*shrug*

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm not sure how, but the words that come to mind are "light and creepy." It's a fun combination, and one that I would not expect to work together. I also enjoy it feels like an old campy sci-fi film in a lot of it. The earth is being invaded by the funkiest aliens ever. Very enjoyable. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Man, that guitar goes hard! What a sick riff that just sounds so evil with the beat over top of it. It's nice to hear funky and evil in the same place, and this is one of my favorite tunes on this album. Nice work, man.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02119 - Castlevania III "Demonic Conception"