OCR02120 - Duke Nukem 3D "All Outta Gum"

djpretzel

All Outta Gum, eh? That sounds like something Nukem said at the beginning of the Raw Meat mission. Thus, In Hiding (Raw Meat) should be the source material for an All Outta Gum 2. If you do the remix, Mazedude, I'd be even more pleased to see a collaboration.

It's hard to believe that after 14.7 years since the release of Duke Nukem 3D and 11 years of OverClocked that this is the first Nukem 3D track in OC Remix's roster!

If the music is supposed to be better than those of DooM and DooM II combined, I'm surprised it took this long to get a track under this jurisdiction. Furthermore, Duke Nukem 3D probably should've already had an Arrangement Album.

At the outset, the swelling and clipping samples definitely give the impression of stepping onto demonic turf, so the hell-raising that follows is most welcome. I remember the source the clearest via the high-noted countermelody after the furtive intro, so the appearance of the bellish twinkles makes me rejoice. (Are they really that innocent or are they in league with the evil forces at play? One can only guess.) I'm digging those periodic punctuations that enter at 0:40 - they sound like alien squelches paired with half-explosions. When the breathing at the end gets cut off by a heartbeat, it sounds like the victim in question is choking on/drowning in his own blood (in a way). How heartily gruesome.

If Duke's ship sets off more than just an explosion when it goes down in flames at the start of the first level, this mix vividly illustrates it. Congrats on an OCR milestone, MD. :)

Congrats on making your 50th remix. You are now officially the example to my mother and any friends of mine who think remixing video game music is a "waste of time". Keep 'em coming.

As for the remix itself, it's cold and unfeeling. Definitely unsettling, and in terms of re-envisioning the first level music from the game, sets the tone well for something like a superdramatic reboot a-la Christopher Nolan. While it definitely gets a bit repetitive at times, the samples were good and you kept the groove going. Those choirs had some hairs on end, and the depth of layering is quite impressive for all your rhythmic sounds. While I can't say it kept me on-end the whole time, it is definitely solid for the most-part. Any Duke Nukem 3d love from Mazedude is bound to be some good love.

As Stevo said, congrats on your 50th mix post. It's certainly a milestone that few will see!

I'm going to have to say that this mix certainly attains a level of creepiness that is very appropriate for Halloween night. The repetativeness of the piece and the industrail production definitely adds to that. I can't say that I'm really a fan of the mix, partly because I feel like the mix doesn't really build or grow as much as I'd like. However, the mix works for the style it's going for, and is produced very well.

Fun and interesting. I've been a fan of maze's work for a while, mainly SpaceStation and Psychotic Censors. This is an excellent mix, very fitting of his style, although it's not a download-now mix for me. However, it does reignite my desire to hear maze take on some of the more intense themes from the Metroid: Prime trilogy.

...and congrats on 50, maze. Here's hoping you're still hale and hearty through 50 more!

So, I have to ask now. What really defines a "creepy" atmosphere in music? Is it the presence of a drowning organ? The strange vox that abruptly changes its notes? Is it the rather dark and desolate soundscape, or the tiny SFX that get thrown in that you don't really hear conciously, but you know are there, prodding you in the back of the head?

All of the above is present, and it's quite well done, but I would hardly call it "creepy." There's no sense of mystery, no air of the unknown, no fear of the dark to it. It's gloomy, and a bit evil, but I may be desensitized by years of video game playing, but it's not really unsettling or odd.

Maybe... just maybe. It's too kickass to be creepy.

Shinobi + Castlevania + Resident Evil = All Outta Gum

Shinobi: because this tune is side scroller worthy (its duke nukem ya dingus!) and the pace reminded me of running ninjas.

Castlevania: The organ of course! well and the note structure is very castle-y

Resident Evil: because I am reminded of graveyards and other usual locales for things that go bump in the night.

I wish this was in DN3D.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Mazedude is probably the best I've heard when it comes to industrial pieces like this. So epic. That organ with the heavy beat, mixed with song electronic instrumentation, it's like a three layer cake of awesomeness. Dark and evil, electronic, with an organ and sweet beat, this ReMix is right up my alley. Downloaded before the thing even got halfway.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02120 - Duke Nukem 3D "All Outta Gum"