Celebrate the McRib

Liontamer

I had a Big Mac come back up with wrong way about 10 years ago. I've sworn off eating anything except ice cream from McDonald's (which is hard to screw up because it's not usually made on-site) ever since.

Made on site!? MADE ON SITE!?

You're lucky McDonalds still cracks eggs for the Egg McMuffins! They don't let them chop the LETTUCE at McDonalds.

I had a McRib for the first time yesterday. It tasted great, in my opinion. Now, bear in mind that I don't eat much fast food. Maybe once a week, I'll have a burger or something.

So fast forward about 4 hours after consumption of the McRib. Without getting into disgusting and unnecessary detail, let's just say that the toilet will never be the same again.

***it's still better than that time I tried Chipotle***

For all y'all looking to somewhat lose your appetite WIHTOUT the grossout videos:

http://www.foodfacts.info/mcrib/

See a mcrib deconstructed and read the nutritional facts, particularly the sat fat and cholesterol.

McRib Nutritional Info:

490 calories

25 g fat

75 mg cholesterol

1040 mb sodium

44 g carbohydrates

2 g fiber

24 g protein

11 g sugars (which are just simple carbs)

VS

FOUR ENTIRE BONELESS GRILLED CHICKEN BREASTS Nutritional Info:

480 calories

10 g fat

280 mg cholesterol

0 mg sodium

0 g carbohydrates

0 g fiber

96 g protein

clearly they aren't something you'd normally compare, as 1 is a sandwich, and 1 is just a chicken breast, but they'd both be used as a protein source, and unless you were insanely hungry, there's no way you'd be able to eat 4 chicken breasts for one meal, but the calorie count is close. Getting almost 4x the protein though, and less than half the fat is craziness though.

Yeah, not touching the McRib or any McDonald's food with a 10 foot pole. That sodium level is insane, a normal adult should eat 1500 mg of sodium per day.

Throw in a couple of fries and boom, you are toast, one meal that will truly slowly kill you.

Yeah, well, I believe the average America's daily sodium intake is at least 4000 mg's these days. Seriously, there's so much stuff here just LOADED with sodium! It costs so much money to eat healthily here. 8O

I don't get the accompanying pictures that go with the McRib. Do they believe that none of us have ever eaten a rib sandwich served by an institution?

Seriously, that looks exactly like the rib sandwiches that were served in my high school cafeteria (or middle and elementary school cafeterias) or in many other government funded facilities. Sodexho foods served comparable meals at the college cafeteria I went to school at and Sysco Foods had rib sandwiches that looked the same in the cafeteria I worked at.

Maybe that's a condemnation for institution foods, which are pretty bad for you - in addition to usually being plentiful and overpriced because you often don't have other options. But hey, I've been broke enough times that I think it's better to eat that crap than eat nothing at all.

McRib Nutritional Info:

490 calories

25 g fat

75 mg cholesterol

1040 mb sodium

44 g carbohydrates

2 g fiber

24 g protein

11 g sugars (which are just simple carbs)

VS

FOUR ENTIRE BONELESS GRILLED CHICKEN BREASTS Nutritional Info:

480 calories

10 g fat

280 mg cholesterol

0 mg sodium

0 g carbohydrates

0 g fiber

96 g protein

*standing ovation*

watch a documentary called "food, inc."

it'll do the trick

Didn't work for me:

Quoted from my facebook after I watched it:

Is it wrong that I watched half of food Inc and all I can think about is how hungry I am?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me

I'm just going to leave this here. SuperSize Me. Free on Hulu. Really great movie/documentary for the minority of people that didn't see it.

And yeah, I've poked a little fun at McDonalds (and fast food in general), but in moderation, I don't think having fast food can be too terrible for you.

That said, I find my quality of living increases when I avoid the stuff, as obvious as that might sound. My energy levels, my moods don't swing, my ability to focus increases, sleeping is easier, get sick less often, I don't crave sugar or other fatty foods, and I just feel better in general. Fast food is just kind of a trap for me, because a lot of the time once I start eating the stuff, for me, I start wanting more of it later in the week. The stuff just wreaks havoc on me physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Edited by Strike911

It costs so much money to eat healthily here. 8O

gonna respectfully disagree, bro. Eating healthy is actually pretty damn cheap. It's less convenient for sure, but it is cheap cheap cheap.

not to totally derail the thread (and mods pwn me if im out of line), but let's go over a typical meal day i'll have

wake up at 7! It;s time to get ready for work!

100__whey_protein_130_black.jpegProtein shake (whey and water)! I get a 10 lb bag of whey which costs $80. It lasts for about 3 months of 2 shakes a day. Cost per shake: $.44.

it's 9 am! Time for tea and breakfast!

Oatmeal-OldFashioned-Thumbnail.sflb.ashx Oats! Splash some water on them, microwave for 1 min! I get a 42oz canister for $3. It lasts 1 month. Cost per oat bowl: $.10.

Tea is free from work! Score!

yoplait_greek_yogurt-300x286.jpgCup o' greek yogurt. cost per yogurt: $1.10

it's noon! Time for lunch!

this can vary, but usually it's leftovers from dinner. Otherwise sometimes subway, or going out with coworkers.

Frozen-Mixed-Vegetables-TPJ-06-.jpgIn the work freezer i keep some frozen mixed vegetables in case I don't have a lot of leftovers so i can pad my meal out and stay happy and full. ^___^

A bag of mixed vegetables is $3 and has about 5 servings. Cost per serving of veggies: $.60

If I go out, it'll be as cheap as $6 for a subway footlong, or up to $13 if we go somewhere fancy. Otherwise I just halve the cost of the previous night's dinner.

3 pm snack time!

MOAR OATZ! ($.10)

A banana! ($.50, or even cheaper if you don't get organic)

Snack cost: $.60

6ish dinner time!

This varies a ton, but I almost always cook for myself. Common ingredients:

Chicken breast: $2.88 /lb - a lb of chicken breast is basically 4 chicken breasts, so $.75 per chicken breast

Random fresh veggies - always random, but could be as cheap as carrots, or expensive as asparagus or bell peppers. We'll say an average of $2.50 per meal.

whole grain pasta: $1.25 a box, 3 servings per box, $.42 a serving

random other stuff like seasonings, olive oil, etc: I'd say $1 a meal since I am a olive oil snob and get the good stuff.

So taking this meal plan, i'd have 2 chicken breasts, pile o' veggies, and a lot of pasta. average dinner cost: $5.42

9pm post-workout shake!

Cost per shake: $.44.

So overall, if I had leftovers for lunch, an entire day of eating healthy is about $8.70. If I went to subway, it's around $14.10. Takes a little work, but pretty cheap, IMO.