OCR Music Video Challenge 3! Deadline is January 23.

Diodes

Thank you OCRMVC viewers and video-makers who have made the OCRMVC such a success so far. Less Ashamed and I have been working on the details for the next challenge to make sure it as awesome as we can make it. And so we present to you:

OverClocked Remix Music Video Challenge 3

Viewing party info:

irc.esper.net #ocrmvc

Sunday January 23 @ 9 PM EST

The deadline for this challenge will be January 23, 2011. We will have an IRC viewing party that evening! More details to come.

The guidlines for participating are simple:

1. Pick a posted OCReMix. Posted album tracks from official OCR albums are OK, too.

2. Make a music video! But please, nothing so inappropriate or vulgar that it would break the YouTube guidelines.

3. Upload your video to YouTube as unlisted. (From YouTube: "Unlisted" means that only people who know the link to the video can view it. The video will not appear in any of YouTube's public spaces, such as search results, your channel, or the Browse page, but the link can be shared with anyone.)

4. PM me the link before the deadline.

Participants

Chernabogue - with THREE videos!!

Darklink42 - maybe

setzertrancer - maybe

JH Sounds

Less Ashamed of Self - he didn't say so in the thread, but he better!

diotrans

friendlyhunter

Modus

Call for artists

Additionally, we are looking for artists to create sigs and/or other images that we can use to promote the challenge. We are planning on promoting it to get as much participation and viewership as we can! So if we get a bunch of images that people can choose from to put in their sigs, on Facebook, Twitter, or wherever, that would be super awesome. Basically it just has to say "OverClocked Remix Music Video Challenge," and we can link it to this thread. If you do make an image, feel free to post it to the thread.

OK that's it... get to working on your videos and see you at the viewing party!!

Shall there be a means for which those not present at MF can participate in the viewing party? Like, will there be a simultaneous viewing party on IRC?

Yes. Thank you for bringing this up. We def need to have an IRC party too. I don't know about the logistics of having it simultaneously with the live event. If that doesn't work out, we can just have 2 separate viewing parties, with the IRC party at a time other than MAGFest so that it doesn't conflict.

Not sure if I'll be able to finish something in time for the deadline (maybe I should do something less ambitious for #3, and then do my original plan for #4?)... but I have a BIG favour to ask of someone here. My apologies in advance for totally derailing the thread >_<

You may remember me mentioning in the previous thread that I wanted to finish a trilogy of 3 videos before I start on my music video. Now the first 2 videos are done, and I'm working on the 3rd - but there's one 6-second live-action shot that I'll need someone to record for me. The shot contains one character (Chef Gordon Ramsay), who can also double as the camera-holding-guy (and only needs to show his hand and/or arm). No acting skills are required, and the audio for the scene is already 100% complete. However the scene requires a "prop" of sorts to be made... a large (or medium??) bin/container/box with something written on it (or just written on a paper that's taped to it), containing [spoilerS]a piece of spaghetti (preferably cooked, but raw is ok too)[/spoilerS] (I don't want to spoil the scene for someone interested in helping :wink:)

The video is a comedy, and the amount of silliness in it is... it's very very silly. If the shot looks totally amateur and really really bad, it will fit right in :nicework: In fact, if you so desire to make things bad on purpose for comedic effect, go for it :D

That said, even when I add bad special effects and bad drawings to my videos, I always make sure it's as easy as possible to follow for people watching it. If it's so bad that you have to think for three seconds "wait, is that supposed to be Chef Ramsay?", then you'll be too confused to get any jokes. If you really want to put effort into this 6-second shot (accurate clothes, good acting, multiple takes, appropriate location, etc) then by all means do!

I should be finished a big chunk of the video later today or tomorrow, so if anyone's interested in helping, I can PM a link to a private WIP video to show the context of the scene (which contains a badly-drawn pre-vis version of the 6-second shot itself)

For anyone who's curious about what I'm working on, here are all the videos in the series so far. Anyone who's familiar with

should enjoy them =D

Over Nine Thousand Toasters: Spaghetti (Part 3 of 3)... is the video I'm currently working on ;)

I've done a music video for one of my own tracks, as an experiment and test for the OCRMVC. Right now I'm trying to get my head around video editing software. It was shot on my iPod touch, and it came out better than I expected.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm surprised all of that was shot on an ipod touch. Cool song too.

My one critique would be, that if you are planning on shooting your video with your ipod that, since one or two of the shots came out a little choppy, that you might want to shoot things many times just in case.

Think 5 takes per shot and 1 will surface as the best. Promising work though, glad to have you excited to be on board.

Or just try to avoid handheld shots, if you can jury-rig your touch to a tripod. This guy was able to get shots comparable to a Canon 7D* out of an iPhone4 by using a Steadicam Merlin, but that's a near $1000 investment. But he has some good tips on his blog that may apply to the Touch as well, like playing back at 24fps for smoother motion.

*Not that DSLRs are all that great for moving shots either...

OK so I updated the first post to include the list of participants. I also wanted to remind people that we are asking for artists to volunteer their time to make a banner! I will be working on one soon and post it here within the next few days so that we can promote this more.

So, anybody else out there want to sign up? How is everybody's videos going?

SO glad to see this continuing. If I am going to be at MAG, then I will get something done, but that is not a for sure yet for me. I have two 4th year classes compressed into one month, the month of January, and then I have a 9 week practicum. I don't know if I will be able to take the time off to fly, totally depends on the schedule for next semester.

Gotta see what flights will cost too.

Don't put me down yet, we'll see.

hmmmm... so I got a GREAT music video idea last night... or at least I thought it was great - now I'm debating whether I should do it or not. Flashback time:

*cue harp sound*

Almost four years ago, I started an OCR Fan Art Competition entry that was going to be a comic (pictures and words), with navigation and some minor animation in Flash. I made a lot of drawings for it (and completed them all), but barely made any progress in the Flash department. Although, I did successfully cut a ReMix and a SNES song into pieces, to play different bits when you advance to the next panel. I've been meaning to finish the thing since forever, but I've never really felt like it.

Unflashback time:

So yesterday I got the big idea "hey, why don't I use all the drawings I made for a music video for OCRMVCOMGLOL??!" The ReMix was picked out literally 3 years ago. And having the pictures without text would be totally awesome, both because it leaves more up to the imagination, and because I wouldn't have to include the crappy script I wrote. And it's by far the easiest music video idea I've gotten (I could probably finish it in less than a single weekend). AND, a slow animated slideshow of sorts would actually fit well with this particular song.

But then I realized the result would be pretty much the exact opposite of what one thinks of when one hears the term "music video". The song, by COTMM, is atmospheric and eerie, slow, tense and dramatic, and doesn't even have a sense of beat or rhythm for a lot of it. The math tells me I'd be switching images roughly once every 15 seconds. "Very slow animation with fitting creepy ambient music" is a much more appropriate label than "music video". The subject matter of the images won't exactly leave people with a positive feeling either.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I kind of want to make it... but will it belong in the viewing party?? Maybe diotrans can be the judge of that...?

hmmmm... so I got a GREAT music video idea last night... or at least I thought it was great - now I'm debating whether I should do it or not. Flashback time:

*cue harp sound*

Almost four years ago, I started an OCR Fan Art Competition entry that was going to be a comic (pictures and words), with navigation and some minor animation in Flash. I made a lot of drawings for it (and completed them all), but barely made any progress in the Flash department. Although, I did successfully cut a ReMix and a SNES song into pieces, to play different bits when you advance to the next panel. I've been meaning to finish the thing since forever, but I've never really felt like it.

Unflashback time:

So yesterday I got the big idea "hey, why don't I use all the drawings I made for a music video for OCRMVCOMGLOL??!" The ReMix was picked out literally 3 years ago. And having the pictures without text would be totally awesome, both because it leaves more up to the imagination, and because I wouldn't have to include the crappy script I wrote. And it's by far the easiest music video idea I've gotten (I could probably finish it in less than a single weekend). AND, a slow animated slideshow of sorts would actually fit well with this particular song.

But then I realized the result would be pretty much the exact opposite of what one thinks of when one hears the term "music video". The song, by COTMM, is atmospheric and eerie, slow, tense and dramatic, and doesn't even have a sense of beat or rhythm for a lot of it. The math tells me I'd be switching images roughly once every 15 seconds. "Very slow animation with fitting creepy ambient music" is a much more appropriate label than "music video". The subject matter of the images won't exactly leave people with a positive feeling either.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I kind of want to make it... but will it belong in the viewing party?? Maybe diotrans can be the judge of that...?

Sounds cool. Pretty sure it wouldn't be something we WOULDN'T watch unless it had inappropiate content or was, like, 20 minutes long or more.

Sounds cool. Pretty sure it wouldn't be something we WOULDN'T watch unless it had inappropiate content or was, like, 20 minutes long or more.

I agree with this. I think we've had a lot of variety in our music videos, so I wouldn't say that there is any strict definition of what a music video should be, at least, not for this. It sounds creative, which is good, I got a lot of ideas and inspiration from our viewing parties where other people did completely different stuff than I would have ever thought of doing.

So shall I add you to the list? .D