OCR Music Video Challenge 3! Deadline is January 23.

Diodes

All right, I thought about this a lot, and I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't really make sense to do a viewing party at MAGFest. I think it would have been really neat if we could have gotten a panel and been on the convention schedule and had a room with a projector and lots of random people stopping by to check out the videos. But because we weren't able to get a panel, the only thing I could really do is have an informal gathering of people, and I don't even know whether I'd be able to get enough people to have a viewing party. It's really too bad that pretty much all of the people who made videos and are involved in the challenge won't be at MAGFest, because if that were the case, I think it would be totally worth it to get together and just have our own party even if it was a small gathering. But being that the people who made videos won't be present, I feel like me getting a group of people to watch all the videos in a hotel room lobby would be like having a birthday party without the guest of honor.

So I'm very sorry to anybody who is disappointed by this. However, we will be much more prepared for this next year, and now we know we have to submit our MAGFest panel early.

Being that the viewing party will not be at MAGFest, I guess let's have it the weekend after, at our usual Sunday 9 PM time? So that would be Sunday the 23rd.

Good luck everybody!! I can't wait to see your videos!

That's good. Goody good.

I'm halfway through my video, but I have a small issue with one of the 'rules'. I understand why you'd want the videos to be uploaded as unlisted, but when I do that my subscribers never see it in their feed as a newly uploaded video, even after I switch it to 'public'. I only have like 300 subscribers but I'd like for them to notice the video too... so does it HAVE to be unlisted?

That's good. Goody good.

I'm halfway through my video, but I have a small issue with one of the 'rules'. I understand why you'd want the videos to be uploaded as unlisted, but when I do that my subscribers never see it in their feed as a newly uploaded video, even after I switch it to 'public'. I only have like 300 subscribers but I'd like for them to notice the video too... so does it HAVE to be unlisted?

I hadn't even thought of that. We like to keep the videos a secret until the viewing party to give it more impact and specialness. But I understand the problem of uploading and then later setting as public. Would you strongly object to uploading shortly before the viewing party, like a few hours or a day before? That way we can still keep it mostly secret but then all your fans will see it too.

Doh, I'm busy with stuff, and not sure if I'll actually have time to do mine or not. We'll see.

That's good. Goody good.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that subscribers might be alerted when you switch it to public (based on one of my subscribers mentioning they saw my video in their subscriptions thing). But I could be completely wrong. I believe I uploaded said video as private, then I set it to unlisted, then public. This was just a couple weeks ago.

In any case, it seems reasonable to allow uploading it as public, just to be on the safe side, no?

Wow, inspiration just struck me last night of a OCR song I wanted to make into a music video, I was inspired in large part due to seeing a great non-ocr original cover music video that I think a lot of people should see, due to these amazing video editing skills being done by a 15 year old girl. It made me realize that if I want to start a career in video production industry i'm going to need to be able to beat the skills of this girl at least, lol and so I need more practice.

here's the video that inspired me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefzCt8T8LI

It wasn't until I decided to come here to download the song I wanted that I thought to check the forums and was surprised to find the deadline extended and not expired yet. I think this will give me another reason to start work on this video right now.

Looks like I only have 8 or 9 days so I'm not going to promise I'll have it done in time, but It would be really great to happen to make it a comp entry too. I hope to have something to bring to the viewing party when I see you all there.

Wow, inspiration just struck me last night of a OCR song I wanted to make into a music video, I was inspired in large part due to seeing a great non-ocr original cover music video that I think a lot of people should see, due to these amazing video editing skills being done by a 15 year old girl. It made me realize that if I want to start a career in video production industry i'm going to need to be able to beat the skills of this girl at least, lol and so I need more practice.

here's the video that inspired me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefzCt8T8LI

That's some pretty advanced After Effects editing for someone who's 15, but I can't say I'm surprised. Kids are now growing up with access to editing programs like CS5 that are industry-leading powerful. When I started editing a few years ago, I thought I had found a secret way to get ahead in the industry, but the truth was that thousands of people were thinking the same thing.

The barrier of entry used to be very high in editing but now you can literally download a program and become a freelancer. So yeah, when I make a portfolio my work will have to be so good that it's indistinguishable from web or TV ads and programs if I want a stable career.

Just wanted to give my two cents on editing :)

EDIT: Also, I'm struggling to get my video done between work, college, and keeping the apartment in shape, but I'm halfway done so I hope to gosh I can finish it >_<

Been working all day on my Music Video. I've got the beginning calmer bit nearly done, but things are going to get difficult in the upbeat parts.

I've had spend most of the day just cutting clips out of a 10 hour documentary to narrow down what I have to work with.

Hmmm 10 hour documentary. I wonder if anyone can guess what I'm using clips from for my music video.

Good Luck everyone else.

Right you are modus, geez that clue gave it away easy.

I'm a little less impressed by the Music Video I mentioned earlier when it only took me 2 quick tutorials on You tube to learn to do the things she had done in the video that I didn't know how to do. It's just a matter of learning what all the effects can do when I haven't even touched most of them. I'm now using that information and making the upbeat part of the music video almost exactly how I imagined it in my head.

I look forward to seeing what you have planed JH.

My video still has a lot of work left and may not be as finished as I want it by the viewing party. But I plan to have it finished enough to look like it's done, but then add my more ambitious effects afterwards. I really only have 1 more day, because I'm going to be busy all day tomorrow.

It's not looking good for me either actually, not because I'm out of time but because I'm completely burned out and am so tired of staring at my editing screen. I need to take a break to keep my sanity. I also regretted the last video I rushed on because of pressure from a time limit.

Tell you what though, since it is 70% done and large portions of the video are completely done and look awesome I'm going to show it at the viewing party anyway and I think people will understand how great it will be when the blanks are filled in.

I don't care about winning the competition I just want to show off my work.

Also at the last viewing party people had trouble staying in sync while watching the videos because they could not download HD videos as fast as everyone else. I think we should all wait until everyone has loaded the video and all press play in sync. Especially since my video was made to be seen in HD.