How you approach the writing/remixing process

I'm finally getting a handle on how FLStudio works.

Now I'm trying to get a handle on how the mixing and composing process should work.

When you get an idea, how do you approach sequencing it? Do you physically write out a sketch of your ideas? Do you make a rough piano roll sketch? What is your typical approach and process from thinking of a mix to actually producing the mix?

It's different for everyone but I'm guessing you just want to hear everyone's opinions.

For me it goes something like this:

- Conceptualization; I make sort of a mental sketch to determine the genre, instrumentation, overall structure etc.

- Sketching; Either I load up a quick template file and write down the basic ideas with the piano roll or I work it out on my guitar.

- Then I start the actual mixing. I prefer to work my way through a mix section by section, rather than by writing out every instrumental track completely before moving on to the next one. I also don't divide the mixing process into a seperate 'arrangement' and 'production' phase, but I go back and forth between the two so I can make adjustments on the fly.

My general writing processes in general can be summed with a whole lot of push this, pluck that, and hope for the best.

I write everything in sheet music and throw that into a sheet music program. I regretfully am in a love/hate relationship with GuitarPro to solve these needs. I then export a midi and import that into FL where I use plugins out the wazoo and make all percussion and instruments sound less like crappy midis. At least that's what I do for all percussion and synths.

And you don't want my advice on mixing. Best be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt sort of thing (assuming I haven't already done that).

What I do when I want to write something as quickly as possible is to write 16 bars or so of melody by hand on staff paper (ideally while at a coffee shop because that's a good place for thinking), divide it into three-to-five-note motives and generally break it into pieces, then create a section-by-section outline of the entire piece describing how the motives are used in specific measures and basic ideas for orchestration. (For example: mm. 24-39 -- Develop motive 3 as call-and-response between flute and oboe; winds and high strings in background; modulate to V.)

When I have this done, I take it into Sonar and write out the melody and/or important lines for the entire piece, then go back and make orchestration and counterpoint decisions and generally flesh things out.

This process is how I made this remix for the Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge this year.

Step 1 - Get real drunk and sit down at the computer with guitar.

Step 2 - Wondering where inspiration should come from; play Metallica.

Step 3 - Watch Metallica live videos on Youtube; pretend you're James Hetfield around your room for a while.

Step 4 - Be more drunk.

Step 5 - Inspiration isn't coming, take a break: Play Heroes of Newerth.

Step 6 - Quote Metallica over voice chat all game.

Step 7 - First pick Scout, farm Doombringer, die immediately.

Step 8 - Blame your team and ragequit.

Step 9 - Sit in bed, naked, sobbing about how lonely you are as a person, while eating cold fried chicken out of a plastic bag.

I tend to work more like this:

1: Find/make a cool synth sound

2. Write part A

3. Write part C

4. Hate the lack of cohesiveness, mix

5. Write intro, ending

6. Write more ending.

7. Write part B, hate it

8. Mix more

9. Get tired of the whole thing, decide to like part B

10. Fix everything you can hear and do something about

11. Decide that it's finished

12. Realize something's still wrong with it

13. Repeat stages 10-12 ad nauseam

Yeah, that's about it.

I spnd a lot of time starting songs just because I had some idea or because I found a cool sound that distracted me from doing something more important. I've got a few thousand unfinished sketches. Stretched out over the 8 or so years I've been mixing, it's about one per day. Some days you just write crap. Learning to tell what arrangements you can finish easily helps a lot.

With mixing, I tend to start with sound design and keep re-evaluating my mix all the time. If it hurts my ears, it needs fixing. If I can hear it, so can others. Fix everything.

Get drunk after work, take guitar, run plug, turn on AIMP with all of music I have in my comp, start play everything what is in play-list. Than remember about something.. Go eat. Return to comp and write leading melody in midi. Then write drums, then record bass guitar, then rhythm, then make some electronic or something, then try to play guitar solo, then listen what I've done and sure that I'm terrible in solos, then forget about everything and go sleep.

Post on wip forum that bullshit tomorrow.

What I do when I want to write something as quickly as possible is to write 16 bars or so of melody by hand on staff paper...

staff paper + piano has made me a better musician than years of practice has...

but seriously, there is something absolutely humbling about sitting in a room with only yourself, some manuscript, and a piano, and writing down what's in your head as you hear it, not as whatever midi/vst you own can play it.

it really helps you think in abstract ways that you wouldn't with your primary instrument/computer in hand.

(yes, I do all composition sketches like this - even electronic music. dubstep = lots of squiggly lines)

This is how I believe that everyone should do when they're working on a remix.

1. Get an awesome idea while asleep and pop awake at the sheer epicness.

2. Hum all the instruments.

3. Think why did you just do that.

4. Try to hum it again, but fail miserably.

5. Try to make the song using your program of choice.

6. Become bored and see my post on OC.

8. Think about it for a second.

9. Read my signature and try to decode it.

10. Reread my post and notice that I'm missing number 7. Laugh about it.

11. Keep working on the song.

12. Swear about not having the proper soundfont (had that too many times)

13. Try to improvise and fail.

14. Take a nap.

Repeat as many times as necessary.