OCR02257 - *YES* Mega Man 8 'Above the Clouds'

OceansAndrew

* ReMixer name: Jewbei

This remix came to be all because of Jade we were talking over AIM one day and she showed me this track. The moment i heard it i knew i had to do it. Jade also mentioned that this was one of her favorite tracks from that game so i gave it a shot and this was the result. Enjoy the track Jade this one is for you! I guess you can say this came from the heart thanks mother goose and always remember chin up look above the clouds :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKsLqbjXCfE

• 2 weeks later...

Production is sick as usual on this, you've really stepped up your game the last few years, dude, no crits there at all.

The arrangement has a lot of nice little references to the source, and at first I thought it was a little on the liberal side, but as I listened, it was more obvious that there were hints and snippets of the melody and recognizable backing parts throughout. Nice builds and breaks, and even though it's more of a club style ending, intended to be mixed with other tracks rather than a radio edit style that OCR prefers, it's pretty solid stuff.

Nice work. :-)

Yes

I found this arrangement to be solid throughout. There were very few times (aside from the intro and outtro, both which do not extend for too long) that I couldn't recognize any source and there was plenty of expansion on the themes. Sound choices and production were also very sound. The breakdown is easily my favorite part, and offers a good break from the beatz. Love the adaption of this to club.

YES

• 1 month later...

This is certainly a big ol' dance track.

The arrangement was pretty good through the first two and a half minutes, but I thought it got a bit lazy after that point, rehashing earlier stuff. There is some melodic and rhythmic variation, especially the extended solo starting at 4:05, but I thought there was plenty of room in there for a bit less repetition and a bit more interpretation.

The arrangement is good enough for a pass overall, though, and the production is untz-tastic.

YES

• 1 month later...

Your production has really taken off recently, Jewbei - this is smooth as butter. I like the lead sounds a lot, they're interesting without being ostentatious. Sometimes I see trance as a layer cake, and in this one, all the delicious layers of chocolate, frosting, and cake are working together to make something yummier than the individual parts.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Mastered pretty loud, but definitely digging it. The fading lead abruptly cut off at 1:29 right near the end of winding down. Not a huge deal, but the devil's in the details.

Very nice dropoffs and builds. 2:46 felt repetitive going back to the initial melody with the same lead, even though the backing was fuller this time around. By 3:20, I was hoping this section would wrap up and move to something fresher, but at least we got some more alterations of the melody, subtle as they were.

The source was in play basically the entire time once it started at :29 and ended at 5:15. I really could have gone for more melodic interpretation and sylistic variation, but what's here was nonetheless substantive and interpretive, with a nice side of groove bias. Reading CHz's vote after writing all this, we're basically seeing it the same way. We're movin'. We're groovin'.

YES