Trent Reznor + How to Destroy Angels

Deathtank

Yeah, HTDA is a new band/side project, but to me just kind of sounded like a shallow echo of NIN. Needless to say, I wasn't crazy about it. But the 6 song album is a free download, so at least it's got that going for it.

The Social Network Soundtrack was pretty awesome though... It would be pretty neat to see it get an Oscar nom or something, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

NIN-lite with a female singer. Well, not really lite, just the ballads (as was said above) and some medium intensity tracks. The drum intro on Fur Lined made me think of Discipline, but then I just started to listen to a bunch of NIN and there's a lot of drum-heavy tracks. I don't think it's meant to just be NIN with a female singer, but Reznor IS Nine Inch Nails and he's done a pretty good spread of material throughout his career. That said, I like NIN and will take it.

The Slip (also available for free) was pretty light too. And Ghosts I is still up to the best of my knowledge (here). I guess it's just the way that Reznor's sound has changed in some ways, though his Theme to Tetsuo was pretty classic industrial IMO. Also Tetsuo is the kind of material that warrants his more noise-heavy work.