OCR02122 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Above the Sky"

djpretzel

"FUCKBOOYAH!" to YouTube haters with little-to-no musical standards that whined about OCR for daring to reject the original version of Will's mix:

Unlike a lot of people with no ear for music and no objectivity, we don't just puff up egos with praise when the music needs work, we help them become better musicians through legitimate criticism.

This version of "Above the Sky" definitely took things to a higher level of refinement and quality once Will was encouraged to tweak it, and that kind of improvement serves the artist not just for this track, but for future tracks.

Edited by Liontamer

Has someone been uploading stuff too early in the morning? This mix is being identified as from Sonic 3, just a heads up.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this very much, very airy and light and creative. Excellent work!

Will claimed there was some Sonic 3 "Angel Island Zone" in there. He can clarify what if anything he used from it, i.e. "I had a brainfart, and based on that you should never trust what I say again" OR "I used it as backing at X:YZ."

Edited by Liontamer

Will claimed there was some Sonic 3 "Angel Island Zone" in there. He can clarify what if anything he used from it, i.e. "I had a brainfart, and based on that you should never trust what I say again" OR "I used it as backing at X:YZ."

I lied to you all. There is no angel island zone. I decided i'd tell you there was to screw with your minds and destroy your brains.

ok seriously, there is a bit of confusion so in that case i'll clarify. It is kinda short lived/liberal/crap but whatever.

Basically, 0:04-0:24 is the intro to angel island zone. I guess its a little hard to find the connection but its there, That was originally what I had for the mix for about 6 months, and it was going to be a full angel island zone mix, I was never going to do a ending theme for sonic 2. However, when I came back to it, it was kinda asking for the ending theme.

So yes, angel island is in there, but just the intro of the source, in the intro of the remix ;)

Also, i'm surprised no one has picked up on the richard marx accidental reference in there (I didn't realise it was there at first until someone else pointed it out to me. Oh how the human brain works)

Edited by WillRock

This is a pleasant little track, but I don't think I'll be putting it on my playlist for further listening. It had me going around 1:15 when it started building into something that I thought I would really enjoy, but then it just petered out at 1:45. Then suddenly at 2:00 it's going again. Then it's tired out at 2:30 again. In general this piece kind of jerks me around; the tempo switches are sudden and the transition seems clunky.

It's a good piece and well executed, but the composition could be better I think. Leading into the transitions a little more would be a major improvement, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the OCRemix community,

I have never posted before on this great site and have long enjoyed the marvelous work done by all the composers and arrangers featured here. You have contributed to the evolving canon of game music and I want to take this chance to offer my humble thanks to not only the composer of this wonderful piece, but all VGRemix composers.

"Above the Sky"

This is, I feel, a perfect piece of interpretive music arranging. Taken from the credits music from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, this remix has everything I hoped I would find when I first saw this site a few years ago. With intuitive harmonic freedom and flexibility combined with a respectful observance of the original theme, the balance between old and new is sublime. Thank you uploader, I aspire to compose music like this one day, and my inspiration level has officially leveled up!

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02122 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Above the Sky"