OCR02123 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Red Sphere, Blue Sphere"

djpretzel

Probably my favourite track of Chaos along with Walk on Water. Kinda simple but everything is automated and blended really smoothly and the source is perfect for the style. This was the track that really made me want to play the game again just for the bonus levels, because it's faithful but in a kickass way. Fun name too :3.

Hm. While halc's latest submission had me thinking about Kirby, this mix reminds me of Super Mario RPG.

Anyway. This one kind of goes back and forth for me: there are sections I was really getting into and others that I didn't like. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the screech tolerance to listen to electronica anymore? It used to be one of my favorite genres, but I seem to be falling out with it more and more lately. The squealy sound that comes on around 2:50 kills it for me: I was on the fence about this mix before that, but that just sounds terrible to me.

That said, this was overall cool enough that once I've got a good bit of time on my hands, I'mma check out Project Chaos.

For a mix that got run over by a Jeep, this is pretty dang awesome. This is the kind of music that would go in an HD version of Sonic 3, for sure. Tasteful arps, cool gated windy-noises, nice pads, good choice of leads, and that almost everpresent BOP kick. It's a winner, especially with that screeching OHSHITNOTHATSAREDSPHERE brake noise. Kickass.

Hang on. I know this mix. Its good.

I can only reckon that most people that like sonic 3 and ocremix have heard this due to project chaos, and if not WHY????? GO DOWNLOAD IT NOW.

My opinion is that this is a classic mix of trance and chiptune (I typo'd that as hiphop, WHYYYYYYY), which is pretty cool. Drums are a little generic sounding, and i'm not sure I like the drum kick but seriously thats nitpicking for an older mix like this.

I gotta say the best part of the mix is the ARPEGGIO SECTION (1:07 onwards) That whole middle section, for being somewhat liberal, is awesome.

And the source is of course killer. Thumbs up for this one :D

im confused why is this on latest remixes ive been listening to OCR since day 1 and i know this tune been round for a while

It is an amazing tune ive had this on mp3player for ages but why is it on latest remix ?:whatevaa:

or is it that its been on project chaos back when i first downloaded it and now its on OCR i dont get it?? im not being funny i just remember this tune as a classic OCremix tune and i see it on latest remixes ?

am i alone in thinking this ?

im confused why is this on latest remixes ive been listening to OCR since day 1 and i know this tune been round for a while
This mix has been around for a while but has never been posted officially to OCRemix. It was part of the album "Project Chaos" which should be listed under the albums section of this site.

Other than that, I like this song, too, and have been keeping it in my playlist for a couple of years already :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really familiar with the sonic games, but this does sound reminiscent of Mario RPG in places. Great stuff, despite its clear olderness (I was a little confused at first).

Also I swear I didn't mean to come up with a kind of similar prototitle for that one remix you know about, chthenjamin Briggs, even though I named it about a week after this was posted. I'd never heard of this. :<

I'm not really familiar with the sonic games, but this does sound reminiscent of Mario RPG in places. Great stuff, despite its clear olderness (I was a little confused at first).

Also I swear I didn't mean to come up with a kind of similar prototitle for that one remix you know about, chthenjamin Briggs, even though I named it about a week after this was posted. I'd never heard of this. :<

oh wow that's a really freaky coincidence

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How yeah, I hear the Mario RPG-like beat to this. That's pretty sweet, actually. I've always loved the Sonic 3 special stage tune and to hear it get this kind of upgrade is a day brightener. The ending was nice, but I would have love it if the die out lasted just a bit longer. All in all, this a cool little ReMix.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02123 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Red Sphere, Blue Sphere"