Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 64) WIP (updated 11-22-10)

Draconiator

• 2 weeks later...

OK, critiques from headphones:

The bass beat seems very loud, and on headphones started giving me a headache and really distracted from the melodies going on, especially for the first minute or so.

The startup sound at 1:42 sounded a bit off. I like the idea of putting the classic startup sound in, but it sounds really chip-tunish compared to the rest of the track. I think it could be made to fit in, maybe with some tweaking of its eq and other effects, but it kinda jumps out right now.

The high synth from 1:53ish on sounds a little shrill to me, very high pitched and not very well blended into the rest of the piece.

Also, the dynamics along the entire song seem pretty static. Try to add some variations - some quieting down right before the startup sound, some slow panning as the trance rolls around (that makes sense in my head, not sure typed out...), just some more rise and fall. Overall, I think you've done pretty good so far. It is definitely different from all other Rainbow Road remixes I've heard :wink:. Mainly fix up some of those production issues and keep it up!

OK, critiques from headphones:

The bass beat seems very loud, and on headphones started giving me a headache and really distracted from the melodies going on, especially for the first minute or so.

The startup sound at 1:42 sounded a bit off. I like the idea of putting the classic startup sound in, but it sounds really chip-tunish compared to the rest of the track. I think it could be made to fit in, maybe with some tweaking of its eq and other effects, but it kinda jumps out right now.

The high synth from 1:53ish on sounds a little shrill to me, very high pitched and not very well blended into the rest of the piece.

Also, the dynamics along the entire song seem pretty static. Try to add some variations - some quieting down right before the startup sound, some slow panning as the trance rolls around (that makes sense in my head, not sure typed out...), just some more rise and fall. Overall, I think you've done pretty good so far. It is definitely different from all other Rainbow Road remixes I've heard :wink:. Mainly fix up some of those production issues and keep it up!

I agree. The bass was a bit loud, and the dynamics were the same throughout.

The Starting effect at 1:39 (not 1:42?) could work with a small layered synth underneath, and if you add a chorus effect, as well.

The final cutoff is a bit sudden and makes it sound unfinished. I don't know if it was intentional, or if it was just the way tindeck uploaded it... :-|

Overall, a very solid piece. Good work.

The Bad:

The "Race Start" synth is out of place, but I think with some clever production/effects you could make it mesh better.

You might want to consider brightening up/distorting the bass synth a tad as you build towards the bridge section. It would give it more flavor, but a little goes a long way. I love the sound you have going already.

You might consider a few more organic sounds for the synths you use later on in the mix.

A little more variation of the beat might be in order to keep the excitement alive, especially after the "Race Start" synth. BUT...

The Good:

That beat is SOLID man.

I like how the song gets ready to gear up and then drops out. It's the perfect tease when the listener is finally getting into the groove.

The gated synth adds a lot of depth.

This mix is quite unique, and I feel like with some minor tweaks and a few new samples this submission will be accepted.

This is sweet. I hope you can get back into it.

Actually I haven't touched this in a while, but if you like it that much...I even have a couple names for it:

Mario Vs. the Martians (or Aliens)

Aliens Race the Rainbow

My idea was that aliens have descended onto the Rainbow Road track, since it's in space and either challenge Mario or kick all the other competitors off and have a race against each other. That being said, do you know of a way to make a convincing mothership noise in FL?

Try layering some 3xOSCs together. Choose a sine wave for the bass end of it and gate the volume (also with a sine pattern). I think if you layer enough of those on different pitches with different gate patterns, you can achieve that weird alien mothership sound, and then you can just use an automation clip to slide the pitch down. It'll need some effects, such as delay, reverb, and perhaps even filters and phasers to make it sound convincing, but you can definitely do it.

I don't have time to play with it myself right now, as I have to run off to work, but FL makes it easy to manipulate sounds like that.

Just some quick thoughts.