OCR02200 - *YES* Mega Man 2 'Smooth Steel'

OceansAndrew

Paneled to make sure there is enough dominant source

ReMix: "Smooth Steel"

ReMixers: zircon, Malcos

Game: Mega Man 2

Source: Metal Man

----

This mix a real blast from the past. I made the instrumental in 2006 as the source material for the first "VOCR" competition (Vocal OC ReMix), organized by Jill (aka pixietricks). The idea was that everyone competing would write, arrange and record vocals atop a premade instrumental ReMix. Malcos' entry was this track, "Smooth Steel", which I think has some great lyrics, a killer vocal arrangement that meshes very creatively with the Metal Man melody, and excellent vocal performances.

My production may have improved since I first made this instrumental, but I still think it holds up after all this time. The style I was going for was R&B/smooth jazz in the vein of Paul Hardcastle, who, at the time, I had just discovered. Malcos' smooth vocals fit perfectly on top of my arrangement, and while I might do things differently today, I really like how this collab ended up. Enjoy!

----

Lyrics:

There's nothing you can do to me

You've inflicted all the pain

That you ever will, and now

I don't want to see your face

Every second I think about you is

Time that I waste

There's a smooth steel cage

Around my heart

The first time you almost got in

and that's why

I gotta forget about you

Gotta leave you far behind

Gotta keep moving forward

Girl I've got a

Smooth steel

Cage wrapped around my heart

It's not made of stone

That can be weathered away

Dead cold

As only steel can be

There's no emotion to see

And it's all because of you

I don't wanna be your lover

I don't wanna be your friend

Don't want to be undercover

I'm so glad this is the end, girl

You don't seem to understand

That all you've caused me is pain

All you care about is yourself

I don't wanna go through that again

I said...

I don't wanna be your lover

I don't wanna be your friend

Don't want to be undercover

Girl I've got a

Smooth steel

Cage wrapped around my heart

It's not made of stone

That can be weathered away

Dead cold

As only steel can be

Don't try to get me back

It won't work

Don't try to call my friends

They don't care

No one can do the things

You did to me

I said I'm dead cold

As only steel can be

Super awesome arrangement here, once the chorus hits, it's all smooth source sexiness. Great vocal takes, solid harmonies, and the backing track is really good as well. Pads fill out the back nicely, and the piano provides a subtle counter-melody.

My one concern is that the original melodies are a little prominent in the verses, but it's still apparent throughout that it's the metal man theme.

Overall solid stuff, Malcos is a singing sensation, and Zircon was still awesome even 4 years ago, when I was just a scrub trying to figure out how to make phat beatz online.

Yes

Man, Malcos' entry was my favorite back during the VOCR competition, and it blew my entry out of the water. Malcos' voice is decidedly sexy, and he did some awesome work on not only the original melodies and harmonies, but the lyrics themselves, which I don't think any of the other entries really matched up to (mine included).

I agree with Andrew that the original melodies can be a little prominent over the source at times, but it's a pretty small issue. Other than that, nice work, and I'm glad this finally made it's way to the inbox!

YES

• 2 months later...

Feelin' it. My only issue is that the liberal e-piano take on the melody that backed up some of the more wholly-original sections got marginalized, almost to the point of being inaudible. But what I could hear was more than enough combined with the overt source usage to be comfortably above the bar for the arrangement.

I thought Stephen's vocals were a bit too upfront, but again, not a huge deal. His chorused vocals are awesome, particularly the choruses; it's a staple of his music, so anyone reading should definitely check out all of his originals. I'll also point out though that he has an incredible knack for penning lyrics about ladies. Smooth stuff from 2 OCR all-stars.

YES

You guys are missing out. I am definitely not passing up a chance to NO zircon.

NO

(for real though I guess I have to YES this on account of it being so smoooove, the source is definitely shoved out of the spotlight during the verses by the prominent original vocals, but the choruses are hotness, and so smooooooooooove)