*NO* Star Fox 'The Lylat System Homeworld'

DragonAvenger

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty rocking rendition, with some solid interpretation.

The guitar performance was excellent, with some nice rhythm and lead playing, and the tone was good as well. I think i think a more subtle vibrato on the held notes would have been better, but it's more of a stylistic choice, as it definitely worked well enough. Some great runs, and some tasteful but still shredding solos thrown in for variety, and some inspired riffs added to the main structure, and the embellished B section near the halfway point was really nice. Great programmed drums, and though the drum tone wasn't perfect (i'd prefer a little more beef), it was punchy and solid, with good fills and varied patterns.

Overall a really nice rock version of an excellent theme.

Very Yes

This track is pretty awesome to listen. I bet hearing it live would be pretty uber. The guitars sound great, even though the drums could be stronger soundwise, the programming is really done well for the track.

The big thing holding me back on this is how coverish it can be at times. There's a good deal of interpretation in some spots, and original riffs, solos, etc, but when you hear the theme, it sounds like there is almost no arrangement to it. That being said, it isn't holding me back to the point of a NO, but I would have loved for there to be more interpretation during those parts.

YES

• 2 months later...

Opening sounded pretty basic, with the lead guitar sounding way too squeaky and flimsy. The lead tone didn't work well with the other instrumentation. The snare writing was too plain; placing it so far upfront just served to call attention to that. The other percussion work sounded quiet and marginalized despite being well-written. The mixing & balance among the parts seemed very off. What happened to the melody from 3:13-3:36? Even if just for "variation," why bury it all of a sudden? I liked the areas that weren't just cover-ish, such as the original writing over the chord progression, but there were a lot of cover-ish verses of the source that really needed something more to better personalize the arrangement and employ more creative variation.

NOTHING here is poor, but the interpretation level of the arrangement being underwhelming, the performance not being as tight as it should have been, and the mixing being off all combined to drag this down to a NO. It's a decent listen, but this needs a little bit of polish everywhere.

The intro is a little weak because of 1. the choppy guitar timing and 2. the dryness of the mix. The arrangement is pretty cool, but the mix is really really weak. There's no low end at all, and everything sounds really small and dry.

Arrangement and performance aside, I feel that this shouldn't pass simply because of the mix.

NO

This has got some cool ideas but I have to agree that the mixing is pretty weak. The drums and accompanying work are barely audible, totally robbing the song of power. I really like the guitar playing, but the guitars in the intro were either cut-and-pasted or had the same squeaky sound each time. As far as the arrangement goes, I felt it went back to the same ideas too many times. Like Larry said, nothing terrible here, but the overall song was underwhelming. The good news is this is a good candidate for a resubmit.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah within 5 seconds seconds of the drums coming in the optimism created by the intro was diminished severely.

Lead guitars are okay, bit hard to hear sometimes.

Rhythm guitars/drums could be beefed up substantially. Don't scoop your rhythm so much, it might make them easier to hear but the meat is gone. Drum sequencing is good but they're not punching properly at all. Louda y'all.

Bass is... just generally missing.

Arrangement is rockin', you just need to make it melt our faces but it sounds to me like this is within your reach, so please do rework this. Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you.

NO, resub plz

Pretty coverish, and being more interpretive with that one source section would definitely be welcome, but there are some good sections like the one starting at 1:56 and the original stuff is good. The mixing again though is by far the biggest issue. Really weakens the track from the crotch-blazer it ought to be. See if you can rework the production for maximum rockitude.

NO