Super Mario Bros. 2 - "Hayride Dreams" (bluegrass/jazz)

superdan54

Hi,

Just completed my first full-fledged VG remix so I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it before I submit it for review. I think it could probably use a little more polish and since I've listened to it a hundred or so times, it would be great for a fresh set of ears to take a listen and give feedback.

I'm sure the source material should be pretty familiar to all. It's done in the David Grisman style of bluegrass/jazz fusion, so it's probably a lot different than anything else on here...not sure if that's good or not :wink:! Hope you like!

Thanks so much!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9881504

EDIT: Since I'm in mod review status, I'll go ahead and post the source material below just in case they want a quick A/B comparison.

awesome!

kinda sloppy playing at times, but that actually grew on me. very human piece.

didnt hear the old version, bass seems in a good spot now. no real complaints about the mixing.

i believe the judges will have a bit to say about medleyitis (transitions) and possibly mention some sloppier spots/loose rhythms (as i said, i personally like most of those).

but i think you're on the safe side cause it's really fun to listen to (and seems like enough of an evolution from the originals, a very natural one at that) ;)

don't take my word for it tho..

I love the themes used and the style! They suit each other really well. I'll echo the comments of previous posters in that it's not the tightest performance in the world, but I take it from the title you're playing everything live yourself? Impressive if you are!

My one criticism would be that it feels like it just needs to be a bit faster when it goes into the Character Select theme. Maybe add a few more little licks with the banjo and mandolin to really set it off as well. Really enjoyable piece as it is though, well done :D

awesome!

kinda sloppy playing at times, but that actually grew on me. very human piece.

didnt hear the old version, bass seems in a good spot now. no real complaints about the mixing.

i believe the judges will have a bit to say about medleyitis (transitions) and possibly mention some sloppier spots/loose rhythms (as i said, i personally like most of those).

but i think you're on the safe side cause it's really fun to listen to (and seems like enough of an evolution from the originals, a very natural one at that) ;)

don't take my word for it tho..

Wow thanks! I consider your Mario 'Dix'ieland remix the gold standard for what I was trying to accomplish so that means a lot :-)!

I agree about the transitions, especially the one right before the bass breakdown. I just couldn't think of a better way to handle it...but something just doesn't sit right with how it transitions, maybe I can tweak it a bit more. I agree that my playing is admittedly sloppy at times...I only wish audio could be quantized as easily as MIDI. Hopefully they'll give me some grace points with that in mind 8).

My one criticism would be that it feels like it just needs to be a bit faster when it goes into the Character Select theme. Maybe add a few more little licks with the banjo and mandolin to really set it off as well. Really enjoyable piece as it is though, well done :D

Yeah, I was originally going to do the Character select in half time, to get it at more of the original tempo, but honestly I'm just not that fast :( and eventually I liked it as more of a laid back swing as I thought I could do a lot more with the tune. But I hear you...it does seem slow at first!

I don't know whether or not I dislike this or love it. It's that loose feeling that gets too loose at some points but then slips back in just soon enough to save it. It's incredibly enjoyable though, arrangement is pretty damn good, very fun, good mixing and calling it a

very human piece
sums it up pretty well. As for judging... I think Nase has said it all really. If it's NO'd it's only because of the timing issues.

Also.

Nice chords.

Just a quick listen, but here goes:

WOW! I love how organic this sounds. It sounds like a jam session that you just rock out to.

The Bad:

the transition at :37 is alright. You might want to do something to bridge the gap here and make it flow.

The transition at 1:15 sounds really rushed, and the ascending guitar sounds out of place.

The banjo from 1:40 to 2:12 sounds good, but it is a tad sloppy. As another reviewer said, I think that adds the human aspect to it, which is good, but it might be a tad much. You might want to go back and clean it up some.

The Good:

The overall sound quality is impressive. It sounds like the band is here in my room playing for me. Nice job!

The solo work at 1:16 is a nice touch and adds a lot of novelty, class, and individuality to this mix.

The piano at 1:32 adds some good contrast to the sound and helps it stay alive.

I like that you pass off the melody to the banjo at 1:40.

You do a GREAT job at introducing a good variation on the theme at 2:12. I loved it! You continue by passing the buck to the bass at 2:27 and give it time to shine. Nice!

This has incredible potential! This only needs a little work and I'm sure it is submission worthy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

sorry I haven't responded in a bit...been away w/ the holidays and all then basically rebuilt my pc with some Black Friday purchases 8-).

Anyway, I really appreciate all the input, and especially the Reverend for his very detailed response. I did tweak the mix (which has been uploaded), and tried to tighten the transitions and a few loose banjo parts. All in all though I think it's good to go, so I'm going to submit this for mod review. thanks again for all of your extremely valuable input!

I have to ask, Did you use a 5-string or 4-string banjo?

cuz I play a 5-string which is a more bluegrass style banjo, where as 4-string is more jazz style banjo.

And the mix is AMAZING!, I love how u did it i'm not sure what yu should change really. :)

Yeah I play 5-string bluegrass style (3-finger) as well. I know exactly what you are talking about though ;).

I'd say this has a good chance of making it on OCR. It's only the timing issues/performance issues that might be brought up as a factor. I think they're fine because the things you're playing are technically difficult and there's a whole lot of charm in your playing, but that might hold some people back. The slight medleyitis is cleared up by the end, when you've done a lot more of your own interpretation, so I don't think that's an issue. Maybe the mixing is a bit rough, but I think it works just fine for the style of mix.

Good luck!

everyone else is spot on with the timing issues. I agree with nase that it works (at times), but there are also some points where it's just a little awkward, otherwise it's a nice little production. pretty ace arrangement you have here too- i personally wasn't feeling the medleyitis too bad. really loved the smb1 swimming section at the beginning :)

i'd say it's worth a shot on the panel as it is, but don't be too surprised if they have a few complaints about the timing. ;)

nice work!