ATTN: Orchestra Composers/Remixers — Need A Demo?

Jaroban

Hey guys & gals!

I wanted to extend this offer to you all. I booked a session with a 54-piece orchestra and I don't need all of the studio time that I booked, so I'm trying to sell off the extra produced minutes to make it more affordable for everybody.

I know there are some aspiring orchestrators around here, and here's your chance to get one of your compositions or remixes recorded live for a very reasonable price.

Please check out the eBay listing if you are interested for more details:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230551555128

And direct any questions at me through the auction page.

Oh and move quick, because I need the scores and parts by Friday night.

Thank you!

-J

It's a 4-hour session and I've meted out 20 minutes of finished material, so 5 minutes/hour or about 12 minutes/minute. I've been assured it is doable so long as the material submitted isn't too difficult, which I noted on the auction page.

I chose the instruments to go with my own scores that I'm having performed at the session. It was recommended me as a good set of instruments to at least get your feet wet writing for all the instruments, while keeping costs down not hiring a complete 65-piece orchestra.

It's a 4-hour session and I've meted out 20 minutes of finished material, so 5 minutes/hour or about 12 minutes/minute. I've been assured it is doable so long as the material submitted isn't too difficult, which I noted on the auction page.

I chose the instruments to go with my own scores that I'm having performed at the session. It was recommended me as a good set of instruments to at least get your feet wet writing for all the instruments, while keeping costs down not hiring a complete 65-piece orchestra.

What do they mean by standard doublings?

And it just seemed imbalanced to have 4 horns and 2 trumpets, or things like 2 flutes which are very quiet and 2 oboes, one which could be heard over an entire orchestra.

Things like that.

And the strings are very small compared to the other sections--of course, if they double track the strings, that can make up for it, for sure!

Standard doublings

Flute->Piccolo

Oboe->English Horn

Clarinet->Bass Clarinet

etc.

It's not that weird, it's a little brass-heavy but I did that so I can get some work in writing for all the brass instruments.

Basic orchestration dictates that you need 2 horns to balance with 1 trumpet or 1 trombone at forte.

2 oboes are very capable of blending with 2 flutes. Typical orchestra a due will have 2 of each type of woodwind. Often 2nd oboe will play an English horn part so maybe that will take care of your balance issues.

Standard doublings

Flute->Piccolo

Oboe->English Horn

Clarinet->Bass Clarinet

etc.

It's not that weird, it's a little brass-heavy but I did that so I can get some work in writing for all the brass instruments.

Basic orchestration dictates that you need 2 horns to balance with 1 trumpet or 1 trombone at forte.

2 oboes are very capable of blending with 2 flutes. Typical orchestra a due will have 2 of each type of woodwind. Often 2nd oboe will play an English horn part so maybe that will take care of your balance issues.

i concur. this is a little simplistic in terms of not taking ranges and the like into account, but this is a relatively normal layout for an orchestra.

your strings might have a little trouble being heard, but it'll be fine, if they know what they're doing.

I'd move the 2nd oboe to a 3rd flute, personally.

I like my horns 4 to 3 trumpets. 2 trumpets on top, 1 on bottom and 2 and 2 for horns or 4 part choir, which sounds great.

It just seems weak on the trumpet side, in my opinion, but whatever.

The strings are real light here--hopefully the mic placement will take care of that point.

I'd move the 2nd oboe to a 3rd flute, personally.

I like my horns 4 to 3 trumpets. 2 trumpets on top, 1 on bottom and 2 and 2 for horns or 4 part choir, which sounds great.

It just seems weak on the trumpet side, in my opinion, but whatever.

The strings are real light here--hopefully the mic placement will take care of that point.

naw, it's really, really rare to find an orchestra that requires two flutes and a picc, or three flutes, until you get into the late 19th century romanticism. two trumpets is enough, too, when you consider that horn 1 and 3 basically function as trumpet 3 in some instances.