Homestuck (Webcomic)

Tensei

I stumbled across this webcomic a few days ago and I've literally been addicted to it ever since I started reading.

What really sets this webcomic apart from most others is the way the author incorporates animated gifs, simple flash games, as well as REALLY well done flash movies with an amazing soundtrack to boot. It really feels like an actual webcomic (as it wouldn't be possible to retain the same format in any other medium), rather than just a comic that happens to be on the internet.

In addition, the format in which the comic is presented is based on old text-based adventure games where the player would issue commands to the ingame characters by typing them out. This idea is retained in the form of a suggestion box where readers can post their commands for the characters, with the author generally picking the best/most interesting ones to advance the plot without incorporating too many tangents (except the most funny ones).

The art is extremely charming, generally using a sort of super-deformed style, but switching appropriately to more realistic proportions for the characters during action sequences.

Then there's the writing, which is arguably the best part in my opinion. The overall plot gets extremely complex, with multiple timelines and universes running through each other, but somehow the author makes it all work and manages to keep things relatively coherent. The plot contains many elements from games like Earthbound (Homestuck is even somewhat of a synonym for Earthbound), The Sims, Spore, and Chrono Trigger, as well as a shitton of other pop-cultural shoutouts (too many to list).

The characters are all quite detailed and well written, despite the sizable cast. I honestly can't think of a single character I outright dislike, and the dialogues all tend to be very witty and intelligent, without feeling overly pretentious.

Oh, and the comic gets updated like 5 times a day, unless the next update is some big flash movie.

2dkicty.gifTL;DR GO READ THIS NOW2dkicty.gifbluh bluh

Not going to lie- really don't like the MSpaint-esque art style.

Also, it's probably because it's just the beginning, but after 10 minutes I really wasn't feeling it.

I know how popular this thing is (it's got a shitton of fans on the forum I admin at), and of course it's all over /co/, but it's hard for me to see just why from my own impressions.

I'll probably try to give it another go this weekend when I actually have some free tim- wait, no, two research papers due. Maybe thanksgiving.

Not going to lie- really don't like the MSpaint-esque art style.

Also, it's probably because it's just the beginning, but after 10 minutes I really wasn't feeling it.

I know how popular this thing is (it's got a shitton of fans on the forum I admin at), and of course it's all over /co/, but it's hard for me to see just why from my own impressions.

I'll probably try to give it another go this weekend when I actually have some free tim- wait, no, two research papers due. Maybe thanksgiving.

Homestuck has a slow start. A very slow start cause it's introducing so much crap. But it starts to snowball and around the 2nd act it starts to get really really good.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Like two years later, I read this. I think it's awesome.

I was increasingly surprised at how detailed the writing is, and how loose ends either get tied, or tied to something else... But there's nothing lazy about the story arc... Even if it's bizarre, things are always introduced in a way that can make sense in that "world". It's hard to describe.

Also Tensei has ended up on the music team, and he did a huge chunk of the music for the Cascade flash, which is probably one of the greatest things ever.

I got a song on their latest album w/ a remix of Doctor too *_*.

So yes, read it, and discuss? Anyone?

I got a song on their latest album w/ a remix of Doctor too *_*.

When I saw on the bandcamp, I was thinking that it was you, but I wasn't sure until now. Awesome and congrats! :-D

Btw, I've had a question for some time: is Doctor based off of the chorus to Journey's Separate Ways? It's especially clear to me whenever I listen to Savior of the Dreaming Dead, so am I just crazy or...

Anyway for comparison:

I dunno. I always thought it was something that kinda mimic'd Moonsong from Cave Story.

The dude that wrote it, George Buzinkai used to go by the name "The Doctor" or something, so it's like, his song for how he felt. He based the name "The Doctor" off the character from Cave Story. Also some parts remind me of Secret of Mana etc.

It's also been pointed out that it resembles

... So basically IMO Doctor is kinda just a clusterfuck of inspiration from lots of things.

Oh man, I didn't realize this was a thread that existed. Congrats on getting on the album, Monobrow. Your mix is awesome has been on my playlist consistently since you initially posted it, so I recognized it about 3 seconds into the album. Shame they stuck with a rigid naming scheme for most of the tracks on the album because I really liked your original title.

I never made the Doctor/Separate Ways connection before but that's a great comparison because Savior of the Dreaming Dead is my favorite Doctor piece (and one of the best pieces the comic has spawned, period, for that matter) and Separate Ways is my favorite Journey song. I definitely hear the stylistic similarities now that I think about it.

Oh, and Tensei, if you're still reading this thread--"Strife!" was awesome and I really hope you do another one for either the scratched kids or trolls or both because I'd love to hear more awesome video-game inspired shreddage. Even if it's not an official "Music Team" release, since those seem like they might not be happening so much anymore.

• 4 months later...
I'm pretty sure Homestuck's fandom will slowly take control and absorb all other fandoms.

this sounds familiar

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-haha-mlp-time.jpg

21700221bee7c8e4a7f45af5af74603a.png?1313055277

homestuck_ponies_by_reisengespenst-d47smyh.png

[/offtopic]

aaaaand this one is relevant and makes sense to anyone who watches MLP.

tumblr_m3d11qWTqg1ru5991o1_500.jpg

brb spamming the MLP thread with these same images. Then I'll probably stop with the crossover pics

Homestuck's fan following is weird.

We had a homestuck panel at ConBravo this year and they were enthusiastic but strange. At one point they were all singing something.

Some of the fandom are some sick puppies. They forget all the characters are 13 years old.

Anyway the best thing about Homestuck is the part where Hussie is trolling the fanbase and they don't even realize it.