PSP2 Images leaked

The Damned

http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/17/psp2-dev-kit-snaps-show-twin-sticks-trackpad/

http://psp.ign.com/articles/113/1135225p1.html

Both VG247 and IGN cite sources that confirm the photos are real, so maybe it's true?

Any way, it sports two analog nubs, as well as the often-mentioned back touchpad. It also has one front and one rear facing camera.

To top it off, the same sources are saying that newer design foregoes the PSP Go-like design in favor of something more like the original PSP.

I have no doubts that the final product will not look like that at all.

Both articles even mention that the current devkit doesn't even look like that. (A fact that The Damned inarticulately attempted to convey in the first post.)

also having a trackpad on the back of the thing sounds like the dumbest idea ever

Both articles even mention that the current devkit doesn't even look like that. (A fact that The Damned inarticulately attempted to convey in the first post.)

Oops, thought I wrote something else there. Fixed.

also having a trackpad on the back of the thing sounds like the dumbest idea ever

Didn't you hear, touch-everything is the new everything. Everything has to be touch now. Two of my four mp3 players are touch pads or touch-screens.

As well as the whole touch-only faggotry, I'd like to see handheld devices made of anything that isn't glossy plastic. Fingerprint smudges are the most hideous thing a new device can have; they ruin the shine, they make it look like it's been abused, and they can look like it's been handled by a million people with dirty hands. Just stop making everything with glossy finishes!

The nub was workable, but definitely left room for improvement, sure.

I'm a dude so the weight never got to me (course I always support my elbows but still.)

Also how long are you playing to strain your hands, jeez

Well, it becomes uncomfortable to hold after an hour or so - I've always found myself moving around just to find a different position to hold the PSP in because of the heft. Then again, I have one of the fat ones - they might've reduced the weight on the newer ones, I don't know.

It's the same knock I had on the original fat DS as well (playing Metroid Prime Hunters was a chore on it), which was why the DS Lite was such a big deal when released.

I care about specs more than anything. Who needs more redesigns? We've already have enough of those (what... 3 or 4 for the original PSP?) So, hopefully this will be a big step up in horsepower.

IIRC, I read somewhere that it was going to have twice the available RAM as a 360. Considering that large amounts of RAM are usually the biggest shortcomings of mobile gaming, besides raw processing power, it's definitely a good sign. Sony managed to get PS2-level graphics out of the original PSP (See Tekken Dark Ressurection, the MGS games for PSP, Gran Turismo, etc.), so I have little doubt that they're going to take the same raw horsepower and specs approach with the PSP2 as well.

And FINALLY, TWO THUMB NUBS. Sony, welcome back to 2000.

I actually think the touch pad on the back is an excellent idea.

You could easily control a cursor on the screen with your middle or ring finger. Your screen would never be smudged. And if you (like me) have ginormous hands, they wont get in the way of your view (as mine do on the ds). If nintendo rereleased the ds yet again with a touch pad on the back instead of the touch feature on the bottom screen I'd be all for it.

I actually think the touch pad on the back is an excellent idea.

You could easily control a cursor on the screen with your middle or ring finger. Your screen would never be smudged. And if you (like me) have ginormous hands, they wont get in the way of your view (as mine do on the ds). If nintendo rereleased the ds yet again with a touch pad on the back instead of the touch feature on the bottom screen I'd be all for it.

Never gonna happen. The DS and its line is all about the forward touchscreen, not a backward touchpad.

So unless the next Nintendo handheld is really different from the DS (which in itself was really different from everything else), we aren't going to see Nintendo doing anything that Sony already has. Besides, that would be backwards: Sony copies Nintendo, remember?

Since when are people around here interested in the PSP for PSP games? I thought everyone just used theirs for SNES emulation, so who cares if this new one has better graphics.

But seriously, I haven't played my PSP in a long long time. And I already have a PS3 and will be getting a 3DS. Not sure what exclusives the system could get to make me want one. Even if Uncharted 3 came out, who is to say it wouldn't be ported over to the PS3 in a few months time. Actually, that would be one of the few games that could make me want the system (and I'm afraid Sony is aware of that.) I'd rather have Uncharted 3 on the PS3, thank you.

If they manage to get PS3-level graphics on this new system do you think the battery life will be very long? Nintendo is already fessing up that their 3DS's charge won't last as long as its predecessors. Then again, I guess battery life doesn't matter much if you're among the aging casualized gamers. Or you play your handheld systems at home plugged into the wall.