*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'A Hog in His Prime' *RESUB*

OceansAndrew

original joojment: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30782

Remixers: Brandon Strader, halc, WillRock

Halc and Brandon said, "The remix was quite gnarly at one time, but halc went along and changed everything and made it sell-out. Brandon thought that it was neato before, and was even happy with it. Sadly, the judges thought otherwise! Eventually, Brandon and Halc decided it would be much more better if they pleased the nazi-jooj's. So halc used his massive skills to make the song simpler and less long.

WillRock is ghey! He made British people look stupid..."

WillRock had this to say in a British accent, "Originally I was going to be the guy remixing this track for brandons resub (I had a wip in the works for a while) but halc came along and stole my thunder :P Seriously tho, halc did a much better job, and I pushed my way back into this by helping out with the drum work. We were debating if I'd done enough to warrant remixer credit but brandon was cool with it so here I am. Turned out pretty cool if you ask me."

Brandon concludes, "Any time I get the opportunity to make fun of WillRock for being British in a public setting, I'm happy. That's enough for me to justify giving him remixer credit for this song. Nah but really, these two goofballs took a good song and made it better. They're like Jude from that old Beatles song. WillRock also did a ridiculous solo near the end that is completely over-the-top. Halc has a style that most of us probably couldn't replicate, so it's a real treat to hear the song redone in his style.

The original version of this song is up on Youtube now (

) and it's definitely worth checking out if you like halc's version. The original has a few more riffs, and all the parts in their original context."

• 2 weeks later...

Balance is a lot better, and the zazz that halc and Mr. Rock bring to the track give it a lot more personality. Transitions felt better, and the song both feels more grounded in the source, and also unique, so nice work there. I think a slightly larger build up to Willrock's solo would have been better, but it still worked pretty well.

Still very medleyish, but that's how the source rolls, so no foul there. It is a strange call because of the disparate styles, but I think based on the source itself I can let it go; each section is expanded upon with interpretation, and I think there is a place for this track on OCR.

I have no idea what you fools are saying in your sub letters except for Will, so i'll assume that you were driven insane by the medleyitis. Will, thank you for actually behind coherent. :-)

Yes

I'm not crazy about the somewhat disjointed feel of this or of the source, but that's more of a personal preference than anything else. Things are definitely improved over the previous version. The balance is a lot clearer, and the transitions work fairly well. Nice solo, Will.

Also, agreed with Andrew that you guys make no sense, sans Will.

YES

• 1 month later...

I think the lead guitars are quite smeared in the low-mids. I'd trim out some of the 300Hz range in favor of some extra 2k. Ok, the same problem with the rhythm guitars. This is actually quite detrimental to the mix in my opinion. The whole mix seems muddy during the sections that have guitars.

As for the composition, there are great ideas, but a lot of them aren't linked very well. Like what's up with the transition at 3:20? Jarring. I feel like the track features a lot of vignettes that are of dubious relationship. Not bad though.

The performances are okay, but not great. The recorder was way out of tune.

I don't think you have to fix all these issues for this to pass, but you have to fix some of them.

NO

• 1 month later...

Very hard song to judge. The transitions are almost non-existent; it's like changing stations on the radio. I think even given the medley structure of the original this could have been smoother if the style changes weren't as abrupt. If the ending credits song didn't exist, this would be a no-brainer NO for me.

The lead guitar actually sounded ok to me in most sections, but the rhythm guitars were not so good. 2:07 was particularly rough, the guitars sound so dull and there's not much else to listen to there. Luckily, those rhythm guitars didn't show up too often and were usually one of many elements.

Sorry but I'm gonna say NO to this. A disjointed source can be remixed but not disjointedly; this just doesn't have the level of smoothness and consistency as songs we post on the site.

NO

• 1 month later...

I've heard this before, but not with my judging hat on, so let's see how I feel. The issue of the credits having lots of quick transitions doesn't account for the jarring instrumental and mood changes found in this mix. The Credits source tune had flow that this does not have. The musicianship's not really in question, though the guitar work should have sounded sharper and wasn't mixed as well as it should have been, as Vig mentioned. We'll see if the transitions are particularly bothersome and denote a lack of flow...

2:07 transition was weak.

2:36 transition was weak.

3:20 transition wasn't great, but was OK.

The 2:36-3:20 beatwork patterns didn't fill out the background enough and got repetitive after a while.

3:52 transition wasn't great, nor OK, but not all the way awful.

4:17 transition was great.

5:17 transition was fine.

2 mehs, 2 ehs, and only 2 yeahs for the transitions, IMO. This has way less flow than the original. Plus plodding, empty beatwork for one section, and lackluster geetar production. I liked the Special Stage stuff that opened things up, but after that, the multiple issues here ultimately added up to an unfortunate NO-go.

• 4 weeks later...
If the ending credits song didn't exist, this would be a no-brainer NO for me.

A disjointed source can be remixed but not disjointedly; this just doesn't have the level of smoothness and consistency as songs we post on the site.]

This is an excellent summary. Yes, the staff roll theme is a medley that doesn't spend very long on each theme, but the style shifts here are way stronger than they are in the original. The individual pieces are enjoyable, but the original being disjointed doesn't give a free pass for disjointedness.

And dead horse beating incoming, but what happened to the guitars? :-(

NO

Gonna keep it short as most everything's been covered pretty thoroughly. Fix up the guitar tone (eq mainly) & smooth out the overall arrangement/progression of the song.

Wasn't mentioned specifically before, but there are some loose performances issues at 1:19, 4:19 (listen to guitar plucks and recorder together).

I've heard similar guitar eq/production issues with several of your recent songs, Brandon, but I'm assuming these were all subbed prior to you receiving any feedback on it. So I look forward to hearing some of your more recent stuff where you've had a chance to address this.

No