*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Leaded Mario Brothers'

djpretzel

Contact Info

inanis/dwills (we call ourselves Nintendo Revengo)

Joe Strosnider / Dorian Wills

inanis@ecr.net / dwills@ecr.net

http://www.inanis.net

UserID: 19326

ReMix Info

Game: Super Mario Brothers

Remix Name: Leaded Mario Brothers

After my first post failed the well honed scrutiny of the judges, I decided I needed to make some real music instead of bleeps and bloops. I enlisted the help of Dorian Wills, one of my coworkers, to play the Super Mario Brothers theme for me on guitar. After several takes and a plethora of artistic input from Dorian, this is the result. We wish we had a drummer for the percussion, but we were both fresh out, so synth drums had to be used.

Lead and Rythym Guitar composed by Dorian Wills. Bass Line, Percussion, and production by Joe Strosnider. Used ModPlug Tracker for the Bass Line and Percussion. Used Cool Edit Pro to for arrangement, mixing, processing, etc.

This often (but not always) had some boring stock/beatkeeping synth drums. Listening to the Minibosses' CV2 Mini-Mayhem, you can hear them using tackling a lot more of the source tune's finer aspects beyond the melody. That includes putting more thought into the percussion in particular so that you're actually accompanying the progression of the Mario theme more.

Not really worth 4+ minutes of this, as this could have been achieved in 2 1/2 - 3 and not been so repetitive. No particular twists and turns with the composition to keep it fresh the whole time. 3:04 is the verbatim with the intro. 1:45 with the use of the Underground BGM music was one of the few portions of the song that was expansive as an rearrangement. 2:45-3:04 also did a good job of fitting your original riffs to the actual theme.

Try and get the recording/production a lot sharper as well, but all things considered, trim some of the more repetitive portions and put more creativity/varation in the perc and you'd have a better shot.

NO

Really great guitar work. I do agree completely with the other judges, however, the great work in that regard and neat arrangement makes this a difficult one. I'm rejecting this due to the many failings of the mix that have been covered already, but that doesn't take away from the mix's high points and enjoyability. Work on the other elements of the mix beyond the guitar and resubmit.

Bordeline No.