Lolo 3: The Eggerlander March

docnano

It's about time we had some Lolo 3 love on OCR, so I made a Sousa-esque march based primarily on two themes from Lolo 3 -- the main level music (first strain), and the overworld theme (trio). The second strain is a development of the little jingle you hear when you get a power-up such as a bridge or hammer.

Source:

(2:11) Main Level Music

(3:16) Overworld Music

Things to improve? Enough source? Original enough? Worth submitting with a little more polish?

Thanks for the suggestions! Here's version 2. (link removed)

I've bumped the tempo up to 125, added articulation (esp. in woodwinds) and more dynamic shaping to the phrases, as well as some ensemble chorus effects and reverb to make the overall effect more convincing. Also shortened the attack time on the brass/horns to make them less squawky, more crisp. I'm still thinking about adding a dedicated trumpet voice as well as a bassoon, but it depends on whether I can get them to sound good.

Sample quality still a major issue? If so, can anyone suggest free/cheap alternatives? I'm not keen on dropping hundreds of quid on sample libraries at the moment. :-\

• 5 months later...

I'm really tempted to call this one "The Blue Ball March" since, well, Lolo is a blue ball. Not sure if I want a title like that tied to my name though.

I obtained some free samples from EWQLSO, so I decided to revisit this one and give it a production overhaul.

I recently bought EWQLSO Silver, so I should imminently have some more articulations and keyswitching at my disposal. On my list of things to improve:

- Improve trumpet and French horn articulation

- Replace clarinet sample

- Flesh out low brass in some places for impact

- Add piccolo and some auxiliary percussion

As usual, other suggestions are welcome. I'd really like to submit this one when it's finished, since to my knowledge Lolo 3 has not yet been remixed.

Just wanted to point out how much this sounds like Kid Icarus music.

These new samples are definitely helping a lot, but the arrangement doesn't really feel dynamic enough. I like the sound you've got going on, but for much of the song it feels like it treks along at the same energy level without ever taking off, which is a shame because I really do feel like this style would sound awesome when coupled with an arrangement that crescendos a bit more. It's probably doable without even changing any of the arrangement, just getting some more booming timpanis and strong brass/string section accompaniment at appropriate times might do the trick.

I like this a lot though :-D Can't wait to hear what you do with this!

Slight update, wherein I tried to accentuate the dynamic and textural contrasts, and added a triangle for excitement:

img.php?fid=1220

Just wanted to point out how much this sounds like Kid Icarus music.

I know it's a fan favorite, but... never played it. I shall have to check out the OST!

I like the sound you've got going on, but for much of the song it feels like it treks along at the same energy level without ever taking off, which is a shame because I really do feel like this style would sound awesome when coupled with an arrangement that crescendos a bit more.

I'm afraid some of that comes with the genre. :-\ But I'm definitely still learning how to use these samples; the expression knob is rather stiff, so to speak, so I have to overdo the automation compared to what I'm used to. I'm hoping that a few well-placed notes and dynamic changes will do it, since I'm pretty happy with the arrangement as it stands. Thanks for the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh-la-la!!

What can I say? Didn't hear your previous WIPs, but as it is now, I'd easily mistake this for Strauss or anything like that (not an expert in names of classical music here, just sayin') ;P

Sounds like there's distortion when glockenspiel plays, but still, it's brilliant! Add your piccolo or whatever, I'm schizophrenicly looking forward to this ^^

happy-emoticon-for-MSN-03.gif

I'm talking about distortion 'noise'; its sound kinda 'shakes' even during silent bits of the song. I think that could be sorted out, but still I'm okay with it.

Piccolo sounds nice, but sometimes the melody sounds out of place for me (specially those weird notes at 2:12-2:14!).

Yea, let's wait anxiously for the judgment of the mods! \@/

I'm talking about distortion 'noise'; its sound kinda 'shakes' even during silent bits of the song. I think that could be sorted out, but still I'm okay with it.

Piccolo sounds nice, but sometimes the melody sounds out of place for me (specially those weird notes at 2:12-2:14!).

Good thing I'm planning on doing a marathon of cleaning out my backlog'd workshop eval stuff. SOMETIME THIS WEEK!

holdon.jpg

Re glock: I see -- maybe an issue with the EWQLSO sample itself then? If I understand what you're talking about, I've heard the same issue with glock in other mixes (like My Child from Gears + Humans, maybe). I'm not applying any compression whatsoever and am normalizing, so there shouldn't be overload/distortion issues...

Re piccolo: Thanks for the thoughts. It's possible some of the rhythms/notes could change slightly, but they do at least fall within the chord progression. :-)

Yeah, this is some quality orchestration. I definitely feel like this is more dynamic and dramatic than the previous versions that I've heard. Some of the rhythm timing on the piccolo is a little off, and in the highest notes the sample just ends up sounding weak. That's the only thing that really stands out to me in a bad way, everything else about this rocks. Should have no problem passing :-)