Sonic 2 - Metropolis Zone Trancish remix

Obtuse

The Bad:

The lead synth is a little thin. I think you could do a lot to fatten it up. The bass has some breadth to it, so pump up the lead line with a fatter synth or something of the like.

It's a tad repetitive (though I realize you were looking for a collab partner for a solo). However, don't be afraid to add your own! With all the synth work you have going on I'm sure you could create a wild, unique sound of your own and have it counter what is already going on. I hear some sort of wah-wah effect written all over this.

The bassline is good, but I think it could benefit from some filtering to transform the sound at different points in the song. Perhaps distort it a bit?

The Good:

I like the entry. It's like dropping in to the song from a spaceship. :-P

For being a purely synth mix, I think you achieve a good sound.

Where did those bongos go?! Oh, they came back later! This is sweeeeeet man. I dig the groove.

The arrangement isn't bad. A counter melody is needed at some point, but you know that.

This is groovin'. Keep it up!

There are some cool ideas in this mix, its kinda minimal in soundscape however. The synths are somwhat generic, and the lead sounds bland, but there is something quite appealing about the sound you have, its just not quite meshing together quite yet... That clap sample is rather thin, i'd try layering different claps together and adding a small amount of reverb to boost it up a little. The synths have alot of reverb and delay added, which gives the track a very spacious sound, but I feel like it never reaches its full potential... it sounds like there is a missing frequency range somewhere, I'd try adding some sort of rhythmic synth in the most dynamically full sections to increase the fullness of the sound and add more interest in the mix. The lack of a download link is annoying as without it I can't pinpoint with too much ease where certain issues are... for example, the 16th notes in the bridge section after the main lead part have back feedback timing which causes the notes to bleed into each other.

As for the arrangement, atm, it sounds too repetitive, you need to change things up more :) add some more countermelodies and solos etc... altho from the sounds of it you intend to do just this, and there is alot of dynamic variety, altho there might be too many change ups...

Well the good points are that you do have some variations on the main theme, the sound design while not awesome is commendable (the synth that plays the main riff is sweet).

I'd keep working on this one, it shows potential, good luck!

Some very funky ideas here. Problem is, I'm not finding a download button so I can't go into the details of it. Get me a download button and we'll talk further ;)

Thing to keep in: the drop in theme with the following synth solo. THAT, my friend, was pure trance and a very nice way of differentiating your remix from others. As said, get me that download link, but I'm digging this remix big time. I hope you can expand upon what you have, because if you can this can easily become the best Sonic remix of the year. Now what are you waiting for? Get back to work ;)

[EDIT] At three-quarters of the track (with the slider approx. above the i), you fade to silence a bit and after that go back to the "standard" chord progression. I would recomend a "blast" to suck the listener back into the track instead of making that last part the finishing move, with everything going back to relaxed; there's room for build-down later on, for example by lengthening the track to 3:15 or 3:30. If you need pure musical advice on that, check out Luke Terry's Chemical Plant remix. That should give you an idea of what I mean :)

[EDIT2] OK... I've just caught myself replaying your remix for the third or fourth time or so in between other tracks. I'm hooked ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...