OCR01274 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'The Frontier'

djpretzel

Probably a no-brainer, but I hedge my bets these days, plus I get to quote you guys, making writeups easier :) - djp

darkesword edit: Dave, you lazy ass.

Here ya go djpretzel,

Sorry about the resubmission thing. First remix in 2 years. Anyways, I have to build a stronger computer. Apparently 1.5GB of ram is still not anywhere close to enough (must also get 2nd computer up and running). I think my computer crashed about 12 times before this thing got done. High quality samples can be a curse in disguise.

Title: The Frontier

Arranger: Jared Hudson

Game: Chrono Trigger

Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda

Company: Squaresoft

Year: 1995

Jared Hudson

great orchestralesque goodness. A clearly strong mix all around.

my only criticism is that brass riff goes on a bit too long..the switch at 3:30 is overdue. by the 5 minute mark i feel the same way about the new rhythm part.

on the whole, great orchestration, creative and enjoyable remix.

NO.

er, sorry force of habit.

YES

This is pretty obviously OCR material. Top-notch samples, great rearrangement, solid mastering; anyone reading this should take notes, as this is the perfect example of a great orchestral ReMix. I would like to mention a few complaints though: it feels like a few of the sections, particularly 1:43 through 3:10, drag on too long. The percussion tends to be on the repetitive and uninteresting side, and while I can't offer specific suggestions since this isn't my area of expertise, it seems like more could be done in terms of drumwork. Basically, I think this mix could have been a minute shorter without losing any quality, but nonetheless, an easy YES.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Chrono Trigger" (ct-1-02a.spc & ct-1-02b.spc) & "Guardia Millenial Fair" (ct-1-06.spc)

For giving me such ear torture this batch, I'm shouldn't giving djp anything remotely usable to quote. Thus, I'm gonna intersperce my words with l33tspeak. Thi5 was 2 awesome. Jar3d did @ great job 0verhauling th!s fro/\/\ d4 /\/ear-\/erba7im Chr0n0'z t|-|eme cov3r "Generations of Time".

Seriously though, the rearrangement here is A-grade, even though the ending vox was [does a so-so hand gesture] and 7/4 Millenial Fair was DarkeSword's idea first! This is true crossover level material. If you wanna break a non-VGM fan a remix and see if they like it, this is certainly one you could try on them. Glad to see Jared's back with a new mix as this'll hit the n00bs in a big way. I smell Grammy! Well, a Latin Grammy, but that's still a Grammy...

YES

It's already a Yes, but since I had this I'd like to comment anyway. The first version Jared submitted of this was an instant NO due to the lack of arrangement. Jared did a very nice job of taking our input and reworking the mix. The result is a really polished, well orchestrated mix. My only gripe is the rhythm, driving percussion gets very, very repetitive. I would have liked a more evolving backdrop.

Great mix.

Easy Yes regardless.