How would ye feel about an IRC channel servermove?

Draconiator

I've been browsing around on the forums and I've noticed that at least 2, possibly 4 or more (not including me) are banned from ETG due to their arseholish rules. The IRC server I come from (Espernet) I have not had any problems with whatsoever since I got wireless in 2004.

I've been PMing/AIMing people about this, and they say you won't move no matter what. But think of Mirby, Arcana, and others who want to get on but can't due to EnterTheGroan.

In my 10+ years of IRC experience, I haven't found a better place than Esper. Been there even before 2004 when I still had dialup (and the house was occasionally filled with the sweet sound of modem handshaking noises).

What do you people think?

I dig espernet. I hated ETG this summer. I got hit by a spam bot and then ETG was using a bunch of different services that said i was a spam bot. It took forever to get let on again after fixing the issue. The other issue I had was I had 2 devices on the network. By default ETG only allows 3 devices or they just straight up ban you and you have to sit there and wait for a mod to be there so you can be unbanned. I would get banned when my internet crapped out and i reconnected. Since the old connection didn't timeout, i would get banned.

I doubt this move will ever take place Draconiator. Why are you still banned? Have you asked the Mods to get let back on?

Moving could be a good idea. It seems that the number of those unable to join #OCReMix is gradually increasing. If enough people approve of the notion, this would have to be proposed to djpretzel.

Well if people wouldn't be dipshits and get themselves banned I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem.

I really don't get why people have trouble with ETG. I've been on the #ocremix channel since 2003. I've used it from dozens of computers and internet connections and I've never had any problems whatsoever. Literally not once, on any coast, in any state.

That being said, I don't like ETG because it doesn't have a real chanserv/nickserv. So I'm down with a move.

I've never liked ETG's policies and like people said, lack of NickServ and stuff is annoying. It's probably close to one of the worst IRC networks of that size that I've been on. I get so frustrated watching how often other people have issues with the network.

It's not bad enough that I would hate it if we stayed, but I would honestly prefer a move.

I really don't get why people have trouble with ETG.

Nobody does get why.

That's why ETG is a shitty network.

Lemme ask a n00b question: Way back before OCR was a gleam in my eye, I (don't laugh) spent time on EFNet on #anime and #ranma or something like that, talking about anime and how rad it was, etc.

One of those chans had just migrated from another network, and they actually had a bridge bot that allowed some sort of cross-server communication. I don't remember it working particularly well, but it existed.

Is there anything like that out there, that could smooth any potential migration?

Also, are DALnet and undernet still options?