How would ye feel about an IRC channel servermove?

Draconiator

Well seeing as how a /topic in the server window reveals that there's already an #ocremix on freenode I guess this has already been decided.

Eh, you can have it. I'm gonna stay lurkermode on ##4eCO and no I'm not telling you what nick I'm using so people can't come and bug me for no reason.

:???:

Nothing's been decided. I just pre-emptively registered #ocremix on a couple of servers.

I've been PMing/AIMing people about this, and they say you won't move no matter what. But think of Mirby, Arcana, and others who want to get on but can't due to EnterTheGroan.

I don't know why I was mentioned as someone who was mentioned as wanting to get on but can't. To my knowledge I've never had a connection issue with ETG.

Anyway I'm not experienced enough with IRC servers to be picky about how well they work. When the decision is made, just make it loud and clear where you do end up moving to. A "trial period" would be appreciated.

Tossing my vote in for Espernet as well as a predominatly IRC person. Been there a while, it's stable.

Has Nickserv, nick grouping, and the times I've interacted with the IRCops they've been very pleasant and understanding.

Also they enacted a zero-tolerance policy towards RO Channels basically fighting against each other some time in the distant past and I cannot endorse that kind of shit enough.

I'm down with going to espernet. I really don't like ETG, sometimes I can't connect, or I get netsplit, and then there's the 3 connection limit. Lack of a nickserv is pretty stupid too. I'd rather be on a server that actually lets you register your nick than one that doesn't anyway.

My vote's for Esper.

Tossing my vote in for Espernet as well as a predominatly IRC person. Been there a while, it's stable.

Has Nickserv, nick grouping, and the times I've interacted with the IRCops they've been very pleasant and understanding.

Also they enacted a zero-tolerance policy towards RO Channels basically fighting against each other some time in the distant past and I cannot endorse that kind of shit enough.

I'm down with going to espernet. I really don't like ETG, sometimes I can't connect, or I get netsplit, and then there's the 3 connection limit. Lack of a nickserv is pretty stupid too. I'd rather be on a server that actually lets you register your nick than one that doesn't anyway.

My vote's for Esper.

freenode has these features and much more as I've laid out in my post.

i can vouch for EsperNet being a really good move. i've been there since early 2003 and never had any real qualms about it. it's a relatively small network and the staff are friendly and helpful. the other good thing about it being small is nick availability (certainly a problem I've had with freenode!) services are good; seems to have all that's really necessary to have. netsplits do happen from time to time but that happens on most networks and isn't the end of the world anyway.

there seems to be some more fancy things available on freenode, though none that seem highly practical or essential from what i can ascertain. i'm already idling there for #usf (have been for years.) it's a good network i guess, but nick availability will be an issue for people. (you all may want to connect to freenode and check that your pseudonyms aren't already taken by other people, if it is important to you~)

fuck yeah #mod_shrine, #theshizz and #renoise

i think that's really the best aspect of moving to espernet, as others have spoken about. there's a plethora of semi-to-very active game music-related communities already there ~ #botb, #mod_shrine, #theshizz, #soundtempest, #8bc, #chipmusic, #vgmusic and so on. i feel there is an #ocremix-shaped hole :J it makes a lot of sense.

and yes, i really feel this move should happen. whether it's to esper, to freenode or to somewhere else, it's good to get away from ETG. i'm yet another one of those people who's been banned on more than one occasion - i presume because of having a dynamic IP and ending up with blacklisted addresses (i've flat-out deleted ETG from my autojoin because of not wanting to put up with that BS. it was happening too frequently.)

i think that's really the best aspect of moving to espernet, as others have spoken about. there's a plethora of semi-to-very active game music-related communities already there ~ #botb, #mod_shrine, #theshizz, #soundtempest, #8bc, #chipmusic, #vgmusic and so on. i feel there is an #ocremix-shaped hole :J it makes a lot of sense.

This is how I feel 100%

#ocremix moving off of enterthegame has been a dream of mine for quite a while now. If only so I can ghost myself when I get disconnected.

I find that, for no reason I can pin down, I would slightly prefer freenode to esper, but the technical differences are trivial (I haven't noticed any at all), so if esper.net already has a video game music community on it, it is really the logical choice.

Moving to a server to idle in a couple dead vgm related channels is a pretty trivial reason to choose esper :/

It's a little less about those channels, specifically, and more about the overall theme of the network - freenode seems heavily focused on OSS, whereas Esper seems focused on gaming, anime, etc., which includes some existing VGM channels. I don't think OCR is entirely outside the scope of freenode, based on their own description, but between OSS projects and gaming/fandom communities, it seems like we fall more in the latter than the former.

That's my rationale, since feature/stability-wise they seem comparable. If anyone has a magic bullet that conclusively rules out Esper in favor of freenode, by all means share it, but it seems like while there's an overwhelming preference on moving to one OR the other, there's no strong arguments for one OVER the other...

Well, from a connectivity and technology standpoint, Freenode is more robust.

http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml

Freenode has:

- SSL

- More port options (for people who are stuck behind services that filter 6667)

- More EU servers for those of us not living in the states

- Tor connectivity

- IPv6

According to http://www.esper.net/servers.php Esper has SSL and a few port options but not to the extent freenode has.

Freenode also has a ton of staff online all the time. I've never waited more than a minute for support.