Question on video game music

paco2299

Hi,

I have been reading a few threads on here and you guys seem very educated on video game music.

I wanted to know the standard procedure on selling video game music, maybe someone who has had experience selling video game tracks and would like to share some tips?

Do I contact the video game company itself or through a specialized record label?

Also, if known, whats a general range in which these tracks sell for? Is it common for a company to buy a single track or do they usually purchase a few off an individual artist?

I have been playing video games for a long time and I can appreciate good music during gameplay, I have a friend who started to write music lately. I was listening to one of his tracks that I think has a lot of potential for a racing or combat game.

I'm pretty sure the standard is "develop the entire soundtrack as part of the entire creative process" rather than "purchase a pre-made track and force it into the game." I mean, unless it's a game using popular licensed music, the soundtrack is generally made for the game, to function as part of its feel and atmosphere. You'd have to offer your services as a composer rather than hope someone will buy your non-personalized individual tracks.