OCR02132 - Contra III "Dystopian Future"

djpretzel

Oh God, please send more Contra music our way - the people of OCR do NOT have enough of this amazing soundtrack!

The jazz interpretation is quite impressive. For some reason, I never thought of it in that way, but it works very well for the track. The organ is really in the background, but I guess it would dominate too much if it were brought out too much.

Sweet, sweet arrangement.

If you lived in a completely quantized world where every note landed precisely on the beat, syncopation was banned, groove outlawed, and all musical humanization redacted, this is the type of contraband composition that could start a revolution.

This is the EXACT piece that would make Cleric John Preston cry in "Equilibrium" :-o

It has such depth in performance and harmony. The percussion alone takes me for an unforgettable ride. Very inspirational. Love hearing different time signatures, especially 7/8. Thanks!

I mimic Monobrow in my need for MOAARRR

Been listening to this on repeat.. nice rhythm (and jazzy feel)

Never heard a Contra tune composed this way before (in a long time).

I remember from some of the old Konami albums, there were few.

Maybe a possible jazz-tra comeback? That would be pleasing to the ears.

=D nicely done!

I've always wanted to hear this game remixed, and I can certainly say that this remix hits the mark in a big way. The song itself I always found sort of epic, and the jazz arrangement touches on the epicness. The drums in particular are excellently interpreted to accent the relatively true-to-the-source melody lines.

I like the different tone of the song once the claps punctuate it at around 2:11.

Like many others, I'm not a big fan of the fadeout, but that's far from making me dislike this mix.

Excellent work.

For some reason I missed listening to this track. I also was surprised to find out that this is our first Contra 3 mix.

This is pretty damn good, it's frentic, yet has a definite jazz feel to it as opposed to the more ominous tension feel you get with Contra music in general. The tension is more subtle & fitting for the style.

I was a little disappointed by this, to be honest. I like the drums a lot but there isn't a whole lot going on top of that. The piano is at times feels little exposed (like there isn't anything to help it carry the tension in some parts), more or less goes through the melody of the original a couple of times with some little additions here and there and then that's it. I mostly just felt like this came and went without an overall arrangement arc, and it really feels like it should've been longer. There's some impressive sequencing (or what I assume to be sequencing) and it's a difficult source, sure, but I kinda wanted more :(

This is superlative. It really captures that live jazz band feel perfectly despite being full of sequenced material. The drums are particularly fantastic and perfectly humanized, I wouldn't have batted an eye if someone had told me this was a totally live recording.

A bit repetitiveness on the piano riffs is pretty much the only complaint I can dig up. Really awesome remix! :-D

• 1 year later...

Yeah, this is one of those jazz pieces with energy to them that, unless you are extremely tired, I can't imagine being able to chill out to or fall asleep to. But it does provide an interesting take on the Contra 3 music. Not exactly my cup of tea, but as for the arrangement and production of it all, I can at least enjoy it for what it is. Nice work.

• 2 years later...

Oh yeah! This was one of the first remixes i downloaded from OCR, and i remember that i was pretty impressed. It's the only Contra III remix on the site, and i think i know why, because that soundtrack is pretty complex (that's why i don't remix it lol :tomatoface: ) I really like the energy and the live feel, sounds very authentic, especially the drums.

The only thing that is actually a bit unrealistic (in terms of a live performance) is the piano sequencing, not the way it's "played" but sometimes it sounds like the piano player has three hands ;-) . I think arrangement-wise it stays relatively close to the source, but i know, it's hard to remix a difficult track like this one. Anyways, excellent work!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02132 - Contra III "Dystopian Future"