OCR02131 - Final Fantasy IV "Treason"

djpretzel

What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

I was hearing a lot of extra "noise" in the youtube preview, so I turned on the mp3.. Wow, Youtube really did a number on this one. I hear a big difference between the two -- the song sounded a lot weaker on the preview. Anyway, the MP3 version that came with the album is great. The drums do seem pretty mechanical at times and I'm not really digging that snare, but as a whole, it's pretty good. Not the most ideal guitar tone, but it's not bad. The bass guitar is also inaudible but I heard that bass audibleness is optional in extruum metal. :o

Awesome, my custom gets an official plug (and I knew keeping videos of old versions of customs would come back to bite me someday). :) The poor audio quality on Youtube is partly my fault (I compressed the hell out of it accidentally using the wrong settings, haha) and part Youtube's general dickishness about audio.

KC did an awesome job on this track and he's pretty cool people overall. Good stuff!

Wow, haha! This track is GOING somewhere! The snare, as has been said before, is definitely a bit off-sounding, but this ReMix has a very nice "urgent" feel to it - a little atmospheric thing, but it's very nice. Delicious track, and a joy to hear! Great work, KC! Really digging this!

Can't say I'm too much of a fan of this genre, but I can certainly see a lot of merit in this track. The lead guitar work is pretty great and captures a pretty intense mood. As Brandon pointed out, the mechanical drums seem like a bit of a weak point.

Overall, this is a pretty crunchy, distorted, vicious track that does a pretty good job with the genre it tackled, even if it's not necessarily my cup of tea, I can see why a lot of people like this one.

• 9 months later...

Well, this has given me my prescripted amount of complex riffage for the day, thank you. I believe the lead and backing could have been a lot richer, but I'm really loving the thematic approach nevertheless. It's a bit of a slow-burner in terms of metal mixes, but eventually the tempo, the structure and the arrangement align and I get a much clearer idea of where this mix is coming from. At the beginning, I am merely an admirer of the craft, but by the end I'm a total fan of the mix. It may be a hard sell to some, and it's a mix I would greatly prefer to listen to with proper headphones, but there's a lot to love tucked within the chaos if you award it a little patience.

• 2 months later...

Well I'm listening with proper headphones right now, and I'll see if I can let loose my anger on something quite brutal. I admit he's come a long way since some of his more overdrawn submissions to the Dwelling of Duels years back.

It starts first of all with this very brutal adaptation of Epilogue 3 before seiguing quite well into Battle with the Four Fiends, then into Castle Damcyan and back to Epilogue 3; the way of handling the sources and the transitions was absolutely no problem, as is the sheer amount of skill brought in, most notably with the heavy 16th note strumming from the 2 minute mark onwards - a heavily insane transition into the Castle Damcyan section for sure. It may be a very straightforward way of adapting the sources, but it's got this brutal way of fitting into the scope of the story's progression in order to capture its relevance.

Here's one criticism I have here; while the writing does indeed manage to face this angry and "traitor-ish" approach given towards it, some clarity could've been done towards the drum pieces to get them to stand out significantly more, as for me it seemed as if the rhythm guitars ended up clashing a bit too much with the cymbals in terms of equalisation for some reason, making it not as sharp as I would've wanted it to be.

That said, this is some really TIGHT guitar playing here, and to see the sources intertwined in such a way that might make Children of Bodom more like the White Stripes (!!), it's a clear sign showing that Kidd Cabbage has really been pushing himself to become a well identifiable face in regards to the remix community. Here's to hoping he'd surface again in another site project after his recent BadAss contribution too :)

• 8 months later...

This ReMix is certainly aggressive as all hell and it just screams brutal things. The playing and the rage coming off of it was certainly one of the best parts of this song, and the Castle Damcyan part was the one I thought was pulled off the best. The transistions were pretty good, and the one little nitpick I the drums sounded off or something during the Fiends theme. Not sure if it was me, the headphones I'm using or the actual song, but that part didn't gel with me. Other than that, pretty good ReMix.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02131 - Final Fantasy IV "Treason"