OCR02133 - Tecmo Bowl "Touchdown Hoedown"

djpretzel

Vurez... he's the man. He's fooled me with his sequencing prowess many a time. I can't say this is one of my favorites, but that could be due to me living in KY and being overexposed to folk, country, bluegrass whatever music my whole life. Regardless, you gotta recognize his versatility and production. And if this one ruffled your feathers, just wait til you hear his Tetris (Korobeiniki) mix. Damn son!

If had to critique, I'd say the bass is a bit inarticulate. I'd also say that the bass isn't too prominent in this style of music anyway with it's up/down melody and rhythm. And the percussion sounded a bit too MIDI'ish, especially the snare, but the arrangement of them was excellent.

I feel like somebody should play this at a hoedown to see if anybody notices. Though it couldn't be any old rural hoedown, cause out in rural Minnesota/Dakotas they don't play it quite like this. And yes, if this was played when the Redskins won or scored touchdowns it wouldn't be played very often, maybe if it was whenever the Titans scored?

That aside, I think it's cool that Vurez adapted the song to this form. It definitely has a great dance vibe and cool instrumentation (I wish it had more harmonica). It is now trapped behind a genre that I find difficult to tolerate for more than an evening a month at most. VERY effective use of the tools at hand though, as the banjo/violin combo goes quite underrepresented these days. Also clapping (or whatever tool was used to emulate clapping).

• 2 weeks later...

In one camp at OCR, you have you're serious power ballads, sweeping orchestral arrangements, or emotional solo arrangements. In the other camp, you have things like these; the stuff which you just have to listen to and laugh, stuff you can't really take seriously.

This is just plain fun, hilarity, and stuff the world needs more of. Stuff that just reminds you to not take yourself too seriously. This should definitely belong in everyone's playlist.

just wait til you hear his Tetris (Korobeiniki) mix.

:lmassoff: Heck yes, I can't wait for that, especially if it's like this one.

O Remix, Where Are Thou?

Considering the source and the fact it has 'Hoedown' in the title, this wasn't something I planned to really give a listen, despite being a fan of Vurez. I'm a terrible person, I know. But I heard it, I believe on Kyle's show, which has prompted me to come back and give it a proper listen.

I like that it's a fun remix, and it reminds me that Vurez is just pure talent. I've heard him make many remixes in a rather large variety of styles and no matter what style he chooses it sounds authentic to me, this mix included.

It's not something I'm going to listen to a lot, admittedly, not for a lack of quality or anything of the like, but the genre just isn't my thing. I'd still recommend people give it a chance, because like 42 said, it's a really fun mix and the world needs more fun.

This one really grew on me. The acoustic bluegrass sound is really hard to achieve with samples, but you did a great job. For the most part, the different instruments play off each other very well. The fiddle sample is not terrific, but you really made it sing with the slides and doubling. The mandolin sounds too much like a Greek bouzouki, but that's a hard one to duplicate. And I'm jealous of your banjo sound, I couldn't find a very good one. :-)

Nice work! We're getting a little closer to some "serious folk" music on OCR, hillbilly jokes notwithstanding. :-D

As a European, I pretty much never get to hear music like this, so it is a very welcome change of pace for me. I can listen to it over and over again, simply because I'm hardly ever exposed to something like it and thus can't grow tired of this genre.

The remix in hand is an all-around fun piece of music. Perfect for when you feel the need to be cheered up.

• 1 year later...

Hehe, this brings back good memories of both the game and DJP's old track. Good ol' country boy track that just puts a smile on my face, especially the clapping parts. Damn, it's things like this that make me want to go yee-haw! Super fun, sounds great and is just a thrill to listen to. Awesome.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02133 - Tecmo Bowl "Touchdown Hoedown"