Streets Of Rage-Title; Starlight Embracing City Streets

Garpocalypse

Updated 8-01-12

Anyone remember this one? When i realized that what i was working on for DoD this month wasn't going to be ready for the deadline i decided to fix this one up.

Cleaned up the mix and rerecorded a few parts. Backed the flute with a better flute while keeping the distortion on it. Something i like. :)

Is this ready for another pass at the judges?

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/garpocalypse/sor-starlight-embracing-city

Source:

Alright I hate seeing a post with 0 replies so here we go. (Consider getting a tindeck or soundcloud account btw - if it's more than 1 click to listen to something people get put off)

Well, you know the drums are an issue, but I'll still bang on about them anyway. When I'm making a remix, the drums are the part that take the longest. They can be a pain in the arse to sequence, but the end result is easily worth it, also they're easier to change if you don't like how a certain bar sounds. You have full control of panning and velocity for every single hit, so it's really worth spending the time on. Also you can EQ and compress each sample individually so your kick doesn't muddy the rest of them up and your snares can pack a punch. Your loops aren't too bad, but it really smacks of laziness to not even have a fill anywhere when even the source track has some small snare fills! Note the source track really drives it along with a nice groove - you definitely need more layers and imagination on the percussion side.

Your bass drop at 1:23 is pretty cool, but I was expecting some more from it after that, and some kind of bass during the breakdown section - there's a tiny bit, but you should really expand on the bassline to give it added "sexiness". Also pump up the low frequencies of the bass and knock off the low frequencies of everything else (except the bass drum - hard if you use a loop) so they don't interfere.

The synths and stuff I think sound alright - suitably retro and very ambient for this style. Nice delay and reverb and you've mixed them up quite a bit. I think just spend as much time as you've spent on this mix already focusing on the drums (seriously), and you'll be surprised at the results.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The drums

I don't know if you were going for cheesy 80's sound or not. But you need to do something about them.

This sounds like its heading for an ambient sound. If it is, from my understanding, there is usually a build up or steady changes in the songs 'textures'

I'd suggest having the guitar throughout. And not in that hardcore metal type sound. But layer it throughout the track some more, maybe have it build up slightly without losing the smoothness you're aiming for.

I appreciate the comment. I am working on changing a couple of things before I stick the finished tag on this one. Mostly the Drums and the Bass.

The distorted guitar gives it the edge or "sexiness" that I am trying to develop so if anything i'd like to keep that going.

I hope to have an update ready in a little bit.

-Gar

Hey, really nice improvement over the first version! I'm really getting a strong 80s vibe from this, specifically a Jan Hammer type feel. In fact, I'd suggest listening to that song and the way it introduces, builds and layers the pads and guitar. I think if you use it as a benchmark for production you'll have a seriously cool remix on your hands.

• 4 weeks later...
I like it. Feels very night time, light-lit street, if you know what I mean. Do I hear tank police cat characters in there? :P

I think I made the ripoff too obvious :) sorry, homage.

That was exactly the feel I was going for. Not so much in a bar or club type of setting but just walking down a street looking at all the stuff thats going on.

Are there any spots that would keep this from passing (if it has the potential to pass)? If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am submitting this for MOD review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hikFCwduCIQ&feature=related Source

A few changes:

Tried to layer a few instruments to help bring out the sound a bit

Fixed a few drum fills

Some other things too small to remember

Also I toyed around with compressing the master. I originally wanted the remix uncompressed except for the guitar but the only way I feel I could bring the volume up to the OCR usual was by squashing it down a little.

Looking forward to seeing some comments.

-gar

Cool atmosphere. Liking the pads and piano especially. On the arrangement, I can't listen to the source here (I know I always say that). But I'll definitely try to catch it later.

Drums & bass really stuck out to me as very basic/simplistic. I understand you're going for the 80's sound, which is cool. But bass doesn't have a lot of presence to it, so it's kind've just low background noise, which also gets a tad repetative.

Drums spend a majority of the track on autopilot on the rhythm. Need to vary that up a bit. I'm not a huge fan of 80's drum machine type beats myself, but I think I'll let another Mod more experienced with this type of kit speak here.

Lead guitar felt tiny compared to the lush pads and backing elements. I'm a little iffy on it's viability here for the lead part, but at least bring it forward.

Track is pretty soft on the volume level. I saw that you're trying to avoid compression here. Is there any specific reason for that? Are you worried about losing the dynamics of the song?

Personally, I'd like to hear some more variation on this track. You've got a couple breakdowns here and there, but in general we're hearing the same textures and feel throughout. I think there's potential to bring some more life and interest to the track here.

Hope this didn't sound too negative, but I always focus on stuff that I feel needs work in my crits. Good luck to you.

The 80's sound is a bit unintentional but I guess that's what comes out when you are referencing some things from the late 80's to early 90's.

I was hoping to avoid using compression on the master mostly out of inexperience. Also, it seems that on these forums you can't even mention compression without setting off a powder keg with some of the OCR regulars. Something I was hoping to avoid, but there, I probably just set them off again. :)

Thanks for the review.

• 8 months later...

Wow, February was when I last posted this remix. Since then it has gone under numerous remixes/arrangements and well, I pretty much destroyed the piece and gave up on it.

I went back to an older project file and tried to fix some of the crits against it. Most notably the drums are far better than I had them almost a year ago and I centered the mix around the bass and drums this time.

This will probably be my last post before submitting to the judges unless of course there is something glaring. Like a MOD screaming DON'T SUBMIT THIS!!!

Dimension Pro

Ministry of Rock

Some stuff from Kontakt 7 Elements

Source:

wow! sounds so nice! But I think it will have a bit of a difficulty getting through the panel; the bass has to carry a much heavier burden in tracks like these. So you might want to write your bass line varied throughout the track, occasionally jumping between octaves and some cool slides at the right time will help as well.

Since it has 80s feel to it (that's what you're going for :)), why don't you add synth arpeggios (one of the trademark things in 80's music) as another layer? I think it will greatly help in getting rid of that simple/empty feeling to it.

In any case, best of luck dude! The track sounds great as is :)

I think that you have too much reverb going on in this track. Like DjMystix, I also think that your bassline can be more imaginative. As for the bass guitar sample itself - I think it can be processed a little more, since right now, because of the simple pattern and a very vanilla sample, your bassline sounds a bit lo-fi. Another gripe (more of a personal preference, actually) that I have is the intro - it is pretty much identical to the original. Sure, it pays homage to the source, but doesn't do it in an especially creative way.

Still, I like your arrangement ideas overall. I think the track is almost there, you just need to fine tune the reverb and work on that bassline.

Hey thanks for the comments so far. At least I'm not hearing anything more about the drums so i guess it's off to a better start. :-)

I want to know why everyone thinks this is an 80's inspired piece! It wasn't a specific goal of mine to get an 80's sound when I started it and other than the repetitive machine drumming that I had in my earlier posts that some people said were 80's like, I don't know what else is really 80's about it.

About the reverb, my favorite part of this remix is the Flute that's part of Zero G's Phaedra. The problem with it is I can't adjust the reverb that's on it at all so I tried to blend a bit by adding more reverb to the instruments around it. Though I may have over done it.

I've been working on getting some of the things I need to record myself playing bass. Given how tricky recording bass can be I thought a VST bass would have been the better way to go but a little spicier, human playing would inject some life into this for sure.

Going to bump this down to finished until I get the new parts recorded.

Well this was a busted week. My goal was to record myself for this post so I picked up about everything I was told I'd need from various sources. Several hours and a solid chunk of my credit card later, I still didn't sound record worthy. I heard recording bass was going to be tricky but I didn't expect it to be this bad!

Also, I toned down the reverb throughout the mix but especially on the piano.

Next week should be betterfor me. Sonic Generations will be out!

-gar

The guitar gives it a great edge too! Feels kinda like 80s or 90s action film music!

Alright! Someone likes the guitar AND i'm getting out of the 80's comments...kinda.

I was just listening to it on tindeck and i'm hearing some distortion towards the end when the flute is playing. It might just be me but that worries me since the original mp3 i made doesn't do that on these same (garbage)speakers. Anyone else notice?

First impression was amazing! But after 1:20 I realized that I'm not listening anymore.. So I had to force myself to listen several times. It is a personal stuff. Not mean that arrangement is bad.

Actually I dunno what to say. Sounds cool and it may pass.

Still I say, bass guitar for some reason sounds fake(so as guitar) to my ears, maybe too clean sound cause this impression. Dunno. Bass too wide panned imo, kill the Chorus(if you use it) and try to boost lows a bit around 90-125Hz. But after that you have to check drums section for harmony.

2:12-3:01 section supposed to move guitar in front of the mix(imo), but nothing happened, which cause interest's lost, i suppose. Same stuff for piano at 3:02-3:20..

Also can't say that I'm a fan of drums like that. Delayed Snare could work better then clap, i think.

Don't take my words to close to heart. Just a personal impression. I think this remix may pass. Now wait for Mods.

sorry for my english, if i said something weird.

Good Luck Dude!

p.s. Ima SOR fan btw)