"99 Floors Underground" (Buried Relic Remix, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon)

TGH

Reduce the High Gain Eq, its a good track :) but the High's make this track seem like a flute audible to decibels of a dog whistles

Thanks, man, I appreciate the feedback :)

I agree; this morning I was blasting it in my car, and the high tones were hurting my ears as well. I can't really hear this through the headphones I use tho. I'm sorry for the ear-bleeding :neutral:

So I lowered the highs and basted the boos. . . I mean boosted the bass.

http://tindeck.com/listen/pkhh Updated version

I'd like to change this thread to mod-review, if only I knew how. .

EDIT: I figured it out. I'm such a genius X)

Thanks again!

Thanks, man, I appreciate the feedback :)

I agree; this morning I was blasting it in my car, and the high tones were hurting my ears as well. I can't really hear this through the headphones I use tho. I'm sorry for the ear-bleeding :neutral:

So I lowered the highs and basted the boos. . . I mean boosted the bass.

http://tindeck.com/listen/pkhh Updated version

I'd like to change this thread to mod-review, if only I knew how. .

EDIT: I figured it out. I'm such a genius X)

Thanks again!

OH YAh! DL'd , Btw sub this

This is really quite cool, and frankly I think both of these games really deserve more attention than they get.

I like the idea, but it seems a bit hollow somehow, like there is some sort of unknown missing element. The way the industrial drums hang off at the end lead me to believe there was going to be more, but there was not.

I dunno, there seems to be something missing in some of your samples. Some of your notation seems to be a tad off as well, I'm not sure whether that was intentional due to the nature of the piece, as it is a remix or whether it's because of rendering/track programming error. I do think that this piece could be a lot more than it is.

Snow, I appreciate your feedback and the criticism.

I like the idea, but it seems a bit hollow somehow, like there is some sort of unknown missing element. The way the industrial drums hang off at the end lead me to believe there was going to be more, but there was not.

I dunno, there seems to be something missing in some of your samples. Some of your notation seems to be a tad off as well, I'm not sure whether that was intentional due to the nature of the piece, as it is a remix or whether it's because of rendering/track programming error. I do think that this piece could be a lot more than it is.

What I wanted with this piece was for it to be very simple with a metallic feel to it. When you say some things are "missing," What exactly do you mean?

Do you think that fading out with the drum track at the end would erase belief that there's more to the song? Because I think adding more after the end would just be extraneous and repetitive.

What's "missing" from the samples? Fullness? Presence? Or something like that? I'm afraid there's really nothing I can do about them, since these are the best free samples I can find anywhere.

Can you elaborate on where exactly you heard "off notations?" I'm not really sure what you mean here.

Thanks again for the feedback,

-TGH

It lacks presence, feeling. It just seems empty to me.

As to off notations, go listen to 0:30 to 0:58 of the original sample track here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_yTNr8cyU&playnext=1&list=PL813A14F7A05884BA&index=9

As you'll notice, your version, which includes most of this progression, severely deviates at the end, or so it sounds to me. The change in notation from the original doesn't, in my opinion, work as well with the surrounding piece of music. But of course, that's just me.

It lacks presence, feeling. It just seems empty to me.

As to off notations, go listen to 0:30 to 0:58 of the original sample track here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_yTNr8cyU&playnext=1&list=PL813A14F7A05884BA&index=9

As you'll notice, your version, which includes most of this progression, severely deviates at the end, or so it sounds to me. The change in notation from the original doesn't, in my opinion, work as well with the surrounding piece of music. But of course, that's just me.

Ooohhh, I understand why.

It's because of the key change from the original. I changed it from a major to a minor key and because of this, I changed some notation so that it fit into the minor scale.

And I realize that last measure before the drum break sounds very different as well. That last chord (B flat dom7) was inputted accidentally at first, actually, but I like the way it sounded since it gave kind of a calm transition into the break.

As to why I changed it to minor as opposed to keeping it in major. . . . .

Idk. That's why. :evil:

Lol, I guess I have a unique taste in music, and thus a unique style of remixing. And that therefore gives me the ability to make the most horrible of abominations and pass them off as remixes. Artistic license ftw :mrgreen:

But in all seriousness, thanks a ton for all the feedback, Snow :)))

Ooohhh, I understand why.

It's because of the key change from the original. I changed it from a major to a minor key and because of this, I changed some notation so that it fit into the minor scale.

And I realize that last measure before the drum break sounds very different as well. That last chord (B flat dom7) was inputted accidentally at first, actually, but I like the way it sounded since it gave kind of a calm transition into the break.

As to why I changed it to minor as opposed to keeping it in major. . . . .

Idk. That's why. :evil:

Lol, I guess I have a unique taste in music, and thus a unique style of remixing. And that therefore gives me the ability to make the most horrible of abominations and pass them off as remixes. Artistic license ftw :mrgreen:

But in all seriousness, thanks a ton for all the feedback, Snow :)))

Ah, that definitely explains it then.

I enjoy being helpful in anyway I can, you are very welcome.

I have to agree with snow's notion earlier that it's 'missing' something. it's hard to put my finger on, the mix just feels kinda held back or reserved. compositionally, it's pretty good (arrangement seems to be a strong suit of yours from what i've noticed :)), and there are some good sound choices and textures -chiptunes ftw- but it does feel reserved. not sure what else to say about this really.. an enjoyable track nonetheless, but i think the judges are gonna ask for 'more' and i'm not quite sure what of..

anyway, hope this helps. nice work :nicework:

both halc and Snow are right- there is something missing.

:???:

but I can't seem to find it.

I have to disagree with snow - I like the Major/minor switch.

...!

What if you were to boost the bass at the end, starting with the break. also, make the sound... broader somehow?

Maybe it will work.

that's my 10¢.

Some additional crits:

Drums are basically on autopilot for the first 2/3 of the song. They really couse use some switching up. I also wasn't thrilled with the drum samples - they feel a little on the thin side and the shakers are getting grating on the high EQ spectrum. Kick could use some more oomph as well as it doesn't have a lot lot of low-mid presence.

By the time :44 comes in, there's a lot of stuff occupying the same frequency range (I'm thinking Mids to Highmids). Also, one of the arpeggio type synths has a LOT of high end, which is fatiguing.

In general, could use some more low/lowmid presence. Mixing wise, the bass could come up more and some of the various synths could come down to make room for each other. It feels like there's a lot concentrated in highmids and not a whole lot in low-mid range.

Lots of high end on that transition synth at :40, 1:40 and 2:40. Consider rolling off the high eq so it doesn't pierce so much.

1:44 - 2:13 didn't do much for me. There's just not much going on. I think here and in other sections it feels like some elements are missing (as mentioned before). Like more hooks, interesting rhythms, fills, and changeups.

I think it would help to switch up some of the synths to give a wider textural palette here as a lot of the synths used are similar and kind've just sound like noise when they're all playing together.

Hope this doesn't sound like too much of a downer, but I feel like there's more potential here.

I have to agree with snow's notion earlier that it's 'missing' something. it's hard to put my finger on, the mix just feels kinda held back or reserved.

I'm no expert, but I feel like what's missing here is some kind of driving melody. Because the main theme of the original is very repetitive, it doesn't stand out much, so I think adding some kind of synth solo would make a big difference.

Just my opinion. I really like what you did, though! :)

• 7 months later...
Hey TGH, where have you been? :)

I don't know how much you've tweaked this since last version, but damn this sounds good! I haven't found anything to complain about yet :< . I always love your chippy touch on your remixes :-D Oh and man I LOVE that solo at the end!

This is amazing :) Oh and BTW: http://youtu.be/q4royOLtvmQ

I've been participating in the Grand Robot Master Remix Battle, I made it to the semi-finals :D

As to the amount I've tweaked it....I completely re-did it :<

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad I was able to re-do this since I was terrible back in the day when I first made this :P

HAHAHA Christopher Walken :razz:

Plz do update your OP with the latest link of the mix. It makes it easier to find and MUCH easier to figure out. :D

If you've got bass here, its focused entirely in the subbass area which is making it a little difficult to hear properly on my headphones. Not saying its bad but the mix sounds thin on anything but my car stereo in that case. Try adding some mid-eq tweaking to your bass (or copy the bass sequence and add a second bass sound that is narrowed into something like 200-ish hrz (lets see how that sounds.

This sounds pretty damn sweet otherwise. I need to spend more time with source tune before I can comment on the arrangement. Would love a source breakdown ;)