Red Alert: Gov't takedown of websites.

Hyperion5182

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-seizes-bittorrent-search-engine-domain-and-more-101126/

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/130763-homeland-security-dept-seizes-domain-names-

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/27/feds-seizes-websites-suspected-online-piracy/

This is looking more and more like a nightmare. Could OCR end up in this position?

No i do not support piracy in any form. But blanket shutdowns do nothing but hurt the people trying to pay tribute and i can see this being a target....

I don't think this is the first time a takedown of websites has happened, but this is something I'd keep a cautious eye on of course.

OCR isn't a site considered in the same vein as those that gotten taken down. We don't host commercially sold content. We're a pretty open fansite with much positive media attention that has even been mentioned in industry events in such a light. I don't think comparing us with those sites is even close.

I don't think this is the first time a takedown of websites has happened, but this is something I'd keep a cautious eye on of course.

OCR isn't a site considered in the same vein as those that gotten taken down. We don't host commercially sold content. We're a pretty open fansite with much positive media attention that has even been mentioned in industry events in such a light. I don't think comparing us with those sites is even close.

*sighs in relief* You have no idea how happy i am to read that bud. Shit like this frightens me and makes me all the happier of the choice i made earlier this month. It needs to stop before it jumps the rails. The last thing i want is this website being shut down.

*sighs in relief* You have no idea how happy i am to read that bud. Shit like this frightens me and makes me all the happier of the choice i made earlier this month. It needs to stop before it jumps the rails. The last thing i want is this website being shut down.

Plus if anything goes wrong DJP could send the data of the website overseas and just host OCR not in the U.S.

Unless this means U.S. suddenly has the power to take down stuff not in its own country. I wouldn't see how that would work, doesn't a website being in a country make it subject to the laws and government of THAT country and no other?

Yet in theory, a company could pitch a fit about its IP being used without their consent in some oddball way, and demand that all remixes of its music be taken down. After all, Square-Enix has made a C&D name for itself going after free works that are based off of their IPs, as have other companies (Blizzard, Nintendo I believe, etc.). So while OCR might not get shut down, there is a chance (albeit a slim one) that some of its content could be gone if a company pitched a big enough hissy fit with its lawyers.

Yet in theory, a company could pitch a fit about its IP being used without their consent in some oddball way, and demand that all remixes of its music be taken down. After all, Square-Enix has made a C&D name for itself going after free works that are based off of their IPs, as have other companies (Blizzard, Nintendo I believe, etc.). So while OCR might not get shut down, there is a chance (albeit a slim one) that some of its content could be gone if a company pitched a big enough hissy fit with its lawyers.

A valid point. That being said, one thing sites like OCR et al have on our side is that if such a thing did go down, they'd be opening a pretty good size can o' worms because then they'd have to go after sites like deviantart and a million and a half others that host some sort of content that is derivative from copyrighted works/themes/characters/plots/scenarios/poop/etc and I see that turning into one of those "all or none" type deals, in which case the former is all but impossible to regulate, so it's realistically not worth the time or effort of any company.

But back to the issue at hand, OCR stands so far away from the OP's issue IMO we have absolutely nothing to worry about regarding this particular incident.

illegal copying =/= piracy

I'm guessing the only charges that will stick pertain to domain names that actively generate profit from stolen and/or counterfeit property (actual piracy)

I just don't see the case against torrent-finder holding up, but I'm no lawyer

feel free to flame me if I'm completely wrong

In Canada, torrents download... to your harddrive. If you were expecting some shitty "In Russia..." joke, you obviously didn't read the first two words in the first sentence.

We don't do that sort of thing here. Private business can't really lobby here, due to the way the federal government is set up. Even if they did, what do they really expect to happen? "Oooh, do as we say, or else!" doesn't cut it with us.

Yes, come to Canada. We have bacon for breakfast every other morning. The other mornings? Whatever you want, even if it's just more bacon. We also have free legal music downloads thanks to a small levy on harddrives. It lets us download whatever music we want for free, so iTunes is completely unnecessary.

Plus, we get all those US TV shows and movies, so it's really only like moving to the other side of town. And there's always that healthcare thing you hear about!

A valid point. That being said, one thing sites like OCR et al have on our side is that if such a thing did go down, they'd be opening a pretty good size can o' worms because then they'd have to go after sites like deviantart and a million and a half others that host some sort of content that is derivative from copyrighted works/themes/characters/plots/scenarios/poop/etc and I see that turning into one of those "all or none" type deals, in which case the former is all but impossible to regulate, so it's realistically not worth the time or effort of any company.

But back to the issue at hand, OCR stands so far away from the OP's issue IMO we have absolutely nothing to worry about regarding this particular incident.

Not only that - it's just negative attention for just about no real monetary gain. There are a few instances of these companies out there going after people like Square and Chrono Resurrection, but Square has legitimate interests in porting older games to newer media as it makes a large part of their revenue I'd wager.

obama's administration is just as responsible as bush's, if not more

The White House's vision is perhaps a prelude to the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which will go before Congress later this year. The bill would make P2P or BitTorrent client development a criminal offense if the distributed software was used for infringement. It also implements an interesting provision called "imminent infringement", which allows the government to charge people who they think might be about to infringe with a civil offense

lol thought-crime

get the sick sticks

Canadian bacon is not real bacon! Go to hell!

"Canadian bacon" is a American term for ham slices. Most Americans would know this better as peameal bacon. In Canada, we call it ham.

Bacon is just bacon. Not American ham, not Canadian ham, not even something silly like English Porridge burger. Just bacon.

Why you Yanks had to go and make up a silly term... it's like you wanted to confuse everyone.