OCR02271 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time 'Temporal Despair' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

I'm sorry to hear that you can't access the original anymore, I was hoping this one would come back to be a pass. I love the PMD music, and was hoping there would be a mix on the site sooner rather than later.

The bass drum is an improvement, but I can't say that it's enough here to sway my vote with the other issues that are still present.

Sorry. NO

Tough call, and you are melting my heart of ice with your sad story. ;_;

I will be strong and unbiased though! There is a definite imrpvement immediately with the kick, and though the snare doesn't pack a massive punch, it's fitting a lot better into the soundscape. The arrangement itself was always strong, and with a better foundation, it's a lot more listenable. I do think it still has a bit of mechanical sequencing, but really, that's all that is bugging me after the revisions.

It's definitely close for me, but I think it just passes now, sad story or no. :P

Yes (Borderline)

Always a heartbreaker to lose a project file. This isn't in a passable state to me, unfortunately. Even the new kick drum doesn't sound that well integrated, it sounds pasted on top, which it is. :razz: As I mentioned last time, the piano is also pretty static. Sorry man, but hopefully you'll whip up something new for us. Or maybe sometime in the future when you're up to it, you'll come back to this one.

NO

Unfortunately the disparity between the percussion elements and the rest of the mix is really noticeable. I think the whole mix is being a bit overpowered by your kick drum.

Otherwise I think it's a really cool mix. Some nice ideas, like the woodblock percussion, organ, and the flute.

The more I listen to this, the more I'm okay with the percussion though. It's a nice little piece. Great vibraphone too.

YES

• 4 months later...

Stylish take on the theme, I like it. The percussion balance as mentioned is pretty odd, with much of it not really fitting in with the rest of the track. The flute and piano sequencing are pretty mechanical too.

Your story's frustrating, and this one's really close, but it's just not all the way there. Sorry. :-(

NO

I'm sorry but I have to join the NO-camp here. This track has some issues. The piano is super stiff, there are some clashing notes with the chords (think it's a major and minor sixth clashing? something like that) and the percussion is not very well integrated in the piece.

The arrangement itself is still quite good and I think you have an ear for arranging but the mixing and instrument qualities just bring this down enough that I can't comfortably pass it. Keep working on music though, you've got talent!

NO

Resub

Remixer Name: TheGuitahHeroe

Game: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky (whichever is easiest)

Song arranged: "Temporal Tower" (source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6yNpgjfP8)

Remix title: "Temporal Despair" / Link: http://www.box.net/shared/6q59ksifqm

Alright so this is actually a resub of a remix I submitted some time ago. . . as I type this email it's actually still in the submissions queue, hahaha, however I know it's chances of passing are pretty much zip. So yeah, here's a resub :D

I had pretty much forgotten about this remix until by chance I found the midi for it that I had saved. . . inspiration hit hard. My style has evolved since the first (two) version(s) of this remix, and it was fun to compare the two remixes after they were finished to see just how much it has changed.

So here it is, another product of my toils, another unclassifiable remix as far as genre is concerned (dance, chiptune, ambient, downtempo. . . . ?!?!?!). . . however I hope it is at least enjoyable for you guys :D

Special thanks to Level 99 and Willrock at the Workshop Board for all their help (and influence) with this track. Also thanks to other influences like Rozovian, zircon, and halc from OCR, and also Deadmau5 (of course).

P.S. I had never even heard "Running Up That Hill" until you pointed out the similarity, Palp. . . it's actually kinda freaky, the first few seconds sound REALLY similar. . . hahaha

Holy crap that kick is great. Worthy of Daft Punk. Wait...you people are complaining about the kick? Really? The kick is freaking awesome. So if I submitted "Around the World" you guys would be like "uh the kick is like, overpowering." Seriously?

And the snare is fine. Could maybe be brighter, but it contrasts nicely with the claps. I'd say this is mixed really well for the genre. It seems to me like you guys are looking for stuff to complain about. The piano is mechanical? This isn't Beethoven; it's electro-dance-whatever. The piano sounds good, and mechanical works. He used a major sixth? Yeah. It's called the dorian mode. There's nothing in the harmony that would make it sound out of place. The major sixth can be and is substituted all the time in just about every genre even in cases when the aeolian is implied by the harmony.

You no votes are really missing the forest for the trees on this one.

YES