Playlist Editor or Pattern Editor?

ncocs

It's totally possible to do either, however you'll get the most out of FL Studio if you use both in conjunction with eachother. Especially with the new playlist view it will be much easier to work with if you make use of the best of both features. Get to know the program and get comfortable with all aspects of it and you'll be more productive.

See that's the thing--I was using the pattern editor because I had no idea how to use the playlist. (I don't know how to use the mixer, either.) So I've been trying to avoid it, but sometimes it's just hard not to use it. And I'm pretty comfortable with the program (I've had it for a year), it's just that I'm only playing around with it at this point, as I barely know how to use any of the vst's/synths/etc. included with it.

Would you like to tutor me/direct me to some good tutorials on each?

I have gotten stuck with using only patterns. It might be a bad thing, but I'm so used to it now. I do have cubase too, but I like doing patterns/parts. The playlist just isn't my thing in FL, I do like the cubase "playlist" but I prefer the MIDI input/editing and mixing of FL. If there are som good tutorials for the playlist in FL I wouldn't mind watching them.

I found a tutorial that covered the basics of FL, and it explained the playlist in a way that made me wish I had been using it. Just google "FL studio from beginner to expert." The first one talks about everything, the second talks about drumloops, but also heavily involves the playlist.

learn both; try both; use either.

i use playlist clips now but honestly I found just sticking to patterns more intuitive (and I could color them in neat gradients! xD). I used my patterns for automation too, so there was really no need for the playlist until I started doing one-shot samples as audio clips in the playlist. But I think FL has been pushing playlist clips and I found that they work just fine too so I mostly use those now. *shrug*

Honestly I think either is fine. Unless maybe there's some new stuff in beta that I don't knwo about xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would have to vote for the playlist, simply because that's what I use primarily. However, I don't see how one could use the playlist without having multiple patterns. I used FL for maybe a month before I even knew patterns existed, and when I discovered them, it changed everything. Having the entire song in one pattern limits you so severely, I don't understand how one could get anything done that way.

Not only that, but it becomes quite a chore to create melody variations and other such copy-paste operations. Not to mention that swapping out instruments and selectively playing different parts of a song would be an absolute nightmare with only one pattern. At least, it would be for me and the way I use FL.

They're taking out patterns in the next version, so you should be prepared for the workflow change.

Whoa! WHAT?? They're taking out patterns? I'm not sure I can handle that...that just ain't gonna fly in my book. I hope they're replacing them with a similar but easier to use feature?

I'm kinda confused on how their clips section works. When I see their clip window then I go back to somethin like Reason, it doesn't make sense to me because the tracks in FL are just tracks. they're not specifically assigned to a channel device so you can create a melody from an instrument, put it in track one, then create another melody of the same instrument and put it right below track two.

That's what confuses me because then that way things can get really disorganized. I think they're clip editor should be built like how the rest are, when you create a channel like Sawer, then a track is created so you can place automation, or notes into a clip and edit them accordingly. Hopefully that made sense lol xD.

Having the entire song in one pattern

What DAW are you using? :< It can't be FL Studio, because FL Studio's entire system is pattern based.

Ur probly just doin it wrong. I've never heard of doing the entire song in one pattern. That takes away the point of patterns in the first place.

You also misunderstand the workflow; FL Studio is the easiest DAW for creating variations and copypasta. Don't make your song in one pattern, make each part go in a separate one. I don't mean one pattern per instrument either, I mean one for every section of your song and every instrument. Or, if it just repeats for 4 bars (or something), make it one bar long and paint it over 4. Hit the top left button of one of them and hit make unique. Voila, that specific clip is now its own pattern which will not affect the original others, only the clips that get stuff from that pattern. You can change it whereas the other 3 remain the same and linked to each other. You can do this on the two others, too, to just make four different patterns plain and simple. It's not as fast as cloning in the pattern blocks viewer, but it allows for more flexibility.

If you did it right with lots of variations your song should end up over 50 patterns. ;)

I think clips is just a better system in general. It takes elements from ye olde pattern blocks and the traditional DAW playlist and makes a unique system that is unmatchable in flexibility and unlimitability (is that a word?) if the time was taken to learn it.

That's what confuses me because then that way things can get really disorganized. I think they're clip editor should be built like how the rest are, when you create a channel like Sawer, then a track is created so you can place automation, or notes into a clip and edit them accordingly. Hopefully that made sense lol xD.

The whole idea of FL Studio is that you can organize your stuff however you want. Can't organize yourself? Don't use FL Studio.

Don't ask for it to be exactly like the others, or you will make a lot of people angry.

You also misunderstand the workflow

I doubt that. I've been using it for several years now. You misread my post, and no wonder; it seems I should have written it more clearly.

I've never heard of doing the entire song in one pattern.

Me neither. I was trying to point out just how impossible and futile that is. Back when I first started using FL, that's what I had been trying unsuccessfully to do, until I discovered patterns. I only even posted in this thread to state my own preference on the original topic.

to state my own preference on the original topic.

The original topic was clips vs. blocks, and you never said what you preferred. You said you like patterns, which both systems use. :tomatoface:

Anyways, pointless bickering aside, you should learn how to use clips. They're much harder than simple pattern blocks, but they are a lot more flexible. It really expands what you can do with your patterns.

EDIT: WOW, I"M STUPID.

When I said they're removing patterns, I meant ye olde patterns blocks pre-FL Studio 9 (or 8 if you started usin clips earlier).

A. I've written entire songs in one pattern. Nothing wrong with that, though it does defeat the purpose of pattern-based workflow. I just find it easier sometimes for large orchestral pieces where I need to see how everything flows together.

B. They're not taking out pattern blocks in FL10. They will leave them in for that version and probably more, but as of FL10 they are 'deprecated', meaning they are not on by default and new projects will import as pattern clip-based. You can still enable blocks, however

C. FL's playlist doesn't 'need improvement'... it's extremely flexible and powerful, and will only get moreso in version 10. Lots of new stuff coming that people have already seen in the betas. I'm curious what you have a problem with.

B. They're not taking out pattern blocks in FL10. They will leave them in for that version and probably more, but as of FL10 they are 'deprecated', meaning they are not on by default and new projects will import as pattern clip-based. You can still enable blocks, however

However, moving forward the Playlist development will be Clip-tracks only and we won't show them by default. Are we crazy?
Oh, I guess I read it wrong. My bad, but I could've sworn they said they were removing it altogether.

The original topic was clips vs. blocks, and you never said what you preferred.

Ok so blocks are the things on the bottom of the playlist and clips are the things with notes shown that show up in the top. I hadn't really considered them as "different". I prefer clips then. Actually I hardly ever use blocks. I've only started using them for drum loops since there's really not anything meaningful they can display anyway. So blocks are to be removed in FL 10? Or deprecated, that is?

BTW, is there any way to swap the blocks section to be on top in FL 9? I know there was a way in 8, but it seems to have disappeared. :(

A. I've written entire songs in one pattern. Nothing wrong with that, though it does defeat the purpose of pattern-based workflow. I just find it easier sometimes for large orchestral pieces where I need to see how everything flows together.

Yeah, I do a similar thing for more live pieces; each section of the song is one pattern, thus having a diagonal string of patterns going downwards. Whilst people might think that's completely pointless, it does end up being easier to see where different sections are (with less clutter than Logic or Cubase) and also to copy and change them individually.

I'm glad the option of blocks is still included, Neblix needlessly worried me. ;D

Oh thank goodness. Though I really should start using the clips more. I've only been using it for automation and audio clips. I'm just still not really liking how you can put stuff where ever instead of the tracks being specific to a certain instrument or whatever. For the tracks to be completely free form is silly in my opinion, but I'm gonna learn it and of course I'll grow to like it, like we all do xD.