OCR01271 - Phantasy Star II "Boss Uniform"

djpretzel

good chill music. reminds me of riding on a bus. or a helocopter ride over some snow covered mountains... although i've never been on a helocopter.

Not something you can fall asleep to, and not something you bring to the Gym.

Very soft, very nice.

2:43 <-- LOVE THIS PIANO solo.

This song would be perfect for the credits of PS 2. Scroll the credits, play this song. Ya dig?

Heh, took me a while to recognize the track you remixed, but I must say you've chosen an interesting one to work with, and an interesting way to handle it, too.

Way to make an originally suspenseful piece of music a genuinely relaxing experience.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome mix, very very smooth. 8) It sounds like something you'd hear in the background on the Weather Channel or like something from the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast. (Or, failing that, Event: The Base from Sonic Adventure 2, you know...the cutscene music with the vibes and everything.)

Was this completely done in Propellerhead Reason? Some of those drums sound like they came from Native Insturments BATTERY 2, but it could also be a ReFill. :) I have no quarrels with the drum pattern (as DJP did) and I really have to compliment the E.Piano...easily the best E.Piano in a OC mix ever. Keep it up!

(BTW someone should do a rock remix of SNES Starfox: Corneria with like real guitars and stuff...that would PWN.)

• 2 months later...

The magic and feeling of the Phantasy Star series by sega has been captured by no other game series. this song represents both wonderfully. Definetly a foot tapping head bobbin experience.

The PS series has always been mysterious futuristic and jazzy and this song compliments all of that. To me the best RPG series out there. Phantasy Star II is efinetly my favorite. This song takes me to Algo everytime i hear it.

• 2 months later...

I like this a lot, it has kind of an outer-space feel to it, especially that synth pad at the beginning. It also sounds a bit like something from an anime movie or show scored by Yoko Kanno or someone else (I've really gotten hooked on her music for Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex lately). A nice piece of chill-out music. I enjoy discovering good remixes of music from games I never played, I was pretty much a Nintendo kid all the way, so I never really discoverd the Phantasy Star games (I remember my curiousity being piqued by things I that I read about them in VG magazines).

• 7 months later...

I don't really know what to say about this song. Quinn has managed to reach a very decent amount of grooveness, and the feeling of being in outer space has not been lost either. Sounds much like a jam session in a jazz club, and I liked the part where it got an even more ambient feel to it at 1:42. The piano was only one-handed, but it did still make a good job making this remix sound professional, by a professional. Seems like your hard work has paid off well Fox. VERY well.

• 1 year later...

Totally groovin', normally it's tough for a mix like this to really grab me, since it's so between the lines and subtle, but this really did the job. I am digging the drums, but I am not familiar with the default that was used.

Regardless, if I recognize a default beat, It does cheapen a mix for me, so I can understand the trepidation the judges showed. The synths and piano are awesome though, and I have to say overall i'm a fan of the mix.

• 7 months later...

SO I am sitting in my office and I look out the window and per usual the skies of new england are grey. Then I turn on this mix and damn it fits the mood perfectly. This type of song might not be for everyone, but damn for those who like laid back tracks DO NOT MISS THIS ONE. Excellent mood setting through minimalist elements. Simple sound design that blends and supports each other nicely. Really enjoy all of the subtle elements that are introduced throughout.

• 1 month later...

Why I like this music.... Perfect begining and an end.

The melody of a nice beat, rythem, and sound makes it very enjoyable to hear over and over again. A perfect melody of smoothness for any mood between a gray cloudy/rainy weather or just wanting to hit the books and enjoy a music as this one.

Highly recomended for any person out there. :grin: But of course, you need to be the judge of that as well. Don't take my opinion for it... TRY IT. YOU WONT REGRET IT.

• 1 year later...

I'm still a bigger fan of the original remix, "Slick Uniforms", but I still have good memories with this one. The overall feel of this actually had sadder quality to it compared to "Slick Uniforms". Back in '04, I had just joined the judges panel and my laptop had broken, so while I waited for it to be fixed, I spent several weeks up in a computer lab in the neighboring dorm in order to use the net and continue judging. Whenever I was working on assignments, I didn't have my music collection at my disposal, so I'd download a few tracks I really liked and cycle them in Windows Media Player, this being one of them, the OCR version. That computer lab was often just being used by me, so I got to play the stuff pretty loud, and I enjoyed the solitude anyway. Good memories chillin' to this; thanks, Quinn!

• 2 months later...

Ah, it's always good to hear the refelctive side of the remixing scene, as it doesn't show itself as often as it probably should.

This is some glossy chill music with a bit of punch under the hood. There's a touch more power in some sections than what the genre is probably used to. It sounds great and never collapses into the valley of droll notes and thin soundscapes.

I can't say I know the source tune, but I think it's safe to assume the original doesn't sound as moody and sleek as this. A deep and outreaching effort, as well as sounding cooler than cool.

• 1 month later...

Awesome intro with the Rhodes keys in there. All it was missing in Barry White and his sexy low voice! Good use of some quiet orchestral elements. Quinn, you know how to make chilled mixes so very very well! I can't help but find the pocket by tapping my foot and I can't seem to stop even while I type. The sound is very similar to your other two previous pieces of work, but as I heard with your second mix, the production polish on this one is even better than the first two. The piano sounds distant and detached, but it still sits nicely in with everything else! Love the bass line. It finds it's groove and it really helps carry the piece rhythmically! Another great job.

• 4 months later...
I'm still a bigger fan of the original remix, "Slick Uniforms", but I still have good memories with this one. The overall feel of this actually had sadder quality to it compared to "Slick Uniforms".

Aaaaahhhhh

I had another version of this song from an old VGmix website and i was asking myself questions about that, they were very similar

I can't remembered it all but i think that this one 'Boss Uniform' sounds were a tad more living and clean.

But both have a great slick and soothing feeling

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01271 - Phantasy Star II "Boss Uniform"