Schala Theme and Wiz Khalifa

souldragon777

Alright so I didn't see a topic about this and I know there have been discussions about the issue of sampling but this is kinda ridiculous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0z7OCaiByw

The blatant sample is directly from the SNES soundtrack of Chrono Trigger Schala's theme. It sounds like the producer just straight ripped it from the soundtrack. I don't think I woulda minded as much if he sampled the melody but I guess that would be asking too much.

I know we've heard of artists ripping off videogame music and other sources before, but this is the first I know where a more or less "famous" artist used a track from a videogame that probably has one of the most if not THE most well-known soundtracks in the VG community.

Thoughts? Do you guys care? I don't know if Mitsuda is collecting royalties on this one.

I believe that there are some creative uses of samples for beats but this one just seems more of a straight cut and drum loop arrangement than anything else.

...Oh in just in case you need the source material ;)

I know rap uses a lot of samples, but I am surprised that this particular song isn't getting some attention around these forums. How many times do we hear video game music in mainstream media? In fact let's just turn this into a thread where people post up VG themes in mainstream music. Here is another one:

sound quality isn't great but I think many people will recognize the sampled beat in this one.

• 10 months later...
Ain't the first time Wiz did this. Here's another one that you can hear plain as day:

And the source? Here:

And how about this? I really hope I don't have to say which source is used at the very start:

Am I the only person who finds that completely laughable?

Gunshot!

Kirby beeps...

uh UH!!

More Kirby beeps...

uh uh uh UHH!!!

Kirby beeps...

uh UHHHH!!!!

Here's another thing, the connection may seem a little more vague to you guys but check this out. It blew my mind.

I was wondering why I liked the new Britney Spears single "Criminal" so much, apart from being completely retarded. But compare these:

at 1:34

against

at like 0:52

It's loose but it's totally the same vibe