OCR02136 - Contra Force "Power Trip"

djpretzel

Have not heard the source, but man is this effin sweet. Great stuff dude!

Pretty much what BP said, and I'm not talking about the crappy oil giant speaking here.

There's a really nice laid back rocking groove to this. This may be understated, but I like how the synths add some dimension to the song, providing a nice contrast to the guitars.

Wow, the guitars in this mix are really solid, as are the drums. However, it's little things like the synths and orchestral samples behind the guitars that make this mix really work. The fullness granted by the orchestral and synth sounds is key, and takes this mix to a whole new level. Some very interesting samples also put a unique spin on the mix (the bubbling sound was unexpected!). Bottom line is this mix rocks so hard that I have a hard time believing this is a debut mix, and I'm really looking forward to your next track!

This is so good, I love how it all is really solid but sounds effortless; very confident and mature playing, and a sophisticated and varied arrangement. Love those panned guitar arpeggios around 3:14, and the whole feeling throughout is that Nick could shred the daylights out of this track, but just chooses not to. Powerful restraint, and a lot of talent.

Fantastic Track, strongly recommended. I absolutely cannot wait to hear what he's got coming up next. :-)

Look forward to more obscure 8-bit source tracks covered!

I am currently planning three tracks for 3 other, different games, none of which have been covered on OCR yet - and all 3 in a different genre each (none of which will be rock/metal like this one). The one commonality they share is that they're all NES games...

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

Very interesting remix. The intro reminds me of the music found in early PS1 games; Loaded in particular comes to mind (probably because of the bass guitar). Strings coming into the mix after a few seconds give it a movie-score-ish feeling, which is even stronger around 2:40.

Nice use of fx/bubbling around 0:50. Sweet guitar around 1:00. Nice change of pace at the 2 minute mark, awesome guitar afterwards. Some very powerful stuff around 2:50, followed by a delicious 80's hair metal synth. More awesome synth action around 3:50. Nice ending.

Yeah, this remix offers a lot. Nice work, man.

• 2 weeks later...

Awwwwww, Yeeeaaaah......

Now this is the stuff.

I'm really digging the bass here; I'm getting a very Bond-esque vibe from it all and it also reminds me of something else I heard of recently. Also, the orchestral elements just feel really distinctive like how everything else was specifically crafted to highlight them, and that's really cool. Like djp said, there's a lot of little things going on in this mix and it really makes it a delight to listen to.

• 4 weeks later...

Great game, great remix, AWESOME work! Loud and clear!

Especially love guitars at 0:42!

But maybe something wrong with my ears, cause all of guitars sounds fake. AWESOME! But fake. Probably I just can't believe that real guitar can sounds like in this mix)

Amazing synth sound at 2:56 and 4:28!!

Great work and great mix!

• 11 months later...

I really love this remix, listen to it in my car sometimes. There's some really good use of panning throughout, especially with the 2 guitars later on in the song when it speeds up. Some awesome synth work as well! The song structure stays pretty faithful to the original, but the sections just flow together too well in this style so it works.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02136 - Contra Force "Power Trip"