Modified MP3 Tagging & Official OCR Album Art!

djpretzel

Finally! Glad this is finally out, now I can replace... everything... *sigh*

...too bad I will have to manually select good mixes and give ratings to all of them again, but there's no other way.

Tho we all might discover something new this way. :D

As for the art... no orange? ima gonna break out mah photoshopz for my own v of teh art

Anyway I think I'll convert the new cover into a 200x200 image too, bigger covers (in mp3 files) are useless in my opinion.

Just noting, the artwork size wasn't uninformed. It's the smallest size necessary: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=493843&postcount=10

That would be pretty strange, but it makes sense. I think that my WMP will now change all mp3 names with a track number of four letters at the beginning, but that's ok, at least they won't be in alphabetical order anymore :) .

I have no idea what you think is going on with the track # being included in the tags, but I think you're inferring the wrong things.

Good thing, too bad I will have to manually select good mixes and give ratings to all of them again, but there's no other way.

Or you could load both sets of files into your players, sort them by title or artist, and then line things up so you can copy your old rating into the new file. Or just relisten to everything (my biased recommendation).

As for the art... no orange?

Maybe djp will explain his rationale behind the art and why he now hates orange (obviously).

ima gonna break out mah photoshopz for my own v of teh art

Good luck there, rebel. :-D

very practical and comprehensible changes. me likes.

plus: beautiful new art.

also i will redownload the torrents with the applied changes. this looks like a HELL LOT of work, so i am gonna make use of this awesome provided service. thanks alot for tagging everything for us. other people might have said: "that's the new tagging, if you want old stuff tagged: do it yourself". so kudos to you.

cheers,

-luhny

I have no idea what you think is going on with the track # being included in the tags, but I think you're inferring the wrong things.

Oh don't worry, it's simple: my Windows Media Player renames tracks with the number track before the title like:

15 Airman (Original, Short Ver.).mp3

and so an OCR will be like...

2136 Contra Force 'Power Trip' OC ReMix.mp3

But that's ok uh, I was just talking about it, I'm happy you're making these changes :)

Oh don't worry, it's simple: my Windows Media Player renames tracks with the number track before the title like:

15 Airman (Original, Short Ver.).mp3

and so an OCR will be like...

2136 Contra Force 'Power Trip' OC ReMix.mp3

But that's ok uh, I was just talking about it, I'm happy you're making these changes :)

Yeah, that's weird. Is that something having to do with your preferences that your WMP changes your filenames?

Anyway I think I'll convert the new cover into a 200x200 image too, bigger covers (in mp3 files) are useless in my opinion.

:shock:

Believe me there is a HUGE difference between 200x200 and 600x600 on my iPhone 4's display (920x640). The smaller art just doesn't look as sharp/refined. Makes me really regret, years ago, saying "Oh I think 300x300 will be fine" when I first embarked on my album-art project for my music library. In most cases the file size difference is minor unless you're getting up to 1000x1000 and higher, and if you're into collecting music then I think you've already forgone the "I don't have enough hard drive space for that" argument. 8) Don't make the same mistake I did!

I'm thrilled to see 600x600 as the new default, looks awesome on my iPhone and even Foobar when I maximize my player window. Coincidentally Bandcamp defaults to 700x700 for embedded art, which is pretty close too.

other people might have said: "that's the new tagging, if you want old stuff tagged: do it yourself". so kudos to you.

I agree, I think it's great you guys are doing this. I don't understand why, to this day, artists put music on the web with incomplete/improper tagging (and I do mean the artists themselves, not * ahem * others who might put them up somewhere, usually with proper tagging). I mean there's an ocean of music and why make it harder for us to look you up later? Updating all the older OCR tracks and making them easily available says to me, as a listener, that somebody cares about the branding and consistency, which is huge.

Oh and Larry, I think the URL in the album title is a great idea as this makes it drop-dead simple for new visitors to know exactly where the mix came from with no ambiguity or pain. In the modern era of "everything now" it really IS asking a lot for someone to take that extra step of Googling your site. Although many/most of us care enough to take that extra step, that's probably because on some level we're all music enthusiasts. The average listener is much lazier/busy/ambivalent IMHO. (And although I change the album title for my own library, I still agree with the decision as it's just good marketing sense!)

:shock:

Believe me there is a HUGE difference between 200x200 and 600x600 on my iPhone 4's display. Just doesn't look as sharp/refined. Makes me really regret, years ago, saying "Oh I think 300x300 will be fine" when I first embarked on my album-art project for my music library. In most cases the file size difference is minor unless you're getting up to 1000x1000 and higher, and if you're into collecting music then I think you've already forgone the "I don't have enough hard drive space for that" argument. 8)

I'm thrilled to see 600x600 as the new default, looks awesome on my iPhone and even Foobar when I maximize my player window. Coincidentally Bandcamp defaults to 700x700 for embedded art, which is pretty close too.

Well I don't know...I like to have the fullsize album art in the folder but in mp3 files I prefer using a 200x200 one, wich is the one that Windows Media Player creates :P

I just have a small concern: The new torrents will have updated ID3v2 tags for mix numbers 2100 and below and, as of now, mix numbers 2136 and higher have the updated tagging. So, there's a gap of 35 mixes that don't have the updated tagging, and I was just wondering when those would be take care of.

Also, just to confirm, I know, for example, that some of the old Ocarina of Time mixes list the game as "Zelda 64" where others give the full "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", so are these and other similar discrepancies being clarified?

Thanks! :-)

I just have a small concern: The new torrents will have updated ID3v2 tags for mix numbers 2100 and below and, as of now, mix numbers 2136 and higher have the updated tagging. So, there's a gap of 35 mixes that don't have the updated tagging, and I was just wondering when those would be take care of.

Every hosted mix on the mirrors we have will be replaced with the updated tags. ...Durr? Yes. Durr. :-)

Also, just to confirm, I know, for example, that some of the old Ocarina of Time mixes list the game as "Zelda 64" where others give the full "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", so are these and other similar discrepancies being clarified?

Nah, I decided to be a dick and not correct any information, i.e.:

All past ReMixes will include the following updates:

DONE:

• Standardized filenames and ID3v2 tags (e.g. proper game names, correct capitalization and spacing of mix titles)

No worries.

Relatively soon...ish. (aka no immediate ETA, but coming along)

Not soon enough!

This is great news, and I love the album artwork. I've been mulling over a long time of making my own but ended up just being incredibly lazy. Or I can say that my telekinetic prowess has finally grown to such a capacity that I influenced djpretzel and liontamer and all involved to create an album cover and retag all of the previous mixes. Now to improve upon my telekinesis and make them work faster!

I'm very excited about these changes and I can't wait for the torrents.

I wholeheartedly believe the artist field should obviously be the artist. They deserve all the credit for their own work. However, I still complain about this only because when you're talking about 2000+ OCRemixes in my music library, it becomes awful hard to find an artist like "George Strait" amidst all of the OCRemix artists that I honestly don't know about nor ever will.

Looking forward to some torrent links soon!

Not that my opinion carries any weight, but I think the list of tagging decisions includes all the right calls. One of the best decisions IMO was to reinstate* the single quotes around the song title, e.g.:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'House of Frogs' OC ReMix

This is helpful for aesthetics, clarity (especially for lesser known games with obscure titles and few ReMixes), and for separating the three components of the title via script. I used to add the quotes manually so I could run my files through a script and easily find/replace inconsistent game titles. That said, it looks like I won't even have to do that anymore, for great justice!

Until now, I was actually a bit nervous about this retagging project. I was excited about more consistent official tagging, but I was nervous that I'd have to manually separate game titles and song titles all over again. Thankfully, it looks like that won't be the case. Plus, since I won't need to change anything myself anymore, I can help seed the torrent(s) too. :)

*I say "reinstate," but was this ever actually the official convention until now, or did it come from the way titles are displayed on the site, or what? I just remember that older ReMixes included it, but ones from recent years made the title look like a single monolithic phrase. Musicbrainz was convinced that including single-quote separators was the right way to do things even before this new move [back?] to it, and I always figured it had to have been an official convention from the past given its relative eccentricity. After all, if it came from P2P users spontaneously adding separation before sharing, they probably would have used hyphens instead, with spaces at both sides.

This information looks awesome, so a big thank you to the higher ups at OC Remix.

My only criticism is, unfortunately, about the album tag.

Can't the album title be "http://ocremix.org - 'Name of Game'"? From what I've read by Liontamer, it seems you guys made the decision for solely "http://ocremix.org" based on ease of site recognition. Is that the only concern involved?

While I can agree with simple marketing, having the game's name in there as well would make organization much, much easier. Not everyone has an iPod and organizing/sorting music on some MP3 players without album info is a pain, and if a simple web address was your only concern, would it hurt to have both in there, clearly marked?

Still, this standardization is an amazing effort you guys are pulling off, so thanks again. I can't wait for these torrents.