Modified MP3 Tagging & Official OCR Album Art!

djpretzel

I'm also curious when the torrents are going to be complete and available. Several years ago, when it was just OCR1-1250, I listened through everything and told myself I'd do it again once the torrent(s) for 1-2000 were released. OCR2000 came out a while ago, and now my music library is horribly out-of-date.

Plus, I'm always looking for something legal that's somewhat high-traffic and somewhat high-size to help out my seeding ratio.

This information looks awesome' date=' so a big thank you to the higher ups at OC Remix.

My only criticism is, unfortunately, about the album tag.

Can't the album title be "http://ocremix.org - 'Name of Game'"? From what I've read by Liontamer, it seems you guys made the decision for solely "http://ocremix.org" based on ease of site recognition. Is that the only concern involved?

While I can agree with simple marketing, having the game's name in there [i']as well would make organization much, much easier. Not everyone has an iPod and organizing/sorting music on some MP3 players without album info is a pain, and if a simple web address was your only concern, would it hurt to have both in there, clearly marked?

Still, this standardization is an amazing effort you guys are pulling off, so thanks again. I can't wait for these torrents.

Wait, you WANT dozens of distinct albums, one from each game OCR covers? I mean, I don't know how your mp3 player works, but I'd be irritated if putting ocr tracks on my mp3 player created a bunch of unnecessary albums.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I'd prefer dozens (or likely hundreds) of albums with the ability to select by game as opposed to one album with 2000+ songs to sift through. If someone would not want a ton of albums on their player, they could just pick and choose what games to transfer over.

It's just my two cents on their proposal. These new torrents are a lot of work for them regardless, so I'm still grateful that standardization is happening at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Isn't the tagging pretty much done on Larry's end? I think it just rests on djp to set up updated torrents and reupload every song on the site (which is no small task, mind you.)

There's one more change I'd like to do with artist URLs that's taking me some time, plus Dave and I need to work out the logistics of the change.

Yes' date=' I'd prefer dozens (or likely hundreds) of albums with the ability to select by game as opposed to one album with 2000+ songs to sift through. If someone would not want a ton of albums on their player, they could just pick and choose what games to transfer over.

It's just my two cents on their proposal. These new torrents are a lot of work for them regardless, so I'm still grateful that standardization is happening at all.[/quote']

Once the files are out, you can get MP3tag and redo stuff to your heart's content.

There's one more change I'd like to do with artist URLs that's taking me some time, plus Dave and I need to work out the logistics of the change.

Apologies if you've gotten this question way too much, Larry, but is there an ETA on the new torrents becoming available? Are we talking a few weeks, or still another couple of months?

Once the files are out, you can get MP3tag and redo stuff to your heart's content.

One issue is that, with the quotes, I'm not sure how to distinguish between the name of the game and the name of the track, unless there's another few fields and an updated version of MP3Tag that I'm unaware of.

Anyone tagging experts know an easy way to do this? KF

Apologies if you've gotten this question way too much, Larry, but is there an ETA on the new torrents becoming available? Are we talking a few weeks, or still another couple of months?

Months, but working on it. I'm in the D's as far as my last artist URL updates. The issue of artist link 404s came up, and linking to the OCR artist page was the best way to avoid 404s, as well as provide a link that could then fans to see all the social pages an artist has.

One issue is that, with the quotes, I'm not sure how to distinguish between the name of the game and the name of the track, unless there's another few fields and an updated version of MP3Tag that I'm unaware of.

Anyone tagging experts know an easy way to do this? KF

The point of the quotes is to more clearly separate the game title from the remix name. Not sure how it does anything BUT make it clearer. :lol: The Title field will always use the style of Game Name 'ReMix Title' OC ReMix. Everything will also use the Subtitle field to house just the plain title of the ReMix w/o the game name or OC ReMix. That field can be made visible through MP3tag, though, in iTunes, Subtitle is mapped to the video Description field.

The point of the quotes is to more clearly separate the game title from the remix name. Not sure how it does anything BUT make it clearer. :lol: The Title field will always use the style of Game Name 'ReMix Title' OC ReMix. Everything will also use the Subtitle field to house just the plain title of the ReMix w/o the game name or OC ReMix. That field can be made visible through MP3tag, though, in iTunes, Subtitle is mapped to the video Description field.

I think I may have worded that poorly, my mistake. The quotes make the song title vs. game title clear, definitely, but I was thinking of how to make this clear in MP3Tag (or some other tag program) if, say, I wanted to organize it into subfolders based on games or something. It was really more of a MP3Tag/utility question, not one about the tags themselves.

The Subtitle field basically solves all of that. I could use the quotation marks in the Title field as delimiters as well, but an errant apostrophe in the title would trip that up (e.g., "Super Mario World 'Super Mario's Sleigh Ride' OC ReMix could end up with 'Super Mario' as the remix title). KF

I think I may have worded that poorly, my mistake. The quotes make the song title vs. game title clear, definitely, but I was thinking of how to make this clear in MP3Tag (or some other tag program) if, say, I wanted to organize it into subfolders based on games or something. It was really more of a MP3Tag/utility question, not one about the tags themselves.

The Subtitle field basically solves all of that. I could use the quotation marks in the Title field as delimiters as well, but an errant apostrophe in the title would trip that up (e.g., "Super Mario World 'Super Mario's Sleigh Ride' OC ReMix could end up with 'Super Mario' as the remix title). KF

Nah, np. Both the Content Group and Original Album fields will have the full game names there, so even if you change the title tags, you'll still have the ability to sort by game in iTunes.

• 1 month later...

Since there will be a massive re-tagging or has been.

The albums that got released previously, will they also get new tags/torrents? Upgraded bitrates? Wavs converted to FLAC, FLAC compressed to level 8? Albums with damaged or wrong tracks get the proper ones inserted (Missingno, the ANSWER)? Will game names on the site be changed previous to the whole release? Mega man and a few others show Roman Numerals on the boxes yet are called by 1, 2, etc.

Will the sites for each track be updated to give proper timing? And will it be attributed to the remixers current or previous aliases (if they have changed?

It may also be helpful to try and add/edit all the artists/music to musicbrainz

P.S. Sorry, I ramble a lot.

Unlike the NES games, the Game Boy games are known as "Rockman World" in Japan, which means either numeral works fine. The first, numberless game in Game Boy series in the rest of the world has the subtitle "Dr. Wily's Revenge" to distinguish it from the first, NES Mega Man game. For the sequels on both consoles though, the kind of numeral is the only way to tell which game (and console) you're talking about. That's why they have to be used consistently. Like I said, the box art is very consistent about this, but the games have only Roman numerals in the title screens - both on the NES and on the Game Boy.

• 7 months later...
It's been 5 months...any word on the progress here? Or did I miss an important thread elsewhere?

I've mentioned in a few other threads, but the plan is to roll the updated stuff out before the end of the year, or after MAGFest in January, which'll be after the holiday season.

I'm waiting for some WAVs from djpretzel to update his mixes, and we should be good with the files themselves. Then comes dealing with how to update everything on the database side.

• 1 month later...
MP3s below 2136 are missing the Track tag (or where present, it's "0") in the mirrors. Something like mp3tag can fix this problem with a simple html export/import on each mirror, instead of having to reup old songs.

All the updates in the OP have already been applied to my collection of mixes. Once we're finished and good to go with doing these replacements, you'll see that everything has been overhauled and fixed. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How are things looking here? Any updates?

Thanks for checking in. This has clearly been a long-tail type of project. :-)

We've recently updated the standards by 1) removing the filesize limit, and 2) asking for all encodings from now on to either be 192kbps or VBR1 quality.

Because of this change in the standards, we're going to make a final push for upgraded encodings from the ReMixers for whatever older material we can get, then it's working out the logistics with djp on how to properly replace every file in the database, which is tougher than it looks.

Just FYI, periodically I'm privately backing up my work in 2 places (external drive and online), so if my comp fried tomorrow, we wouldn't lose all of this progress. Sorry for the wait, though I promise it'll be worth it for this set of music. :-)