OCR01276 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Set Sail"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

Yay! A Jib Jig mix at last! While it doesn't exactly portray the word piratical like I pictured it to, it certaintly captured the theme of DKC2 which was basically pirates. Oh and it gets points for that nice piece of Bayou Boogie at the beginning. You should do another Jib Jig mix if Kong In Koncert 2 is decided to become reality. 10/10.

• 3 months later...

I just listened to this ReMix for the first time today, which is bizarre; I normally NEVER miss DKC2 ReMixes, because I check the site every day and DKC2 is one of my favorite video game soundtracks. :?

Anyway, this has to be the BEST ReMix I've ever heard on this site. It sounds very strikingly lot like something you would hear from Disney. It'd make the perfect song to hear while you watched one of the nightly fireworks shows at Disneyland.

Oh, great, now this song has me yearning for some classic Disney nostalgia, for some odd reason. :? Maybe Blizi should get a job at that company and work on the music for some of their animated films... Agh, I've gotta get out of the house!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm so glad that this mix got accepted! I kept a close watch on it through the WIP phase, and its great to see that it has found its rightful place on OCR. Yeah, I know its been on the site for some time now, I just haven't had the chance to check OCR in a good while.

This is definately one of my DKC2 favorites - it rivals the work of the great Protricity. This mix flows together seamlessly...kinda reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Stellar job, Bliz! 10/10!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This a mix that sounds like you actually held an orchestral concert to record this piece. The flow of the moods this mix brings sounds almost exactly like a piece by a video game-loving, 15th century musician. What surprises me, though, is that this sounds so close to something for a Wind Waker remix than one for DKC2. You did a good job, but the only problem was that it was a little shorter than I thought it would be.

Final Grade: 7 out of 10

• 1 year later...

As a fan of Donkey Kong Country 2 and its soundtrack I have to say I like how this song turned out. I was surprised to find the forest theme used with a sailing themed song but the execution was done really well. I remember seeing a Set Sail 2 on vgmix.com back when the site was still up and hope it makes it to OCR.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hooboy this is my first review in a while and I have alot of songs to catch up on.

Anyway, I found this piece to be very enjoyable. I particularly like orchestral mixes. The beginning section was done very beautifully and the transition was good into the faster part. To be honest I felt that it was a little strange to start it of so quiet and then go into a louder more active section.

The bass lines (namely the cellos) were wonderfully written and went well with the overall piece. I mostly enjoyed the use of dynamics and tempo changes. As always as I percussion major I feel that a strong background with lots of toys and gadgets going on gives a piece the extra excitment it needs.

Overall I felt the song went very smoothly with few errors.

• 1 year later...

This is one of my favorite songs ever on OCR seriously. this song is beautiful and very faithful to the original. I mostly enjoyed the upbeat bit in the middle and then I tend to restart the song when it gets to the slow brooding bit towards the end. Not that it's bad at that point it just starts turning away from my preferred genre.

Anyway this song well deserves getting the FIRST review I've written on this site in more then 4 years.

• 4 months later...

Sometimes, in my journeys on this site, I find arrangements that are perhaps the epitome, the pinnacle, the apex of the piece's original essence; what the track was trying to be, what it yearned for in the years it was trapped by the limitations of primitive sound programming.

This is one of those arrangements.

It takes everything I liked about the original track and turns it into a beautiful symphonic piece that could easily be used for a movie about adventure on the high seas, pirate-induced or otherwise. With minor tweaking, I would love to hear this performed by a live orchestra.

• 1 year later...

Heh...

This is a cute sea shanty. Reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean to a degree.

It also reminds me of Wind Waker/One Piece/Monkey Island to a degree also (in general thematics that is, not musical themes). It has that innocent/hopeful streak running through it as well in addition to that grandiose "We're off on a Grand Adventure" type feel to this.

I like this; it's very light hearted and inspiring.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Pirates of the Caribbean, cause that was darker and a bit more....pirate-ty. But I can easily imagine a ship leaving the docks with a light-hearted sea crew. A great little tune that's perfect for doing a (jib) jig on the deck and drinking good rum to other sea shantys. Well done, you've earned your "DJ" title as far as I'm concerned.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01276 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Set Sail"