Best Antipirating Measure EVER

XZero

Ubisoft, you win. That's all there is to it, you win.

As anyone who watched the soccer tournament over the summer can tell you, the horns people were blowing throughout the whole thing were annoying as hell. Apparently Ubisoft came up with a good way of using them.

According to IGN: http://ds.ign.com/articles/113/1138191p1.html

Ubisoft put something in the DS version of the Michael Jackson game that, if tampered with, will play a constant horn over the music of the game. Tampered with in the form of rom dump, that is.

I guess there's only one problem with this. Who's pirating the Michael Jackson DS game?

I feel like I might have encountered that Earthbound ROM, but I didn't get to the end of it. Not sure though, as enemy encounter rates are pretty high in a number of that era's RPGs.

So I guess they succeeded in reducing the fun factor in their game.

I feel like I might have encountered that Earthbound ROM, but I didn't get to the end of it. Not sure though, as enemy encounter rates are pretty high in a number of that era's RPGs.

So I guess they succeeded in reducing the fun factor in their game.

The standard ROM version of Earthbound has that piracy check disabled, or at least it doesn't trigger on the vast majority of emulators. Just an FYI.

I really want to see a youtube clip of this anti-piracy in action.

Just check the original article. IGN has a video up.

That's actually pretty neat. Much better than forcing the game into being on an always online connection.

I know there are few other games that force a crash in various areas if pirated. I believe this happened with Titan Quest. Unfortunately, many people though it was a problem with the actual game rather than an anti-piracy measure.

I remember Dragon Quest V and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 have some anti piracy measures in place as well. In DQV the game would lock up on the boat, you couldn't leave it and the it would never progress beyond the standard conversations. FFTA2 would just lock up and reset after the introductory battle played out. But that was on the flash card.

The standard ROM version of Earthbound has that piracy check disabled, or at least it doesn't trigger on the vast majority of emulators. Just an FYI.

Probably true, as emulators and ROMs haven't really changed that much in the last decade.

would probably be the best antipiracy measure. And I guess that I got hit by Metal Gear Solid's "copy protection", since rental copies don't let you take the game case :/