Bayonetta/After Burner - Lady In Black

DjMystix

ok guys! I've redone almost all leads:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%2...-%20Final2.mp3

1. Piano now has a arpeggio layer underneath to sound more natural

2. Both sax re-recorded to sound as human as possible (believe me, I really tried hard to make it sound real)

3. Flute sample replaced with the one with less vibration (also added some breath effects to make it sound more real)

4. Some chords progression re-written.

I hope you guys have no complains this time. I really want to move on to VROOM project after this. So, submission worthy?

Source(s)

Bayonetta:

After Burner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY78laSGops

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I've decided to to pursue this idea further. Here is my first wip for this song. The idea is to make a nice chillout version of a fast and heavy track. I've played with the chord progression a bit to make it sound a bit more..... romantic. It is going to be very hard to do justice to such a high pump action track.

btw, this track is dedicated to Bayonetta! (one of my favorite characters of all time) :)

wip1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/AfterBurner%20-%20Nightfall%20-%20wip1.mp3

I've re-written/re-recorded everything from scratch so forget that sketch I posted earlier. As always, appreciate your comments/suggestions.

After Burner

After Burner (Climax) - Bayonetta

: Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The video is gone but it was that StarFox track that everyone compares to After Burner. Only the drums and guitar sounds a bit similar to this track. Otherwise, both of them are completely different songs IMO.

edit: video is still there dunno what happened. Still.... completely different track. :)

Dude, this is one sexy-as-hell remix.

I'm really, really enjoying this... I adore the source, and this is a fantastic spin on it. I'll chime in with some more constructive feedback later (if I can muster up any, that is.)

As always, it's a real pleasure to listen to anything your working on. I can't really say that your stuff sounds quite like anything else I hear around these parts :D

Dude, this is one sexy-as-hell remix.

I'm really, really enjoying this... I adore the source, and this is a fantastic spin on it. I'll chime in with some more constructive feedback later (if I can muster up any, that is.)

As always, it's a real pleasure to listen to anything your working on. I can't really say that your stuff sounds quite like anything else I hear around these parts :D

Thanks Robbie! I was soo tired but your highly encouraging comments made me come back and finish everything I had in mind. Here's my second WIP. I definitely wanted it to feel sexy and passionately romantic (it's a dedication to Bayonetta afterall ;) She reignited the love I had for this track)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/AfterBurner%20-%20Nightfall%20-%20wip2.mp3

That's all I got. Now for the cleanup and complaints :)

Thanks Robbie! I was soo tired but your highly encouraging comments made me come back and finish everything I had in mind. Here's my second WIP. I definitely wanted it to feel sexy and passionately romantic (it's a dedication to Bayonetta afterall ;) She reignited the love I had for this track)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/WIP/AfterBurner%20-%20Nightfall%20-%20wip2.mp3

That's all I got. Now for the cleanup and complaints :)

Definitely sounds beefier man, and I got no complaints whatsoever. You actually remind me a lot of Vangelis for some reason. Not saying your sound is that similar, but you seem to follow the train of thought he seems to in his pieces. Especially when it comes to background elements and the like. Actually, you just seem to remind me a lot of classic 80's synth composers in general. Very atmospheric, melodic, and engaging.

Top-drawer stuff dude... keep it going :D :D :D

Definitely sounds beefier man, and I got no complaints whatsoever. You actually remind me a lot of Vangelis for some reason. Not saying your sound is that similar, but you seem to follow the train of thought he seems to in his pieces. Especially when it comes to background elements and the like. Actually, you just seem to remind me a lot of classic 80's synth composers in general. Very atmospheric, melodic, and engaging.

Top-drawer stuff dude... keep it going :D :D :D

Vengelis? That's a huge compliment because he is one of my favorite composers. and yeah you're right, I'm still stuck in the 80's and early 90's. I think that era had the best-est music.

ok I'm done with this mix. Once again, although the original source is from After Burner but I was inspired by the remix in Bayonetta to write this song. Also, it is dedicated to her as well. My aim was to convert a fast action track to a slow, sexy and romantic chillout song.

MP3:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/Bayonetta%20-%20Lady%20in%20Black%20-%20Final.mp3

YouTube:

Source(s)

Bayonetta:

After Burner:

As always, Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Once again, although the original source is from After Burner but I was inspired by the remix in Bayonetta to write this song. Also, it is dedicated to her as well.

This brings a tear to the indian's eye.

Been waiting for a remix of this since Kyle's request thread. I'm digging what you did with it; this is a keeper for sure.

Mod review? Edit: I swear it didn't say mod review when I clicked the thread.

Mod review? Edit: I swear it didn't say mod review when I clicked the thread.

you're right. I just decided to hand it over to Mods because I won't be able to work on it for another week. Plus I can't find any more problems myself to fix. In a week's time, we'll have plenty of info and would know if there is an area where I can fix stuff :)

What do you think?

Me? A source rundown is about all I'm good for, and you've no problem with the 50% thing. Interpretation, production, etc: not my bag. Only potential issue I can see sourcewise is that you intentionally pared it down to fit your mood/genre. I think this shouldn't be an issue, since what you missed were portions of the accompanying lines and some riffage (amidst nailing the essence of the melody, accompaniment, and bassline), but I'm also not a judge.

Frankly, you're not doing yourself any favors by choosing a cover with so much going on. I think you need to cite the original. Of course, I'm only trying to look after you.

Honestly though, I havne't a clue if that would be an issue. Just pointing it out so it can be addressed now rather than later, should it warrant addressing. This is staying on my playlist regardless.

Oh man, this is excellent. Though I'd really like to hear some live piano and saxophone (the samples sound pretty good, but are still a little synthetic. We need some Anthony Lofton, Xenon Odyssey or prophetik up in this piece!) I can't deny that the arrangement is slick. An enjoyable take on a personal favorite of mine. :-)

yeah, this would definitely benefit from live piano and sax. those samples are probably the biggest issue with the song as is, and some live performances could really help bring it all together. the flute sample at the end was probably the worst of the three, but it's not exposed for as long.. i'd at least try to find a better sample for that one. i also thought some of the drum rhythms were just a bit random at times, particularly some open-hat/ride patterns around the middle portion of the song. nothing too severe though.

just doing a quick source comparison, as has been said before, it seems a bit like a conservative/somewhat stripped-down version of the source, but the genre conversion is successful, perhaps just a bit more original writing and embellishments would give it a little more character.

anyway, aside from those samples, this is pretty good. i highly encourage you to find some live performers (shouldn't be hard, everyone around here is a piano or sax player :P), or at the very least try to get some better samples in there. nice work, and best of luck. :)

yeah, this would definitely benefit from live piano and sax. those samples are probably the biggest issue with the song as is, and some live performances could really help bring it all together. the flute sample at the end was probably the worst of the three, but it's not exposed for as long.. i'd at least try to find a better sample for that one. i also thought some of the drum rhythms were just a bit random at times, particularly some open-hat/ride patterns around the middle portion of the song. nothing too severe though.

just doing a quick source comparison, as has been said before, it seems a bit like a conservative/somewhat stripped-down version of the source, but the genre conversion is successful, perhaps just a bit more original writing and embellishments would give it a little more character.

anyway, aside from those samples, this is pretty good. i highly encourage you to find some live performers (shouldn't be hard, everyone around here is a piano or sax player :P), or at the very least try to get some better samples in there. nice work, and best of luck. :)

The leads are really that bad? I heard my track several times after this comment and agree that the piano in the intro and sax can be improved. I will also try to re-record the flute. (Need to check the collaboration forum as well)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love to hear from other Mods as well.

Very nice work! The arrangement is quite expansive, with lots of variety in dynamics and textures. You use the samples in an organic way, and in general they're pretty good to start with.

If there's any way you could back off on the vibrato on the flute and sax (using it judiciously, here and there), it would be a good idea. And the piano actually sounds great for the most part, I'd just use the rolled chords a bit more sparingly, especially in the beginning.

Definitely fun to listen to as-is, though. :-)

The remix is great but in my opnion is very relaxed, too much actually I almost fell asleep here lol

Edit:

Dude, I was listening the original music that you remixed (Climax Mix), do you know where I can found a VSTi similar to that eletric guitar (or organ, sometimes I don't know for sure if it's a guitar or a organ --') used in the whole sound?

• 1 month later...

ok guys! I've redone almost all leads:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3443029/My%20Remixes/AfterBurner%20-%20Lady%20in%20Black%20-%20Final2.mp3

1. Piano now has a arpeggio layer underneath to sound more natural

2. Both sax re-recorded to sound as human as possible

3. Flute sample replaced with the one with less vibration (also added some breath effects to make it sound more real)

4. Some chords progression re-written.

I hope you guys have no complains this time. I really want to move on to VROOM project after this. So, submission worthy?

If there's any way you could back off on the vibrato on the flute and sax (using it judiciously, here and there), it would be a good idea. And the piano actually sounds great for the most part, I'd just use the rolled chords a bit more sparingly, especially in the beginning.

Done deal. Let me know if this new version sound good.

I've tried very hard to make you happy halc with the new version :)

Source(s)

Bayonetta:

After Burner:

Wow, this is... really, really awesome. As I write this I'm about halfway through your remix, and it feels really fantastic. The sax is obviously fake but you really made some great efforts to humanize it and give it a lot of character, as you do with all your instruments. I think CyprusX has a valid point that it stays pretty slow throughout, but your melodies have a way of bringing up the energy and bringing the song to more of a climax within each section so that it might not be an issue. I see what you're doing with the percussion but if you feel like this is a valid concern, perhaps it might be worth rewriting the precussion to build up a bit as the song goes along.

Other than that? Solid arrangement all-around, as always :-) Your piano sounds fantastic, nice atmospheric elements, a lot of attention paid to getting the most out of your samples... I like this mix a LOT and I think (assuming you used enough source, I can't check right now) this should be a relatively easy pass :-D

Wow, this is... really, really awesome. As I write this I'm about halfway through your remix, and it feels really fantastic. The sax is obviously fake but you really made some great efforts to humanize it and give it a lot of character, as you do with all your instruments. I think CyprusX has a valid point that it stays pretty slow throughout, but your melodies have a way of bringing up the energy and bringing the song to more of a climax within each section so that it might not be an issue. I see what you're doing with the percussion but if you feel like this is a valid concern, perhaps it might be worth rewriting the precussion to build up a bit as the song goes along.
However , my only problem is the fact that it is too slow , all the time , and it's wwwaaaaaaaaay too awesome of a song to be slow , all the time ,

Thanks guys! I'm afraid at this stage, I can't do anything about the mix being slow all the time. Although CyprusX, you have tempted me to do a kind of electronica version of this mix. This mix was meant to be slow, romantic and a bit sexy sounding.

This is so awesome it's not even possible .

Loved this comment!

Other than that? Solid arrangement all-around, as always Your piano sounds fantastic, nice atmospheric elements, a lot of attention paid to getting the most out of your samples... I like this mix a LOT and I think (assuming you used enough source, I can't check right now) this should be a relatively easy pass

As always, thanks for your excellent review. Don't worry about source check, it's more than 80% of the mix. I guess I can go ahead and sub this now! :)