December is Reviews Month!

DragonAvenger

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is that time of the year again where most of us complain of the cold weather and horrible driving conditions, and the rest of us think about the end of the semester. What better way to celebrate such wonderous things but by participating in our yearly promotion of giving to others.

That's right, December is Reviews Month! What better way to show your appreciation for all the artists who put their time and effort into creating the masterpieces that we can listen to (all for free by the way) then by letting them know what you think of their work? We have an auspicious goal of having at least 400 reviews for tracks by the end of the month, and the more the merrier!

Last year we had a huge goal where every track had at least 10 reviews on it. It seems as though we've fallen a bit behind, so hopefully we can catch up, and even exceed that number! Here's a helpful link to all the mixes by lowest amount of reviews.

Someday, if we work hard enough, we can join our super-awesome-judge OA in reviewing every single remix on this site!

Of course we have a bit of incentive for you all. This year, the more you REview, the more we are going to REveal! Don't quite understand? Just help us get 50 total reviews for this month and you will see just the first step!

Whatever you may celebrate, Happy Holidays to you! If you don't celebrate, then Happy Solstice!

Gee, time sure flies doesn't it? Seems like not to long ago I was doing this.

You can count me in on the action! The incentive for this year is just the sweetener for incresing my po- I mean, reviewing the awesome songs that come to this site :wink: (I mean it, honestly.)

I'll most likely go on a reviewing spree tomorrow. Until then.

*Puts on hat and cape*

Reviewing man away! *Flies off*

You have absolutely no idea how much I was looking forward to this. :grin:

Definitely going to try to beat my record for last year, but it'll be after finals before I can kick it into high gear.

*cracks knuckles and dives in headfirst*

[Edit]

Whew, 1/8 of the way there...

Anyway, to prevent a double post, I'll just edit this one.

Firstly, don't forget about the songs that haven't been reviewed in a while. There's only two and a half pages of mixes that haven't been reviewed since 2008, too.

Secondly,

STOP THE REVIEWS GUYS its a trap@!!!

Ignore the naysayers! They only want to stop us from reaching our goals!

Never give up! Trust your instincts! Use bombs wisely!

wait....

The trick is writing thoughtful reviews. I could gush about how awesome everything is until the cows come home. I need to actually think of good things to say. Like how awesome everything is! Yeah, that's it.

this, I am sure the artists are going to appreciate good constructive criticism better than mindless praise

I could pretend to be offended by the motivational forces at work here, but instead...

Why is OA the only one doing it rite? Deia's has magically switching wardrobes, and SHE EVEN GAINED SOME COVERAGE! Going from sockless to fully-socked? That's just cruel. :sad:

Still haven't gotten started on reviewing stuff, but I dug up this little thing I wrote a while back on the topic of reviewing:

I can't paint, but if I see a pic I like, I can often figure out what I like about it. The color, the shapes, the constrast, some interpretation of what it means. "That thing in the corner that looks like the moon looks kind'a like an eye too, like someone's watching. Cool how the moonbeams illuminate all the ppl in the pic. And nice house designs in the right-hand background." Still can't paint. :P

I know I often look at my review threads (and got a kick out of getting my winter mix posted and having a long review thread now that I got home from camps :D) and it's always cool to see how something I did affected ppl. What they like the most, what it makes them think of, what visuals they imagine when they hear it, how some instrument or melody or rhythm or something gets them feeling a certain way. Just say what you like about it in whatever words (musical or not) you've got to describe what you hear or feel.

So while constructive criticism is always better than mindless praise, there's other kinds of comments. Tangential ones about what you end up thinking of when you hear a mix, or anecdotal ones about where and with whom you've listened to it (and what they said about it, if anything). I'm sure we can list a lot of different kind of comments that the artists appreciate even if they're not technical.

This should be much easier for us remixers (posted or not). What do we enjoy hearing about our works? What have we benefitted the most from hearing? What do we want to ask our listeners about our works?

In other words, just tell them what you thought of it. :P