OCR00520 - Blaster Master "Der Überfrosh"

orkybash

• 1 month later...

This piece is excellent!

I'm a huge BM fan -- I like EVERY BGM from Blaster Master. So naturally, I like the title theme as well, but I never thought anyone could remix it, because it's so short and rather repetetive. Well, KP found a way, and did it well.

Very moody, it evokes a mood that's true to the nature of Blaster Master: you can easily think of dark, damp, vast underground caverns when you hear this. The church bells are a nice touch. A great mix, overall! :)

Personal Rating: 8/10

A very hard task to remix the opening music from Blaster Master, but KP did it!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This one is nice, it mixes peace with agony really well, and my only complaint is that the drums are pretty crappy. I even like the distorted guitar synth, as it is used sparingly and tastefully.

The acoustic guitar arpeggios are especially nice, and anchor the track very well, and when the aforementioned guitar synths come in, the air-raid siren sounding synth that comes in lends an understated urgency.

Bad drums or no, this is cool stuff, especially coming from early 2002.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

starts off setting a very nice mood, but I'm not too crazy about the guitar when it's introduced. I think there was another one in the background behind it, and if so I'd like to hear it with just the one in the background. I just think it clashes a little too much with the acoustic guitar which is key in establishing the atmosphere.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I like the theatrical intro to this. The crunchy, distorted drum kick made everything sound like it was clipping. The rhythm guitar wasn't my favorite and there were some timing/performance issues with it. The drums do sound a bit thin for something that it supposed to really rock. THe breakdown with the just the guitar, pads, and drums is very nice. Gives it an interesting dynamic! I'm really not a fan of that guitar, but again, that's personal preference. Let's hear what we have next!

• 2 years later...

You and your barebones sources. >_> This is 8 measures long, but it's really just this etheral soundscape setting up the game's backdrop.

But yeah, with the use of acoustic guitar and more atmospheric percussion it tends to add this more 'apocalyptic' feel to the source. It starts out safe to it, but it manages to play around a little bit when the electric guitars ended up coming in (though whether it would fit with the source's rhythms is another thing altogether). Yet, eventually it would crawl all the way back to the gentle acoustic nature and back again to that kind of riff; for me it seems to on the line of something more chilled and uninvolving.

It may be a flossy production but when considering that most of it could've held up just fine back then, I must state that I'm not really too keen on the texture for the guitars at all though; don't know if they're live or just weakly filtered synth ones, but this constant use of high-end can be seen as a draw against on it for me. The other instruments were humanised quite well and fit the soundscape, just that due to this flossy mixing it seems to have suffered considerably in regards to age.

It's a creepy take on such a minimalist source though, but in regards to the mix as a whole I couldn't really get into it. It's got some cool things that it tried to do, definitely, but all that taken into consideration I couldn't really see it as much of a keeper at all; I'm sorry :|

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00520 - Blaster Master "Der Überfrosh"