*NO* Borderlands 'Fyrestone Free'

OceansAndrew

Remixer name: delbuster

Game arranged: Borderlands

Composer: Jesper Kyd

Background:

So, here's my first remix I decided to send in because I really like Borderlands and there is a new DLC. The source tune is one of the first standout tracks the game has, IMO. Since the game kinda starts off slow (in the city of Fyrestone) the music is something that you're gonna be with a lot at the beginning. The source tune is actually the "slow action" music, so you don't hear it when you fight but rather as you're running around looking for stuff.

I was also inspired by djpretzel mentioning Borderlands in the posts for Great Job! (i love that so much, and i even did a piano cover on it, lol) and Fallout of Eli, as I too spent many hours combing the Borderlands for better loot and stuff.

P.S. Phasewalking is TOO GOOD

Song arranged: "Welcome to Fyrestone" - Link:

I've got to say, this isn't a source I would think to remix. It's pretty ambient, and there isn't much going on to use. That being said, I think you took what you had and made good use of it. There is lots of use of the source in here, and more than that, you used a lot of elements from the original into this. It's hard to judge this because of how ambient it is overall, and the amount of original material that has to be put into this to make it work. The bassline you used with the track works pretty well, but gets a little overused towards the end.

I like the way the percussion is used here, although it could cut through just a little more. I'm really not a fan of the bass sound here. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the track, and is too loud and forefront overall. If it were toned down and made to match the rest of the track better, I would be more comfortable with this.

I think it's close here, but unless that bass is adjusted, I can't let it by.

NO (resubmit)

besides the super dry bass, I was feeling this. The source itself is very subtle, so it took several listens to really hear how much you really altered the source, because at first it sounded near identical to me. Very classy work, it's like a watercolor, with all the delicate changes. I wish the dynamic palate was a bit broader, however, as the song would be more exciting that way. The percussion is interesting patternwise, but I almost found myself (ok, no almost; i did find myself) wishing for something beefier in some of the sections, even if used sparingly, like an orchestral bass drum. Something like that would help the bigger sections differentiate, and would give a more solid foundation for those sections.

The bass really does sound overly GM to me, and brings down an otherwise solid soundscape. Adjust that and i'm ok passing this, though making the percussion slightly more exciting wouldn't hurt either.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Yeah not really sure about this one. That bass has really gotta be fixed. It's too prevalent and sounds really mechanical. The development is interesting but the texture sounds kind of sparse, like there's something missing in the mid-range? I agree with OA, the whole thing needs kind of a beefier sound to it.

I'm fine with development but this needs some adjustments to the sound structure and levels.

NO, resub