OCR02141 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask "Serious Moon Business"

djpretzel

Oh how I love when my favorite WIP mixes end up on the site for real. Great name too hahaha

So glad to see Majora's Mask get some love this year, and this is just fantastic. The intro in particular just draws you in like crazy. halc can do no wrong! (good job to insixfour too!)

yay! bry's a posted remixer! too bad he doesn't have the internet; I'll have to text him about it lol

just to shed some light on who did what... it's pretty safe to say any of the mellower/thicker synth textures were bryan's doing, and a lot of the chord change-ups/more liberal portions were probably his idea too. I'm sure drew can elaborate a bit more, but being familiar with bry's original work allows me to pick out his presence in the mix quite easily

solid work from two of my closest friends :D

Although I haven't played Zelda game to great lengths(only "Zelda II" and "The Ocarina of Time") I found this arrangement to very much evoke a happier side of the Zelda series, as if when Hyrule is experiencing more peaceful times. This is a very uplifting sound remix without being to cheesy about it. It's well thought out and well executed. My only negative criticism about the mix itself is I feel that the bass intrument used could've had a tiny bit more low end going on EQ wise. Other than that, solid across the board.

Good job fellas!

I love it. I'm really digging some of the detail in this song too. It's chippy like most of halcs work but not "too" chippy which I guess was because of his friends influence? Hmm..

The source was never necessarily a favorite of mine. It sounded kind of creepy, tbh. I should expect that from Majora's Mask really, but it was a different type of creepy I guess.

Maybe in the future we can expect HalcInSixFourChthonic?

I love it. I'm really digging some of the detail in this song too. It's chippy like most of halcs work but not "too" chippy which I guess was because of his friends influence? Hmm..

The source was never necessarily a favorite of mine. It sounded kind of creepy, tbh. I should expect that from Majora's Mask really, but it was a different type of creepy I guess.

Maybe in the future we can expect HalcInSixFourChthonic?

total agreement. the overall themes of Majora's Mask are indeed creepy, but this mix takes on a whole new attitude with the source. best thing though is that you guys didn't try to carry it out too long. Diggin' the free-style around 2:30. Very groovy. XD

looking forward to more mixes from you two!

Hahaha, love the title here :nicework: You guys really did a good job of bringing out the melody from the original and doing a lot of expansive work on it without ever losing sight of what you were remixing. The glitchy breakdown at the end rocks too :-D

Grats to Bryan/Kater/Insixfour on your debut mix, and grats to Drew on another one for the books!!

I've tried and failed so many times to remix this tune. Each time I tried, it just didn't match up to the original. I can't figure out what I like so much about the original...

this one...also doesn't match up with the original --it changed that mysterious vibe thing I liked in the original.

However, I must embrace the changes here: This is AWESOME.

thank you for remixing this theme. so much. :D

/ramble

thanks for the comments everyone! we're both very humbled by all your kind words :)

regarding our roles in the production of this mix..

i had come up with the first :55 or so (save for the bass parts which were mostly Bry's doing) when i proposed the collab. from there it's still mostly my arrangement until 2:15, with Bry adding some of his own touches on top. he came up with the changeup from 2:15-2:48, and I slapped on the ending.

not a super-involved collab, but look out for our marble zone mix on the Sonic 1 album, which is quite the opposite (in that it's mostly his arrangement with some halc sprinkled on top :P), and probably a better demonstration of his personal style and skillz. :D

Too bad there's no item called "Moon Key" in the game, huh?

i see what you did there. clever. :P

Wow.. really awesome to finally see this on the front page. Brilliant work guys, I was hooked from the first rendition that made its way into the workshop and have been following on from there.

This is one AAA remix for a AAA source tune! Keep up the fabulous work.

So I finally have a chance to get on here and check out the post! Thanks to all of you for the very positive feedback. I am certainly overjoyed and I'm sure that halc is stoked. It has been a long time coming hanging out with halc and chtonic, and it was only a matter of time before I got into this. Wish I could say more but internet is limited! Three cheers and you all just wait ;) I have great things to show your ears haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ah, now this is nice and peaceful, with a little chip here and some beautiful melody there. I can really use this to chill out and study. Unbelievably solid and this is a great debut for insixfour and another win for halc.

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02141 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask "Serious Moon Business"