Zelda: LttP: Lost Woods Impressionist Piano Piece

docnano

Damn docnano, you are seriously talented! I loved it, really love how you are bringing such classical themes to VGM =)

The only thing I would love more is if I heard that rendition of the theme at 49secs in just cause I love that theme, good work. Sounds finished already lol (I'll have to get you to play some more amazing piano some time in the future!)

Holy bajeezus, this is a stellar performance. Very expansive, very interpretive, and plain beautiful. I have no critiques of this, I'd say submit it whenever you're ready and you think it's polished enough, but I can tell you right now that this level of performance quality is pretty much an automatic pass, as long as there's enough source usage in the mix (I don't have time to check right now for sure, so I'll trust you on that one.)

Good work man.

Chris: Thanks for the suggestion. I love the second theme as well, and I'll keep thinking hard about whether I can develop it a little further. And I'd love to do another collab with that violin of yours. :-)

ProtoDome: Heheh, thanks. I have to say, though, you run circles around me in the realms of creative electronic music and multipart mixing in general.

Emunator: Yeah, I'm not sure how the judges will like the amount of source. It has influences throughout, but is often heavily interpreted. In my next iteration I hope to bring out certain rhythms more to tie everything a little more closely.

Tydin, Swann, I appreciate the feedback. I've been working hard on this one, and now I'm encouraged to polish it up and submit ASAP!

I stopped listening to what i was already listening to when i saw "impressionist". a lot of my favorite composers/music comes from that time period.

after listening i do believe that there isn't enough source usage in this. there is usage of the source, but not enough to pass the panel. it gets very interpretive at parts and while still bearing some resemblance to the original, i don't think it's enough.

on a second listening even the source comes out more, but i think those specific lines that have the melody or fragments of the melody could be brought out more.

i'm coming up with something like less then half of the arrangement is derived from the source.

gorgeous arrangement, and very impressive work. i'd die to see more of this kind of work around (albeit with a little more source) :)

don't give up on it yet!

very enjoyable, i see the jeux d'eux referencing, very nice piece i do love ravel and debussy also. some of the chord progressions are more on the debussy side, but yeah i see some ravel style rhythmic devices, im not so great at writing impressionist my stuff normally ends up sounding more bach,mozart or chopin! but yeah brilliant homage with some originality thrown it there!

I just about fell out of my damn chair.

Goosebumps down the spine are definitely indicative of a stellar composition and rock solid performance. There is so much good going on here, my senses are overloaded.

I don't really think I can offer much in the form of constructive critique. This is so well produced, tastefully arranged, creatively manipulated, and deftly performed. I was incredibly sad to hear it end.

This should be in Mod Review, not WIP. This is far beyond the clunky, coarse mold of a WIP. This is distinctly polished to a unblemished shine. This is gold. Bravo, and I look forward to seeing this on the ACCEPTED list soon.

Firstly, wow. Secondly, wow.

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of impressionist music but this was beautiful, and it really did make me think of leaves in the wind (as I assume you intended to by your title). Really loved the pentatonic sections throughout btw. As for source usage, I personally think it's sufficient, and I can hear the source and its influence quite clearly throughout. And like many others, I can only dream of writing music anywhere close to this.

Whoops looks like this post offers no constructive comments, because frankly I'm in no position to critique this in any way. Great job, really.

Oh and if you already have it written out, would you mind sharing the sheet music for this? I'd very much rather look at this piece than most things by Debussy Ravel etc.

Protodome: It may be tough since there's a lot of dynamic contrast in the piece, and I suck at compression. But I'll see what I can do. :-)

evory: I'd be happy to share the sheet music, but I'm always too lazy to write it out. I could share the midi and maybe you could generate (un-quantized) sheet music from that. Let me know (private message or on this board) if you're interested.

Hemophiliac, TheReverend, Gintokipianist -- thanks so much for the feedback. I'm thinking about how to make the source references more evident without compromising what I have. I think it can be done!

Oh, and yep, the piece is meant to suggest leaves rustling and stirring through a veil of mist, constantly changing, playing tricks on your eyes and ears... I'm thinking about changing the title to English to get this point across, perhaps "Leaves Dancing in the Mist."

Hope I'm not breaching protocol too much by skipping the "Finished" stage. :smile: I'm almost ready to submit this (maybe with one or two more takes to see if I can clean it up just a tad, including eliminating that hum), but I am concerned about whether there is enough source in this mix to pass the judging panel.

Thanks for taking a look!

Source: 1. Lost Woods

2. Title Theme

(minor influence, mainly at the end)

alright, here's a very picky breakdown of what i find to be clear source use...:

:00-:07

:13-:21

:41-51

:59-1:16

1:18-1:30

1:30-1:33

1:38-1:43

2:01-2:09

2:12-2:17

75 seconds out of 154, or 48.7% by my count. there were a few lone 'tweedle-dees' in some of the original sections that might be able to grab you another second or two, and some bits were definitely reminiscent of the source, tho not directly connected. it's a tough call, and the judges will no doubt be stopwatching it too. if you can get another few seconds of direct source use in there (or if I've missed anything, in which case please correct me), then this is a surefire pass. otherwise, a very close call. and a kickass mix, regardless :D

edit: forgot to include the intro theme at the end in my breakdown... probably puts this over the bar. the way you've modified the key actually makes it reminiscent of the triforce chamber theme too- cool stuff. :P

nice work!

Thanks, halc! I appreciate the detailed look. Probably individual judges will differ about what they consider close enough to the source material, but I trust your judgment more than mine.

I have some residual ideas about expanding one of the themes a bit, but in my mind this is really a finished piece. I'll let it sit for a while, and then probably submit as polished a version as I can record.

Just post the source usage in your submission post, that way they know how much was used. Just wanted to say fantastic work again and good luck with the judges.

If you ever wanna collab...

You know... ;)

Likewise, man. If we found a place where our sounds mesh well, the result could be mind-blowing, or at the very least interesting. :smile: